Search similar:

uniqs
Hammer75
join:2012-12-21
Kingsville, ON

Hammer75

[INTERNET] Arris TG862G wireless modem

Hi,

New to cogeco internet and having problems with my internet connection. I always lose internet connection and I have poor signal strength. I have already upgraded the firmware and used diffrent channels. Any ideas? Thank you

sofawall
@cgocable.net

sofawall

Anon

I would advise bridging your wireless modem and using a normal router. Sure, Cogeco won't support it, but everyone I've talked to vis a vis the wireless modems has had nothing good to say about them, and it's not just Cogeco. Other ISPs (Rogers, for example) use the same modems and have the same issues.

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy to Hammer75

to Hammer75
Former tech here... those modems are the biggest pieces of crap going round these days. Downgrade to a standard modem and buy your own router.

Also just a FYI, cogeco has complete control and eyes on your wireless SSID and password from their end. Not so secure.

Keep this in mind, Cogecos wireless system has been delayed for over a year, and when it did launch 6 months ago, it was still bug ridden.

crosss
@quickclic.net

crosss

Anon

although cogeco can log into router, their password changes every 24 hours. but yes modem signal strength crap. issues with lease times and apple product issues. bridge modem and supply your own wireless. current tech other provider. if you are able to see the gateway, 192.168.0.1 user admin/password. login and change settings. cogeco may not be able to see in if you change the admin settings.
nony
Premium Member
join:2012-11-17
New York, NY

nony to coaxguy

Premium Member

to coaxguy
said by coaxguy:

Also just a FYI, cogeco has complete control and eyes on your wireless SSID and password from their end. Not so secure.

If you think that is bad, TWC uses the model number concatenated with the MAC address as the default PSK. And they use the model number as the SSID. And users can't change those defaults, as they are locked out of the config GUI. And this info was published in an Esquire piece this past July. And they are still deploying to unwitting subscribers.

-nony