spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ben N

@wideopenwest.com

Consistently slow download speeds in Arlington Heights area

We are getting abysmally low download speeds on our (my family's) W.O.W. internet account. The package we have is the minimum bandwidth offered: 2 mb/s down with 1mb/s up. The problem is we have been getting down speeds no higher than 270-280 kb/s for all of the 8-10 years we've been with W.O.W. I only realized that there was a problem relatively recently when I found out what our bandwidth actually should be (my father is the account-holder; he didn't pay much attention to the speeds).

The odd thing is that the W.O.W. speedtest reports 2 mb down/1 up. When a system on the network is downloading however, the bandwidth suddenly drops to 250-280 kb/s. I had a technician come out to the house to examine the problem but he was unable to fix it. He said his superiors suggested there was a firewall or some program causing the problem, but I have since ruled out any fault with any of the users connected to the network.

Can a W.O.W. rep offer assistance on this? As you can probably understand, we would like to get our money's worth out of this bandwidth. As you can also no doubt imagine, 250-280 kb/s is pretty sparse for a family of five.

adymax

join:2012-03-14
Rolling Meadows, IL
Ben if you run a speed test here: »www.speedtest.net/ What speed are you getting? Downloading files speed depends on a lot of factors but download speed is usually limited by the server bandwidth were the files are and by the traffic on the network/bottlenecks. Also consider when downloading speed is usually shown in KB/MB but a speed test and your wow speed is in kb/Mb. 1Byte=8 bits

Ben N

@wideopenwest.com
This is what I got from speedtest.net:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2387627601.png

So if I wanted down speeds somewhere closer to 2 MB/s I would need to purchase a more expensive package that included 20-30 Mb/s down?

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Ben N :

This is what I got from speedtest.net:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2387627601.png

So if I wanted down speeds somewhere closer to 2 MB/s I would need to purchase a more expensive package that included 20-30 Mb/s down?

Per your link, it appears you are getting what you should be (2/1meg). Not sure what your issue is. My parents are on that tier, and it is painfully slow in this day and age. Personally I would upgrade to the 15meg tier for $10 extra.

I'm also in AH, and while I get a really crappy signal, I do get the speeds that I'm supposed to. ANd I am really far from the "pod", which is partly why I get a bad signal. I recently upgraded to the 30meg tier.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2388622880.png

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Ben N
After re-reading your post, I think you may be confusing the speeds you should get via a speed test versus downloading. I'm on the 30meg plan, and when I download at max speeds it shows as 3-4MB/s. If you are getting 250-280 kb/s, that is about what you should get on the 2meg tier. As adymax mentioned, it is a byte vs. bit conversion.

Not sure how old you are, or if you work. But maybe offer to your parents to kick in a few bucks per month and get on the 15meg tier, or just ask them. You get 5x the bandwidth for $10 per month. And if you have more than 1-2 people in the household, you really need more that 2meg.

Ben N

@wideopenwest.com
That is a fantastic idea clocks, and I'm going to see if I can make it happen. Also, thanks for clarifying on the byte vs bit issue!