how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zero8270

join:2012-06-26

4 edits

2 phone lines 2 modems high ping/latency Might of resolved

This is a update from my other THREAD, ADVANCE TECH SUPPORT KNOW NOTHING.

My other thread is Advance Tech support know nothing.

»Centurylink help please.Advance tech support know nothing!

By the way i have a 1.5mb connection. Download speeds and Upload speeds do not affect Latency. I could have a 500kbps connection with a different provider and i would still be able to get great ping rates/latency/ms. Xbox only requires 256kbps, so if i were to play black ops 2, i shouldnt lag while playing in game, yes loading the map would be slow but playing the game would not and i would be lag free.

Before: Back in July i had an extra line installed and right off the spot i could tell my internet was different. Esspicaly my latency. My latency was showing anywhere from 150ms to 1100ms which is very weird for the sever pinging seattle. My seattle ping use to get 39ms-77ms. Both modems where showing high latency.

So i decided to call advance tech support and they were telling me everything is fine, latency dosnt matter, its only a 1.5mb connection, even a tech(MANY TECHS) came out here and told me everything was fine. But this tech was a "all in one tech" he also does sattalights. Its time for centurylink to stop hiring people that dont know what latency is, because its pathetic i had to find out these issues on my own.

About 2 weeks ago i went out to the NID and i unplugged a line and only kept 1 active (did it both ways) (it was still going through the wall as i did not plug the modem diretlcy into it yet) there was still a issue(HIGH LATENCY)

TODAY
Part 1:
I went outside to the NID and i decided to unplug both phone lines and plug in 1 line directly from NID to the MODEM. The results were great. My Traceroutes, pinging Google.com and doing a speedtest to seattle were great. Pinging Google.com was anywhere from 33ms to 66ms max. and my seattle ping was anywhere from 39ms to 77ms max. Now that leaves me to belive that that this is a wireing issue inside the house. I still recived a little bit of jitter though but let me expalin why in part 2.

Part 2 : As i left the modem into my old line i decided to plug in my other modem to the second line( I HAVE 2 MODEMS). I couldnt see any problems when they were both pluged into both modems STRAIGHT from the NID (WHEN BOTH PHONE LINES ARE PLUGGED INTO THE WALL I STILL HAVE A PROBLEM LET ALONE 1. When 1 LINE IS PLUGGED INTO THE WALL ITS WORKS BETTER than if there was 2 plugged into the wall BUT NOT AS GREAT WITH 1 line from NID TO MODEM). BUT Back to the point with BOTH MODEMS CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE NID, i did notice a problem when i was doing speedtest on both of them. With LINE A doing a speedtest first, my latency was great but while i was downloading(Finding out my download speed) i did a other speedtest on LINE B, i saw that LINE B, latency increase(50 ms to 150ms) while the download speed decreased(1.4mb download to .700mb download. Then i did it the other way around and i got the same results, which leaves me to belive that they are connected at the NID but also probably a wireing issue in the house. Also i do notice that my newer line has a .40mb to .50mbupload speed while my older line has a .20mb to .33mb speed. So this makes me belive that this is a issue and that the lines are not seperate at the NID.

Part 3: While my pings were great and my upload and downloadspeeds were reaching 2mb for the first time(Connected diretly from modem to NID) I decided to hook up my router and everything was fine. I went to go play Black ops 2 and i was getting 3-4 bars. Alot of 4 bars servers i was getting. 4 bars respresent games under 100. I was hooked up wirelessly. I was starting to lag i could tell when i was playing i was reciving a little JITTER. It could of been because i was hooked up wirelessly. It also seems like when the Microwave was on, it was interferring with my wireless router or my wireless device on my xbox. LOL. It could of been my 3g phone but i turned that off.(Also my router was far pretty far away from me sense it was hooked up all the way outside, Which i think thats the reason while i got a little jitter, and it wasnt BRIDGED, tomorrow i will bridge it and hook it up directly to the NID and get closer and see if that fixes the issue) But the thing is that it never went down to 1 bar but sometiems it did go down to 2 bars but only for second, i just noticed a little a Jitter. (2bars respresent pings over 150). But dont get me wrong, i still stand by my PART 1 and PART 2, because i noticed a SIGNIFICANT DROP IN LATENCY AND INCREASE IN DOWNLOAD SPEEDS AND UPLOAD SPEEDS. Im just saying in CONCLUSION that there was a little JITTER but not as bad as it use to be. Lets say 15 ms Jitter not a 300 ms jitter.

