how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DayWalker

join:2004-01-16
San Antonio, TX

Torrent Programs Stalls my connection

I have tried two different programs and each one nearly freezes and in most instances altogether crashes my internet connection. I am currently behind my Router which is assigning all the addresses to my devices including my computer. That router is using the signal being fed into my house through the Ubee modem my Provider gave me, i prefer to use my router to assign addresses because i feel as though i have more freedom to make changes etc over my connection.

As much as i like this setup I am wondering if i have it configured correctly because my connection nearly shuts down when i open a torrenting program and there doesn't even have to be any data being transferred. The transfer will be very slow and my internet connection still isn't functional. I initially thought that i maybe had the speed settings in my torrenting program turned too high but there will be a trickle if any data moving so i know its not that the program is robbing me all of my bandwidth... Even after i shut the torrent program down the connection is still horrible and then it will eventually regain its function after a couple of minutes. I have done speed tests and my DL Speed and Ping times are good. I cant figure it out.

Pls Help

Ubee ddw3611 with WiFi turned off

Linksys WRT420n. Running DD-WRT

seamore
Premium
join:2009-11-02

1 edit

i have no advice but to be careful with torrents

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to DayWalker

Could be anything really. I would try Wireshark or something to see if it can tell you anything.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to DayWalker

Two thoughts. 1) Check the number of connections. A high number of connections can hang the router. 2) If your upload is being saturated, it will kill the download as well.
--
Google is your Friend

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Dogg:

2) If your upload is being saturated, it will kill the download as well.

+1 Can't be emphasized enough.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

DayWalker

San Antonio, TX

Thx Guys let me check on that although i don't remember it being set too high either..Again i haven't noticed much if any data being transferred when i'm experiencing the issue

Newsuser

@eastlink.ca

I have used a number of Linksys routers over the years. They don't care for a lot of connections (I believe the number is around 256 connections combined in and out) before they lock up your connection. Make sure your connections are not to high and Linksys routers also love to be rebooted a lot (your internet connection will diminish over time even without a lot of connections). Good luck with your problem.

PastTense

join:2011-07-06
united state
reply to DayWalker

Try connecting your computer directly to your modem (bypassing the router). [Be sure you have a software firewall installed.]

What happens then?

sandman_1

reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

said by Dogg:

+1 Can't be emphasized enough.

Maybe for a DSL connection that may happen but he or she has the same modem as I do and I suspect TW cable as his or her ISP. I can max out my upload and still get near max download on my 30Mbps tier.

DayWalker

San Antonio, TX

YEA EXACTLY....Sandman_1... All of what you said is correct same tier and everything...It used to work but I cant figure our what the problem is I am going to try a direct link and see what happens..

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to sandman_1

said by sandman_1:

said by Dogg:

Maybe for a DSL connection that may happen but he or she has the same modem as I do and I suspect TW cable as his or her ISP. I can max out my upload and still get near max download on my 30Mbps tier.

DSL has nothing to do with it; it is a TCP issue. Saturate your upload and you get RST contention. Surfing becomes dog slow because the remote site will not receive its RST packets in time, and waits to send more. If you have CPE which prioritizes outbound RST packets, that will mitigate the problem. But cable is not immune.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

sandman_1

DSL has everything to do with it. I have had DSL and ran a FTP server for the longest and I know for fact how it acts. I have cable now, run a SSH server, and can max out my upload servicing a user and still nearly max out my download.

Newsuser

@eastlink.ca

sandman_1 I don't know who you have for a cable provider but I have had cable internet since 1998 and it started off at 10mbit. I have 20mbit now (no need for higher). I couldn't max out upload without my download going to hell then and it is still the same today. I ran servers years ago and when my upload started to max out it dropped a lot of connections before it recovered.

sandman_1

1 edit

I have Time Warner cable 30Mbps. All I can tell ya bud, is what happens when I do it now on cable vs DSL. I don't have a problem with either maxed out so I don't know what to tell ya.

said by DayWalker:

YEA EXACTLY....Sandman_1... All of what you said is correct same tier and everything...It used to work but I cant figure our what the problem is I am going to try a direct link and see what happens..

That's what I would do and try to eliminate as much as you can so you can pin point the issue.

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to DayWalker

Is he saying the router is stalling or the modem?

Expand your moderator at work

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to sandman_1

Re: Torrent Programs Stalls my connection

said by sandman_1:

DSL has everything to do with it. I have had DSL and ran a FTP server for the longest and I know for fact how it acts. I have cable now, run a SSH server, and can max out my upload servicing a user and still nearly max out my download.

Give me the technical details to describe your individual experience with DSL vs. DOCSIS.

And consider this:

»[Speed] Quick question: Download stalls when uploading?

The cable guys with Comcast don't seem to agree with you. Was going to look for something older, but lucked out.
--
Norman

sandman_1

From the look at it NormanS, that person doesn't have DOCSIS 3 and Channel Bonding, which is what I have and what the OP has. DOCSIS 2 suffers from that behavior because of the one channel. You saturate that channel and your bandwidth suffers either way down/up.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by sandman_1:

From the look at it NormanS, that person doesn't have DOCSIS 3 and Channel Bonding ...

You can tell without looking at the modem stats? Nice.

BTW, with my Siemens SpeedStream 4100 and D-Link DIR-655, torrent stall was mitigated somewhat because of QoS. A lot of ISP-issue CPE comes with QoS enabled by default. Maybe your CPE is doing that.
--
Norman

sandman_1

said by NormanS:

You can tell without looking at the modem stats? Nice.

Yes you can usually tell by that. DOCSIS 2 maxes out at around 25Mbps IIRC. Time Warner DOCSIS 3 tiers start at 30Mbps and up. That and when they give you a cable modem for something below that tier, it is a cheaper DOCSIS 2 one that doesn't support channel bonding. I would assume Comcast do no different in an attempt to minimize costs since DOCSIS 3 modems can cost nearly double what a DOCSIS 2 modem costs.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

I am pretty sure Comcast is all DOCSIS 3.0 in all markets now; at least on their end. It is just a matter of pushing the customers to upgrade their modems. So I wonder why the Comcast wonks didn't just tell the guy to upgrade his modem?

OTOH, ACK packet starvation appears to be related to the ratio of asymmetry; and my old AT&T 3/.5 ADSL connection has about the same ratio of asymmetry as a 30/5 DOCSIS 3.0 connection.
--
Norman

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to DayWalker

You guys are barking up the wrong tree with this DOCSIS stuff. It all boils down to the ACK packets being sent with the same priority as your upload. The more traffic you pull down, the more overhead you have. When you're maxing out your upload, you're reducing the amount of bandwidth (eliminating it, really) that the ACK packets have, thus causing your download speeds to take a serious hit.

Those of you who do not have this problem either have a symmetrical connection (probably not) or most likely their router or their PC has prioritized ACK packets with their QoS settings. Some of this may be turned on by default.

It has nothing to do with DOCSIS. DOCSIS may be managed at the Network layer, but it operates at the Physical and Data Link layer. Your issue is at the TCP/IP layer which is at the Transport/Network layers.

Those of you with problems can limit your upload speeds or prioritize ACK packets in your QoS settings in your router. It would probably be better to manage the QoS settings as just the change on the prioritization on packets will be enough to give you full speed.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK