Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz

Re: RIM Earnings Out, Stock Surges

said by Guspaz:

It's perfectly fine to call an Apple Macintosh an Apple, because it is; it's an Apple computer.

No, an "Apple computer" is a the name of a line of long-discontinued computers, the last of which was the Apple IIgs that was discontinued in 1992. The computer product sold now is called Macintosh, shortened to Mac.

Do you call your iPad or your iPhone an "Apple" ?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by Gone:

said by Guspaz:

It's perfectly fine to call an Apple Macintosh an Apple, because it is; it's an Apple computer.

No, an "Apple computer" is a the name of a line of long-discontinued computers, the last of which was the Apple IIgs that was discontinued in 1992. The computer product sold now is called Macintosh, shortened to Mac.

Do you call your iPad or your iPhone an "Apple" ?

Toyota Camry can be called "a Toyota". Apple Macintosh can be called "an Apple".

You can call an iPad "The Apple iPad", or "the Apple tablet". You could call it "the Apple" only in the context of tablets, since that name would, out of context, be normally assumed to belong to their computers (which have been called an "apple" for much longer).

I grew up with the things, lots of people called the mac an Apple.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

I grew up with the things too, having used Macs since the 80s back when most kids were playing on C64s.

You could call it the Piece of Poop On a Logic Board for all I care. It's still a Macintosh. Even though everyone calls them Apples and everyone understands what they mean, a Mac is made by Apple, but it of itself is not an Apple. Those were discontinued 20 years ago.

If Toyota made a product called the "Toyota" it is unlikely anyone would ever call their Corolla a "Toyota" today without further qualifying it.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

I'm going to start calling Corollas, Camrys, Prius', "Toyotas" from now on. I'm also going to call computers "hard drives" and it's built by "LG" cause that's the name on my monitor.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

I'm also going to call computers "hard drives"

You asshole.

IIgs
Premium Member
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC

IIgs to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Guspaz:

I grew up with the things too, having used Macs since the 80s back when most kids were playing on C64s.

You could call it the Piece of Poop On a Logic Board for all I care. It's still a Macintosh. Even though everyone calls them Apples and everyone understands what they mean, a Mac is made by Apple, but it of itself is not an Apple. Those were discontinued 20 years ago.

If Toyota made a product called the "Toyota" it is unlikely anyone would ever call their Corolla a "Toyota" today without further qualifying it.

I agree. A Macintosh is certainly an Apple product, or a computer manufactured BY Apple, but it is not an "Apple" per say. That is an entirely different family line of computer.

It started with the "Apple 1" in 1976. That evolved in the "Apple II" in 1977, and by 1980 the "Apple III". There were variations of the latter two computers (i.e. Plus, e, c, c+, III+) but at no point were any of these even remotely related to the 1984 Macintosh and its later variations. One line was Apple, the others was Mac.

The Apple IIGS was interesting though, it was a hybrid cross of the Apple and Macintosh, almost a bridge between the two lines.

Also interesting, there never was a Macintosh with the badge "Apple Macintosh" on the case or motherboard (whereas the Apple line had the word "Apple" on the case, right next to the rainbow logo).