Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

Badger3k to Pollux7777

Premium Member

to Pollux7777

Re: Speculation: What does it take to be #1?

Aren't most of the #1 Raiders/Guilds all professional gamers? I know Dream Paragon is and I'm pretty sure Method is too.

Pollux7777
join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Pollux7777

Ahh so there are professional WoW players? I'm not super familar with E-sports (ugh I hate that term). I know there are some FPS games and StarCraft players who have professional sponsors, but I didn't know that WoW did.

I'm curious what that must be like. How many hours a day do they have to put in, etc. I wonder if once you get to that level if it's even fun anymore, or if it just feels like a job.

Caelharrad, I don't know where the hostility is coming from? I asked a simple question because I was curious what it takes to be among the best of the best. Your response was completely worthless and I dont know why you even bothered typing it.

Caelharrad
join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO

Caelharrad

said by Pollux7777:

Caelharrad, I don't know where the hostility is coming from? I asked a simple question because I was curious what it takes to be among the best of the best. Your response was completely worthless and I dont know why you even bothered typing it.

For what it's worth, I think your topic is worthless, so we're even. Hostility came from this: you are asking "what it takes to be among the best of the best", or "what it takes to be in a world first raider type guild". Among the factors you list in your answer: race; gender; age; housing status; geographical location. Why do any of those factors have anything to do with success/skill at WoW? I'd list things like hand-eye coordination; high IQ; patience; lots of free time; quick reflexes; etc. One could say that your response would imply that blacks/Latinos are inferior at WoW; that females are inferior at WoW; etc. Are you saying that, or did I misunderstand??
Let's say I start the following topic: "What does it take to be #1? I want to know what it takes to get admitted to one of the top-10 colleges/universities in the world. What do you think the average successful applicant is like? I have no idea, but I'll speculate: white male from the suburbs, with a family income over $100,000." Would I not deserve to get flamed to hell? Maybe your average Harvard freshman DOES resemble that archetype, but I wouldn't say that those who don't belong to that group are at a disadvantage.
There's a difference between "what is the average elite raider like", and "what does it take to be an elite raider". Perhaps I'm just confused about the purpose of the topic, and I'm over-reacting.

Pollux7777
join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Pollux7777

Haha ya, you are over reacting. I think you read a little too much into the question, bud.

Pretty much ALL of those factors have EVERYTHING to do with "success" at wow. The only slightly racist thing that one could possibly mistakenly infer from what I said was the fact that I listed white as one of the possible traits. I listed that for two reasons. Like 80% of the people I know who play WoW are white males, and many of the top guilds are European, which is predominantly white. In no way did I suggest that white people are superior, but for some reason you latched onto that. As far as age, housing status and geographical location, well those all make a big difference in this case. I don't know of any poor Kenyan 8 year olds who are in raiding guilds. Likewise, having great eye-hand reflexes doesnt mean squat if you are a 35 year old famiy man with a mortgage and kids and can only play a couple hours a week.

I guess what my original question was, "who are the elite players, and what kinds of lives do they have that allow them to dedicate their lives to warcraft?"
Pollux7777

Pollux7777

Follow up: I'm also curious about the very best guilds recruiting practices. I imagine they recruite worldwide. So does that mean that exceptional american players get recruited into the top european guilds and vice versa? If so, does the latency affect their performance? Or do guilds pretty much stick to their global area (ie Asian guilds stick together, European guilds together, etc)