i am going to note, that the router could of been a playing factor into my latency troubles not a main factor because when its wall to modem to router there is alot of lag when its NID TO MODEM TO ROUTER there was barely any lag except for little spikes because of 3g phones, microwave, and because how far away. Also to note that WALL TO MODEM ISNT AS LAGGY AS WALL TO MODEM TO BRIDGED ROUTER but it still has high latency. Compared to DIRECTLY TO NID OR TO THE WALL THE NID WORKS BETTER FOR EVERYTHING. So thats why i cant really count the router as a SEVERE contributing factor but a MINIOR FACTOR to my latency problems.

(NID IS PLUGGED BACK INTO THE WALL and NOT DIRECTLY TO THE MODEM), its WALL TO MODEM TO ROUTER) ping is on the higher side right now and tomorrow i will make sure it wasnt a fluke. I hope that everything i did today wasnt a qauicidence because im feeling like it was because when i put back 1 line in the wall it was doing great again for about 30 minutes. When i put the 2 line it went bad again and when i unplugged it , and now its good again but that only last for about 30 minutes. So i dont know what to belive.

Ok so now im doing a differnt test but without the router. Im pretty sure it wont make a differnce though, right now i have my newer line unplugged from the NID, As i did explain i have tested this method 2 weeks ago(AND VICE VERSA) BUT the differnce is that RIGHT now its WALL TO MODEM TO COMPUTER instead of WALL TO MODEM TO ROUTER TO COMPUTER. Now if this method works then i can say that at the NID the lines are effecting each other and it was also my router contributing to my problems. As i have already tested this method with the router i can say it didnt work but i need to X out EVERY possibility and 110 percent make sure ITS NOT MY ROUTER CONTRIBUTING.. Im pretty sure it wont make a differnce but i need to make sure JUST in case.

UPDATE: WALL TO MODEM TO COMPUTER (NO ROUTER INVOLVED) It did make a slight differnce and there is a decrease in my latency and it was a litte more soild but STILL in the high latency areas for 300ms pinging to google.com(should be at 33msto66ms) or speedtesting to seattle was 200ms(Should be at 39ms to 77ms) It seemed without my router my latency decreased a little bit more but that can be because of my unstable wire connection. Mabye my router dosnt know how to handle the bad wireing or my un-stable connection in my latency so it makes it slightly worse. But its deffantly not a reason why my internet had been acting up sense july. Right now im reciving high ping rates. So as of right now I am 80 percent its a combo of Wireing issue and somthing on the NID or on there end(Look at PART 1 and PART 2 of my problems) I am conncted to the WALL and i am conncted directly to THE NID AS OF RIGHT NOW. I am recving 300 pings to google.com and 200 pings to seattle. My method was working at first but 15 minutes later it went bad. So im very glad it didnt work because ive outted everything i could. I wish i could go outside and plug my modem directly into the NID but its night time and very cold.

Tomorrow i will put back the modem directly to the NID and then connect the router and see if the results are the same, because even with router connected with modem that was dirtecly from the NID it worked great , But if everything was a qauiadence or a fluke after 1000's of test, and nothing is fixed and if i receive higher latency issues, then it has to be the street drop off box. Because 6 months ago i saw the guy ripping out wires and it looked like he might of been confused with what he was doing. It took him about 2 hours, with whatever he was doing with the street box. But as of right now its plugged back into the wall instead of dirtly from NID TO MODEM and its not doing so good as was from NID TO MODEM. It could be a quaaidence though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Decemeber 22, 2012 - 6:55 am

I am going through wall right now and not straight from the NID. Its Wall > Modem > Router

Ok i am running wirelessy right now and im pinging to google.com and its doing great right now. Even my router is plugged in so i belive that my ROUTER is no cause of any problems.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2388428473.png
Speed test to seattle showing 50ms with 1.9mb spped

Another speedtest
»www.speedtest.net/result/2388436172.png
Speed to seattle showing 48ms with 1.9mb speed

Im just showing you guys that there is barely any JITTER.

