Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

[Digital TV] Video freezing

What causes the video to freeze for moments, to several seconds?

I used to think it was a signal issue, then I saw a satellite commercial making fun of "the cable freeze" or something along those lines, which lead me to believe it's a bandwidth issue.

I know when I watch streaming video on the web, I sometimes see the same type of behavior, where the video will freeze but the audio will continue unaffected.

Anyway, what gives... Its starting to drive me crazy.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
OK, maybe no one knows what causes this issue, but do other people know what I'm talking about, or maybe experience it themselves?

--

Lindsey

join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV
reply to gatorkram
not sure if its same thing you get..but every site I visit that has a video on it or a moving ad,everything freeze for a few sec that goes fine..I have tried everything to fix it, but cant

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to gatorkram
I get this often, once or twice a day. More often in the summer. And for whatever reason it'll freeze and stutter on like 75% of all SL commercials. Gave up on attempting to fix it. If a tech comes out, it doesn't freeze for the 2 seconds he watches tv, says signal is fine, leaves. Phone support is clueless like always.

Speaking of which, why do they even bother with phone support? I've yet to get anything working with them.
--
30/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Lindsey
said by Lindsey:

not sure if its same thing you get..but every site I visit that has a video on it or a moving ad,everything freeze for a few sec that goes fine..I have tried everything to fix it, but cant

I was talking about actual tv video, not stuff on the web. I mentioned the web, as it sometimes does the same things.
--

Lindsey

join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV
reply to gatorkram
ya.the phone ppl have no clue and thats the way it always is..someone comes out and problem isnt there

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to moldypickle
said by moldypickle:

I get this often, once or twice a day. More often in the summer. And for whatever reason it'll freeze and stutter on like 75% of all SL commercials. Gave up on attempting to fix it. If a tech comes out, it doesn't freeze for the 2 seconds he watches tv, says signal is fine, leaves. Phone support is clueless like always.

Speaking of which, why do they even bother with phone support? I've yet to get anything working with them.

It seems to come in waves for me. Never noticed it on SL commercials. It seems to happen more often for me, on actual cable channels, and not like the local networks, though I can't be sure it's never happened on them.

Very annoying when it happens, for sure.
--

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Lindsey
said by Lindsey:

ya.the phone ppl have no clue and thats the way it always is..someone comes out and problem isnt there

Its surely not the type of problem someone could come out, and experience, as it's so random. They'd have to put some type of equipment on the line I guess, to monitor for the issue.

Like I said in my first post, I don't think it's a signal issue, I think they jam to much information into a limited space, and sometimes it causes "lag"

Someone with more knowledge of how the system works could probably explain it better, and describe what is actually going on.
--

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
If it was something akin to lag, wouldn't we have to be using an iptv system and not a continuous feed from the headend?

Only other channel than locals i watch are amc and scifi (hate the new name and lineup) and a little bit of trutv. They all freeze from time to time so it's not just local