spc
uniqs
ancodia
join:2006-07-10
canada

ancodia to BrettD

to BrettD

Re: [Voip.ms] voip.ms compromised the privacy of Canadian teleph

Well I'm pissed about this for a different reason. I'm trying to get work done and I start getting complaints that some of the inbound lines are down. After spending 10 minutes checking into it I see that voip.ms changed SOME of my DID #'s (without permission or notice) to Tampa & knocked them offline! WTF. FU voip.ms, F U
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

1 recommendation

Mango

Premium Member

This is a configuration issue that can typically be solved on the user side. If you configure your device or PBX with the hostname toronto.voip.ms instead of the IP address, your device should fail over automatically when they change the A record. If it didn't do that, I suggest you ask in the forums for advice, or contact VoIP.ms.
sokhapkin
Premium Member
join:2003-05-08
North Fort Myers, FL

2 recommendations

sokhapkin to ancodia

Premium Member

to ancodia
said by ancodia:

Well I'm pissed about this for a different reason. I'm trying to get work done and I start getting complaints that some of the inbound lines are down. After spending 10 minutes checking into it I see that voip.ms changed SOME of my DID #'s (without permission or notice) to Tampa & knocked them offline! WTF. FU voip.ms, F U

Let me guess - you run something based on asterisk and have dnsmgr turned off. Am I right? It's a typical example of user error.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM

1 recommendation

XCOM to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
said by Mango:

This is a configuration issue that can typically be solved on the user side. If you configure your device or PBX with the hostname toronto.voip.ms instead of the IP address, your device should fail over automatically when they change the A record. If it didn't do that, I suggest you ask in the forums for advice, or contact VoIP.ms.

Nice catch.
ancodia
join:2006-07-10
canada

ancodia to sokhapkin

to sokhapkin
said by sokhapkin:

said by ancodia:

Let me guess - you run something based on asterisk and have dnsmgr turned off. Am I right? It's a typical example of user error.

? When they moved the DID home to a different server (to Tampa), the device is still connected to the original server so the inbound call fails. The ip address on the A records for each server didn't change.

Maybe they should tell their customers before they start f*cking with their accounts.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

It did from here.

avocet:~# host toronto.voip.ms
toronto.voip.ms has address 68.233.226.97
avocet:~# host tampa.voip.ms
tampa.voip.ms has address 68.233.226.97

Expand your moderator at work
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan to sokhapkin

Premium Member

to sokhapkin

said by sokhapkin:

How often does Asterisk re-lookups a DNS entry for a server it's registering to? I'd think this would be based on the TTL for the DNS entry, is it not?
sokhapkin
Premium Member
North Fort Myers, FL

sokhapkin

Premium Member

No, it is a parameter in dnsmgr.conf.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM

XCOM to nitzan

Premium Member

to nitzan
said by nitzan:

said by sokhapkin:

How often does Asterisk re-lookups a DNS entry for a server it's registering to? I'd think this would be based on the TTL for the DNS entry, is it not?

You can specify the time it does the look up...

refreshinterval=3600
nitzan
Premium Member

nitzan to sokhapkin

Premium Member

to sokhapkin
I realize that, but if dnsmgr is turned off (it's off by default at least on some versions) - wouldn't Asterisk re-lookup a DNS entry after it's expired (TTL) anyway?? if not then that's a serious design flaw...
Expand your moderator at work
sokhapkin
Premium Member
North Fort Myers, FL

1 recommendation

sokhapkin to nitzan

Premium Member

to nitzan

said by nitzan:

I realize that, but if dnsmgr is turned off (it's off by default at least on some versions) - wouldn't Asterisk re-lookup a DNS entry after it's expired (TTL) anyway?? if not then that's a serious design flaw...

No, it will not re-lookup! When dnsmgr is off asterisk does name resolution once and forever.
nitzan
Premium Member

nitzan

Premium Member

said by sokhapkin:

No, it will not re-lookup! When dnsmgr is off asterisk does name resolution once and forever.

Interesting. That makes zero sense. The whole point of having a TTL is to have lookups refreshed when they expire... oh well, good to know.
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

config files and name resolution

said by nitzan:

said by sokhapkin:

Interesting. That makes zero sense. The whole point of having a TTL is to have lookups refreshed when they expire... oh well, good to know.

What, in your opinion, would then be the point of the supposed dnsmgr?

It actually makes perfect sense when you think about it from the programming perspective: name resolution is only done when you load the config, so TTL plays no role whatsoever.

Basically, such a setup is only one step further from hardcoding IP-addresses by hand. A lot of system tools are designed like this (for one, firewalls come to mind, and ping, and ssh, and basically every other simple tool).