Tracing route to google.com [173.194.33.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 4 ms 2 ms 1 ms dlinkrouter [192.168.0.1]
2 2 ms 2 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.1
3 27 ms 27 ms 26 ms 72-160-81-1.dyn.centurytel.net [72.160.81.1]
4 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms aurrorcoro2.aurrorcoro1.centurytel.net [209.206.
179.130]
5 66 ms 34 ms 31 ms bb-sttlwawb-jx4-01-ge-3-0-3-1420.core.centurytel
.net [208.110.249.218]
6 63 ms 31 ms 32 ms 206.51.71.70
7 35 ms 31 ms 31 ms 209.85.249.32
8 34 ms 32 ms 33 ms 209.85.253.24
9 31 ms 36 ms 31 ms sea09s01-in-f8.1e100.net [173.194.33.8]

Trace complete.

Pinging google.com [173.194.33.7] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 173.194.33.7: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 173.194.33.7:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 31ms

It runs so good in the morning but in about 2 hours its bad for the rest of day. Is it because there is no static going through the wall and my line is refreshed or somthing?, is it becasue the DSLAM is not being used and people are not overloading it right now? But the guys at centurylink told me that the DSLAM wasnt a problem because there is not to many people ahead of me. Once my ping rates go back up i will plug in directly from NID TO MODEM and see if that fixes the issue and if my latency does not go down then its not a problem from my side.
---------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: December 22nd 2012 3:47

NID TO MODEM TO COMPUTER

It turns out it didnt make a differnce here are my results.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2389250598.png showng 309 ms

Another speedtest showing 237ms with only 800kbs speed it was down to 300kbs download speedtest my last test but i didnt document it

»www.speedtest.net/result/2389253728.png

Tracing route to google.com [173.194.33.35]

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.1
2 490 ms 444 ms 440 ms 72-160-80-1.dyn.centurytel.net [72.160.80.1]
3 462 ms 381 ms 360 ms aurrorcoro2.aurrorcoro1.centurytel.net [209.206.
179.130]
4 362 ms 389 ms 381 ms bb-sttlwawb-jx4-01-ge-3-0-3-1420.core.centurytel
.net [208.110.249.218]
5 360 ms 311 ms 266 ms 206.51.71.70
6 480 ms 467 ms 364 ms 209.85.249.34
7 359 ms 462 ms 500 ms 209.85.253.26
8 516 ms 479 ms 498 ms sea09s02-in-f3.1e100.net [173.194.33.35]

Trace complete.

Pinging google.com [173.194.33.35] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 173.194.33.35: bytes=32 time=231ms TTL=56
Reply from 173.194.33.35: bytes=32 time=296ms TTL=56
Reply from 173.194.33.35: bytes=32 time=289ms TTL=56
Reply from 173.194.33.35: bytes=32 time=439ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 173.194.33.35:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 231ms, Maximum = 439ms, Average = 313ms
------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: DECEMBER 23: 2012 7:35 am

This is kind of early in the moring here are my ping results

Pinging google.com [173.194.33.36] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 173.194.33.36: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=55

-----------------------------------------------------------

December 23rd, 10:09 am

Can everybody starting listing and posting reasons why latency could be jumping around all day?

1. It could be my modems sense they are both 660 series modems and it seems like everytime i restart it for 2 seconds my latency will be good for 2 seconds and jump right back up. So its a chance it could be overheating or somthing?

2. Overloaded DSLAM

3. NID BOX Gets overheated - I dont see how thats the reason

4. ?

5. ?

6. ?

----------------------------------------------
December 24th 3:18 am

Speedtest.net

49ms 1.9 mb connection - »www.speedtest.net/result/2391731493.png

51 ms 1.9 at 8:06 am
»www.speedtest.net/result/2392171933.png

51ms 1.9mb at 8:06

»www.speedtest.net/result/2392173150.png

So bottom line is, How do i get my internet to be like this all day? What do i call them up with and to MAKE them fix it.

Zero8270

1 edit

I guess it cant a wiring issue inside the house because at the NID its still showing bad results and high latency. Can anyone tell me why when i get up early in the morning i recive great results like earlier. I posed my results early in the morning in my original post.

If its not a DSLAM overload, then what can it be?

