join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to gateguy

to gateguy

Re: [iPhone] Woman tasered after trying to buy too many iPhones

said by gateguy:

said by haroldo:

She was requested to leave the store

In English, the report says that she only speaks Chinese. So, how is she supposed to be able to understand the "peace officers" request.

Imagine you visit France (or some other country where YOU dont know the language) and the police start talking to you. Then you get tazered for not complying.

give me a break. You're telling me that if an armed and uniformed officer of the law approaches you...after an altercation and a problem you had with a merchant...and you didn't understand the native language, you won't be able to understand their gestures and request?
I don't speak Russian, but if i were in Moscow and police officer was called as a result of my behavior and gestured to me, you bet your arse that I'd remain calm and do what ever I could to comply.
I know where all being theoretical here, but do you really believe there is one grown woman on the face of the planet who doesn't understand what a police uniform in a civil society represents?
Really?
gateguy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-12
Reisterstown, MD

gateguy

Premium Member

You are making the assumption she understood that it was an altercation.

You are making the assumption she understood that she was being asked to leave.

You are making the assumption the "peace officer" was not overly aggressive. You know the type, do what I say now or else.

You are making quite a few assumptions.

Per the video, she does not speak English.

And yes I do not believe there is one grown woman on the face of the planet who doesn't understand what a police uniform in a civil society represents?

But what the officer represents and what he is trying to communicate are two very different things.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan

Premium Member

You have a responsibility to have a fundamental ability to communicate when you are visiting another country. When I go to Japan, I have translation software for Kanji and an ability to communicate. I wouldn't go to China unless I took a few week course in Chinese for travelers AND carry a translation device, which if she can be buying a half dozen iPhones, she could also buy.

Chinese understand "No" in English and would understand gestures to leave. She obviously was able to communicate enough to buy iPhones the previous week and come back requesting more.

No would be the clue to simply leave not start arguing with the store's manager.

I'll make the assumption that she got irate when not permitted to buy the extra phones that are certainly not for her "family" and got even more irate when asked to leave then even more irate when the police asked her to leave and resisted when she was finally placed under arrest for refusing to leave.

Cops don't want to arrest people, especially in a mall. It's a pain in the ass and a bunch of extra work when they can get the same money for standing around bullshitting. She isn't going to be arrested unless she is arguing with the police instead of simply walking away.
watice
join:2008-11-01
New York, NY

watice to gateguy

to gateguy
Generally, when you fall to the ground yelling, it means you're not leaving. That's refusal to comply, not a language barrier. She was tased for that reason. You're making the assumption that this took place in a court of law, and you were her defense attorney.
gateguy
Premium Member
Reisterstown, MD

gateguy

Premium Member

said by watice:

Generally, when you fall to the ground yelling, it means you're not leaving. That's refusal to comply, not a language barrier. She was tased for that reason. You're making the assumption that this took place in a court of law, and you were her defense attorney.

I have seen this video 5 times now. At no point in the supplied video is it stated that she was on the ground yelling before she was asked to leave.

Do you have a source other than the video to back up your claim?

Otherwise, your statement "She was tased for that reason" is erroneous.

I am making no assumptions, I am watching the video. What are you watching and reading to come up with such a different viewpoint.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

1 edit

haroldo

The video didn't show what happened to precipitate the use of the taser. As such it does not show a true picture of the events, it's merely a cut and paste to make the story look bad for the police (and the evil profit seeking corporation)

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to gateguy

Premium Member

to gateguy
said by gateguy:

you are making the assumption she doesn't speak or understand English.

from my 2 decades of experience in retail, many "foreign" people play the "don't speak English" card, despite actually being able to speak it or at least understand it, when it benefits them...the article stated she had already been there a couple of days prior to purchase some phones, so if she can't speak or understand English, how on Earth did she make that purchase to begin with??...point to an iPhone on the counter, show 2 fingers (for quantity of 2) and hand over a credit card??...come on.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by gateguy:

you are making the assumption she doesn't speak or understand English.

from my 2 decades of experience in retail, many "foreign" people play the "don't speak English" card, despite actually being able to speak it or at least understand it, when it benefits them...

I hate to say it, but when I worked retail I found this to be true as well. It was simply amazing how quickly they learned english when something had rang up wrong on their receipt LOL!
gateguy
Premium Member
Reisterstown, MD

gateguy to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
I am making no assumption.

In the video the daughter clearly states that her mother speaks no English.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Credible witness right there...no way she would be covering for her.
gateguy
Premium Member
Reisterstown, MD

gateguy

Premium Member

The same could be said of the police chief. No way he would be covering for his officers.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan

Premium Member

Which is why it should be looked at logically. Why would two officers who have a cush assignment generate a ton of work for themselves? They wouldn't without reason. Occam's razor. She got pissed when she couldn't get the phones because it meant tons of lost black market money. She threw a fit in the store and then mouthed off to the cops to the point she was arrested at which time she resisted and got tazed.

And I know many Chinese, including non-English speakers and all of them would understand "no" and indications to leave the store. And more importantly all of them know not to lip off or otherwise argue with police. If they point and tell them to leave...even if it is in Pig Latin, they'll leave.
Expand your moderator at work