how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pwilde

join:2012-12-21
Milton, ON

[INTERNET] 53gb upload in one day?!?

So the Cogeco usage page is claiming I somehow uploaded 53gb in one day, which on a 1.5mb upload connection is physically impossible by quite a significant margin. Given that they charge $1 per gig overage, are these kind of errors common? I've only been with them for a month, but won't be for much longer if this keeps up...

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

I know some people have seen errors like this in the past. I myself have not, but this is something you'll likely need to talk to a supervisor about. From what I remember from the threads, the first contact people on the phone don't get the physical limits of the connection. Now, I could be wrong, they might have become better informed.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to pwilde

Front line reps will accuse you of everything from A to Z. The rep I spoke to said he has 4 people in his house and uses only 10GBs. This was on a 70GB overage. Don't hold your breath.

iamjimsmith

join:2004-01-25
Georgetown, ON
reply to pwilde

The $276 overage charge I received back in july 2012 finally got me off my ass and switch to standard broadband $44.99 per month and it is unlimited.I also moved my phone to them as well. the next phase of my plan to finally rid myself of Cogeco for good is to get an antenna

pwilde

Milton, ON

Happened again yesterday, another phantom 50gig upload - the common denominator seems to be a modem reboot on the day it happens. I tried to get standard broadband but unfortunately a neighbours tree prevents the line of sight to their tower, so it was cable or go back to bell for dsl (never going to happen). I'm going to be switching to start.ca I think, this is ridiculous.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by pwilde:

Happened again yesterday, another phantom 50gig upload - the common denominator seems to be a modem reboot on the day it happens. I tried to get standard broadband but unfortunately a neighbours tree prevents the line of sight to their tower, so it was cable or go back to bell for dsl (never going to happen). I'm going to be switching to start.ca I think, this is ridiculous.

You'll get overages with Start unless Cogeco fixes this once & for all. Probably more likely to get this fixed while still a client of Cogeco.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP
Expand your moderator at work

pwilde

Milton, ON
reply to resa1983

Re: [INTERNET] 53gb upload in one day?!?

If it's the modem, I'll be getting a new one from start. Also, I thought start didn't charge for uploads? The problem only seems to be upstream tracking, downloads seem to be tracking about right.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by pwilde:

Also, I thought start didn't charge for uploads?

They charge for traffic, up or down.

Mike

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
kudos:1
reply to pwilde

We're starting to see more and more stories of errors coming from cogeco customers. I guess they reckon people are used to caps now - time to GOUGE!

What a shitty company...

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

They charge for traffic, up or down.

Only down in Cogecoland. They don't monitor upstream.

poopypoo

@bell.ca

Cogeco DEFINITELY monitors upstream. And they charge for it too.

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON
reply to Gone

They charge for TOTAL usage, not just downloads.

Upload and Download are still usage

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

Cogeco does. Start doesn't.

pwilde

Milton, ON
reply to pwilde

Just a quick update - I got them to waive the $50 overage fee they wanted to charge me, but they insisted this was a "one time goodwill gesture" so I cancelled the service. Congratulations Cogeco, greed + incompetence means you'll never see another single dollar from me, never mind the $150 a month I would have been paying for the forseeable future.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

said by pwilde:

Just a quick update - I got them to waive the $50 overage fee they wanted to charge me, but they insisted this was a "one time goodwill gesture" so I cancelled the service. Congratulations Cogeco, greed + incompetence means you'll never see another single dollar from me, never mind the $150 a month I would have been paying for the forseeable future.

Morons, but they don't care, your $150/month is peanuts compared to the 100K+ paying $150/month
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to pwilde

said by pwilde:

Good stuff.

I for one am actually glad Cogeco is giving UBB such a black eye and showing it for the gouge 'n' fraud pony show that it is.

The government really needs to step in here. It's obscene what these companies are doing.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

pwilde

Milton, ON

I wouldn't have minded if it was bandwidth I'd actually used, I understood the cap when I signed up for it - but I refuse to do business with a company that cheerfully defrauds their customers and then acts like they are doing you a favour when you catch them out.

tristen1230

join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON
reply to Phorkster

True. They refused to send out a service tek and blaming it on ME because my internet and television was out. They FINALLY sent one out and a squirell chewed on the wire outside near the telephone place.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

said by tristen1230:

....a squirrel chewed on the wire outside near the telephone place.

Pesky rodents !

Lucky it wasn't a Bell Beaver !

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
reply to pwilde

I had this problem just before I called in to cancel. It was actually the reason I called in. When I talked to front line tech, they actually asked me to multiply the number of hours in a day versus the speed of my cable and "proved" that it was "physically possible to upload Nth number of gigabytes in a day"

I told them flat out that even though it may have been possible, I didn't transfer that much data in one day (it was aroudn 65gb) and that I was NOT paying overage. I cancelled my account on the spot, told them to come pick up their cable modem and get out of my life.

Just call in, and raise hell. Refuse to pay. Laywer up.