Here is pictures of my NID

One without Modem plugged directly into it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and one with my modem to NID and please note that the top line was unplugged and also that i did it vice-versa and also note (common sense) the top one is my old line.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also you can zoom in both of these pictures as there both top quality. (:
--------------------------------------
One last thing i do still believe there both affecting each other as part 2 describes. So bottom line please re-read part 2 because i am 200 percent sure they are affecting each other.

LFHC

join:2012-11-04
Collinsville, VA

If its great in the morning and bad results later in the day it honestly sounds like a overloaded DSLAM, however there could be many things the best advice would get a tech sent out

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11
reply to Zero8270

sounds like peak hour congestion to me also, if things are great during non peak hours then that would tell you its a congestion issue

Technicholas

join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·CenturyLink

Have the tech replace the box first, I have heard of the NID getting warm and causing issues. Should be free....

I used to have 2 DSL lines also and they leaked on to the other line sometimes causing the SNR's to go way down.

If you are fine at the box with just 1 line then it could be leaking on the lines dial tone or something else.......

Send us your SNR's......

Zero8270

4 edits
reply to Zero8270

Can anybody explain to me when both lines are plugged into the NID they are still interferring with each other? Does that mean i still need my drop from the street replaced? What does that mean? I think thats what could be causing these issues and these spikes in latency. Do you think it coud be wireing in the NID? You think it could wireing to the street box?

Centurylink tells me that this ping rate is good on the phone LMAO. It use to be at 75ms. Just imagne the rest of the united states they must be at 1000s ping rates

To note: Even thouhh San frannsico is over 600 miles away when the internet is good it ranges from anywhere to 75ms to 100ms.

I still say that the second line is still effecting me because even when both modems are plugged into the NID it still acts like there affecting each other.

The next step is to just call advance tech up and tell them that my lines are affecting each other and i will not even mention latency because i feel like if they get that fixed my whole issue has a great chance of being fixed. but i dont know it does work great in the morning.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA
reply to Zero8270

So it seems your internet connection is fine in the middle of the night and is terrible in the day time, when most other people are using theirs?
Join the CL monopoly club.

Answer: Oversold DSLAM.

How to get it fixed: write to the FCC , FTC and your state AG, complain about them selling you product and not delivering.

What will happen: nothing.

I have 2 DSL lines, work perfectly most of the time, the DSLAM is oversold, so I can't get the advertised speeds.

The CL support do know that it is oversold, they use the term 'congested network'. The CL field technicians use the term 'oversold' though.

Zero8270

4 edits
reply to Zero8270

Click for full size
Click for full size
1st Chart = Taken at 9:00 pm Last night
2nd Chart = Taken 1:50 pm today

Those are my wireshark results im not sure if that tells me anything about latency.... It looks like it only tells me about my download speeds and upload speeds is there anything i could do with wireshark to tell me about latency issues...

STRIKE 1 : After comparing my graph to a wireshark graph it looks like its telling me its a "FAULTY" DSLAM PORT CARD. Okay so lets say it is, is it possible that my two lines are oging into the same PORT CARD and thats why its causing these issues?

But that picture can almost tell me its a router exhaustion but its hard to say because i have a 1.5mb connection and it seems that my connecion is very "sensitive"

Also to a wireshark "expert" what does that graph tell you?

Look ive known ive said this a million times over but before i got this extra line added everything was great latency wise no spikes barely any jitter but ever sense i got the extra line the day i got it, it turn bad. Its not a Congtsted Network or Oversold problem because i live in a area where there is barely any people. And the people that are here, are people that probably dont youtube or anything. Now that does not explain why my Internet is great in the morning SOMETIMES it was not good at 7:00 am this morning, mabye because it was christmas, but then again i live in a area where the population is 500 people with aprobably 20 people around me. So i really doubt it s because of that reason. And i can accuatly see the DSLAM from my house.

: Also explain to me why my latency is great for like 3-5 minutes after i restart my modem.
--------------------------------------------------------
Im just not so sure about that. My download speeds and upload seeds are sometimes there just not my latency. Im not in a populated area and the DSLAM is not far.
---------------------------------------------------------
DSL LINE STATISTICS

noise margin upstream: 25 db
output power downstream: 10 db
attenuation upstream: 9 db

noise margin downstream: 31 db
output power upstream: 12 db
attenuation downstream: 17 db

System Monitor

System up Time: 19:41:31
Current Date/Time:
CPU Usage: 7.43%
Memory Usage: 59%

WAN Port Statistics

Link Status: Up
Upstream Speed: 576 kbps
Downstream Speed: 1760 kbps
----------------------------

I persoanly dont see how it can be a oversold DSLAM becausse my most of my neighbors are between 60s-70s only a few in there 50's and 40's. And i dont really have alot of neighbors around me. So i just don think so.

