Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

NYC - Rockaway Park - upstream speed nearly dead

So since power came back after hurricane sandy everything been great, my old upstream packet loss problem been fixed long ago and for past 3 weeks I had no issues with speed or packet loss.

Today at 7pm all of the sudden upstream speed died. When I say died I mean it either times out freezes or comes to about 0.1Mbit on any speedtest. My signal levels look same as always clean.

I called level 3 tech and he confirmed that all my signal levels and power levels look great, he checked upstream SNR for me and all channels showed 30db or greater, he did however confirm when he ran a test from his location on network to my modem that there was 30% packet loss on data sent from me to him. I confirmed packet loss on upstream with tests to be about 35% aside from the fact sometimes I cannot even open or run a test.

I am on 50/5 package and had no problems for over a month especially when it came to speed. Considering signal levels look fine and steady including upstread snr I wonder if this issue is occuring on time warner network itself at the moment. I can barely open sites or download anything, downloading flash update took me nearly an hour.

So currently I have about 30% packet loss (confirmed by level 3 tech) and my upstream speed is about 0.1Mbit but its not constant often it will be 0(dead).

I seriously hope whatever this is is resolved on their end before holiday break because nearest appointment for a tech I can get would be next year...

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

I had a similar issue earlier this week in Manhattan - upstream was tested between .001 and .1 mps. Spent at least half an hour on the phone with a RR rep who said he reset my connection twice but there was no change. Six hours later everything was back to normal. Then yesterday we had a "known outage" for both TV and Internet but once it finally came back up everything was Hopefully will get resolved soon too.

tymoney321

join:2007-04-08
Flushing, NY
reply to kilrathi

Same problem here (Flushing NY). Upstream times out or extremely slow. Only difference is I've had this problem for over a month. It tends to start around 8pmest.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi

Wow tymoney you had this going for over a month? Have u managed to get plant tech to check whats going on? I sure as hell hope this wont continue because this is total bs as far as 50/5 service. I have to copy my replies even here before i submit because sometimes it times out when i click post now, barely able to browse pages. I seen some T3 timeout errors now too which corresponds to upstream problem, however level 3 did tell me the upstream snr was fine so I am at a loss as to whats going on. I hope its something on time warner network/routing itself. This is quite horrible, I cannot download anything unless u think dial up speeds are fine, I cannot chat with my buddies or stream on twitch due to no upstream and packet loss, Barely able to open pages, sometimes takes forever, Unable to play any games really due to excessive packet loss on the upstream and almost no upstream speed. When I traceroute I see a lot of * on the tw network routers randomily everywhere, before today when I did that it used to be all fast and clean as well. Again modem itself shows signals steady all in perfect readings, but there are t3 timeout errors popping up, assuming I believe the level 3 tech when he read my upstream snr to be 30 then thats all good as well... so I am lost as to whats going on. But one thing is certain currently this is horrible, plus you cannot get a tech until after first week of january..... which is like are they serious?

I will be looking for time warner trucks around area for next few days to see if I can hunt someone down and hopefully take a look at whats going on here in queens and time warner.
After all I am on "Ultimate Internet 50/5" that was working fine until today since October 20.

VisualWare speedtest:
»mcsiad.visualware.com/myspeed/db···d=992903

Further, now my modem log is also full of these errors:

Dec 21 2012 21:50:45 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=#############;CMTS-MAC=############;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Dec 21 2012 21:50:32 3-Critical D02.0 DHCP FAILED - Request sent, No response;CM-MAC=###############;CMTS-MAC=#############;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Dec 21 2012 21:50:12 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=#############;CMTS-MAC=###########;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Dec 21 2012 21:49:55 3-Critical I02.0 REG RSP not received;CM-MAC=###########;CMTS-MAC=###########;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Dec 21 2012 21:49:55 4-Error I271.0 T6 Timeout and retries exceeded;CM-MAC=##:##:##:##:##:##;CMTS-MAC=##:##:##:##:###:##;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
(commented mac addressed out of course)

These results however are not very reliable because it takes me about 5 tests to actually have a test finish as usually they just freeze "connecting" on upstream part and its usually just a burst of speed and rest of the time is flat 0.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

Next day(saturday) at around noon packet loss stopped and upstream came back all to normal, T3 timeout errors stopped.

At around same time client relations called me that they managed to get me an appointment sunday 8am, at the time I accepted it, however since noon saturday and so far until 4 am sunday everything is fine as it was before friday 6 pm, so it seems whatever that was going on was resolved(hopefully for good).

I did notice under rr mainteance page this on saturday though:

Red 12/22/2012 11:50:29 AM THE 9000-9200 BLOCKS OF HOLLAND AVE THE 8600-8800 AND 9000-9200 BLOCKS OF ROCKAWAY BEACH BLVD THE 100-200 BLOCKS OF BEACH 91ST ST

For partial service outtages. Kinda interesting that at around same time that was added the problem went away, maybe whatever was causing the issue for me was temporarly cut off so they can fix it... just guessing, further that area is about 12 blocks from me which is not far.

I am rescheduling the appointment however as there will be no point to get the technician here today since right now there are no problems, I will reschedule till next week thrs and hopefully will be able to cancel if the problem never returns.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

I have read your past post and you have been posting the same on my post. I too have been going through T3 timeout slow upload hell since August 26th. I too have days when my upload goes to hell yet then I have weeks when it is fine. I called Level 3 support so many times. I had my modem swapped six times then I bought my own. Had a new cable drop run though to the backyard which then it was fine for about two weeks.

What really ticks me off is that Level 3 called me on December 4th saying the problem was fixed. I though great I will have no problems anymore as it was fine before for a couple of weeks. Then on December 12th my upload speed goes to crap and I get the modem lights show I am connected yet I can't ping or load crap. They put a monitor on my modem and then the next day it goes out the same day. Then it is fine for a few days and then starts again with the upload slowing down and going dead right when watching Netflix at around 10:30 pm.

Then I have a worthless tech come which did crap. All he wanted to do was swap my purchased modem. All the logs I gave Level 3 support he did not even want to look at it and he disconnected my cable hooked it up to his meter and he said my signal was fine. Of course at 10:00 am it is fine and then leaves without doing any work. This crap starts around 7 pm but not everyday though.

Then this week Sunday at 12:30 am the upload slows down. It has been fine so far now however I even when I have full download speed Netflix does not stream good anymore sometimes dropping down to crappy picture quality.

If FiOS was available in my area I would have already switched over but TWC holds my area hostage because they are the only high speed provider besides DSL which is worse.