I heard somthing about "exhausted" aggregation router." Could that be somthing that might be doing it?

SOURCE: »Increasing ping

This guy seems to be having the same problem as me. He says "Upon rebooting my modem my connection is fine for a few minutes. After this my ping slowly raises and seems to level off around 1000ms"

then guy replys and says "Even an exhausted aggregation router can show that symptom."

But minus the part where his modem is 300ms. So im really confused its almost the exact same issue because it does seem like everytime i restart the modem its goes from 33ms and slowy rises from 33ms to 66ms and then 2 minutes later 150ms and then 5 minutes later 400-500ms. Its really weird and i really need suggestions.

Do you think sometime might have to be replaced such as a "pair swapping, RT coil replacement, RT card replacement" which i dont even know what those are but i do remeber when the addional line was being installed he said somthing was rusty so he replaced it with a new one. Whatever it was mabye it was that?
----------------------------------------

I was told to do a reverse traceroute by irishshark so here it is.

traceroute to 72.160.94.148 (72.160.94.148), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 rtr-servcore1-serv01-webserv.slac.stanford.edu (134.79.197.130) 1.027 ms
2 rtr-core1-p2p-servcore1.slac.stanford.edu (134.79.252.166) 0.541 ms
3 rtr-border2-p2p-core1.slac.stanford.edu (134.79.252.141) 0.538 ms
4 slac-mr2-p2p-rtr-border2.slac.stanford.edu (192.68.191.249) 0.397 ms
5 sunncr5-ip-a-slacmr2.es.net (134.55.36.21) 1.243 ms
6 eqxsjrt1-te-sunncr1.es.net (134.55.38.146) 1.517 ms
7 198.129.44.34 (198.129.44.34) 1.809 ms
8 *
9 65.115.65.82 (65.115.65.82) 1.714 ms
10 bb-snjucacl-jx4-01-ae0.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.165) 1.779 ms
11 bb-sttlwawb-jx4-01-xe-1-1-0.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.170) 29.381 ms
12 bb-sttlwawb-jx4-02-ae0.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.142) 21.664 ms
13 bb-aurrorxa-jm1-02-ge-1-0-0-0.core.centurytel.net (208.110.249.233) 29.401 ms
14 ge-4-1-rb-bras.aur.centurytel.net (209.206.179.141) 107.708 ms
15 -----dyn.centurytel.net ---- 230.200 ms

What does this reverse tracert tell you?

-----------------------------------------------------------

I tried to use the ping plotter program but everytime i run it for about 30 seconds and i start getting 100 percent packet loss because it seems like my internet is senstive to the non stop traceroutes. So that could be a hint why i receive high latency/spikes in latency.
---------------------------------------------

It would be kind nice to get this issue fixed because i could really help alot of people on these forums when they read my thread.

Zero8270

4 edits
reply to Zero8270

Click for full size
Here is a picture when my ping is good on wireshark. Wow What a difference. I took this test 6:50 am in the morning. 48ms to seattle.

I have like 15-20 neighbors and im sure they all dont have internet. Mabye the reason is because one of my neighbors is being ddoses and its exhausting the router? Is that a possibility or no?

Someone around my in my area might be using alot of bandwidth and i am being effected by it dramtiaccly.

SCENERIO: Somebody has a virus on a computer and its downloading non-stop because mabye a when they shut there computer off maby thats why i get good ping rates in the moring. (NOt ON MY CONNECTIONS)

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4
reply to Zero8270

Here are my results which I just ran.

1 ve400b.ar1.dc1.hwng.net (69.16.185.2) 0.222 ms 0.328 ms 0.460 ms
2 ve914.r1.dc.hwng.net (209.197.1.37) 54.461 ms 54.696 ms 54.778 ms
3 3-1.r1.at.hwng.net (69.16.191.126) 18.770 ms 15.110 ms 18.841 ms
4 centurytel.tieatl.telxgroup.net (198.32.132.77) 24.664 ms 24.699 ms 24.636 ms
5 bb-nlrkargp-jx9-01-ae4-0.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.196) 37.351 ms 37.338 ms 37.325 ms
6 bb-kscbmonr-jx9-02-xe-11-1-0.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.18) 43.647 ms 44.042 ms 44.152 ms
7 bb-dnvtc056-jx4-02-ae2.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.201) 56.165 ms 56.152 ms 56.136 ms
8 bb-dnvtc056-jx4-01-ae0.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.133) 56.373 ms 56.356 ms 56.343 ms
9 bb-sttlwawb-jx4-02-ae2.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.205) 87.531 ms 87.519 ms 87.503 ms
10 bb-aurrorxa-jm1-02-ge-1-0-0-0.core.centurytel.net (208.110.249.233) 91.781 ms 93.516 ms 91.752 ms
11 ge-4-1-rb-bras.aur.centurytel.net (209.206.179.141) 92.486 ms 94.171 ms 94.141 ms
12 72-160-94-148.dyn.centurytel.net (72.160.94.148) 128.862 ms 125.920 ms 128.050 ms

There is definitely something going on at hop 12. What is it? Don't have the foggiest, but I would like to have a CL engineer tell me what's going on.

Router: BBR1.ASH1 (Ashburn, VA)

ping 72.160.94.148 source 216.151.179.161 timeout 1 repeat 10

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 10, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 72.160.94.148, timeout is 1 seconds:
Packet sent with a source address of 216.151.179.161
!!!!!!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (10/10), round-trip min/avg/max = 116/151/176 ms

Highwinds Network Group - Looking Glass ResultsRouter: R1.CH (Chicago IL)

traceroute 72.160.94.148 source-ip 69.16.191.2 numeric timeout 1

Type Control-c to abort
Tracing the route to IP node (72.160.94.148) from 1 to 30 hops

1 31 ms 24 ms 25 ms 209.197.0.34 (e1-4.r1.ny.hwng.net) [AS12989 / HWNG]
2 24 ms 24 ms 25 ms 198.32.160.19 [AS10310 / YAHOO-1]
3 28 ms 22 ms 23 ms 208.110.248.114 (bb-nycmny83-jx9-02-ae0-0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
4 33 ms 32 ms 81 ms 208.110.248.69 (bb-chcgilwu-jx9-02-ae4-0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
5 67 ms 42 ms 31 ms 204.9.121.189 (bb-mrghmoqa-jx9-02-ae7-0.core.centurylink.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
6 44 ms 31 ms 43 ms 206.51.69.1 (bb-mrghmoqa-jx9-01-ae0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
7 78 ms 76 ms 74 ms 206.51.69.14 (bb-kscbmonr-jx9-01-xe-1-1-0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
8 76 ms 99 ms 74 ms 206.51.69.6 (bb-kscbmonr-jx9-02-ae0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
9 87 ms 88 ms 98 ms 206.51.69.201 (bb-dnvtc056-jx4-02-ae2.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
10 99 ms 87 ms 87 ms 206.51.69.133 (bb-dnvtc056-jx4-01-ae0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
11 125 ms 129 ms 124 ms 206.51.69.205 (bb-sttlwawb-jx4-02-ae2.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
12 132 ms 124 ms 125 ms 208.110.249.233 (bb-aurrorxa-jm1-02-ge-1-0-0-0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
13 123 ms 162 ms 155 ms 209.206.179.141 (ge-4-1-rb-bras.aur.centurytel.net) [AS5668 / AS-5668]
14 421 ms 299 ms 207 ms 72.160.94.148 (72-160-94-148.dyn.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]

"Bandwidth Exhaust? It does not look that way to me.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Zero8270

Here are my results which I just ran.

1 ve400b.ar1.dc1.hwng.net (69.16.185.2) 0.222 ms 0.328 ms 0.460 ms
2 ve914.r1.dc.hwng.net (209.197.1.37) 54.461 ms 54.696 ms 54.778 ms
3 3-1.r1.at.hwng.net (69.16.191.126) 18.770 ms 15.110 ms 18.841 ms
4 centurytel.tieatl.telxgroup.net (198.32.132.77) 24.664 ms 24.699 ms 24.636 ms
5 bb-nlrkargp-jx9-01-ae4-0.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.196) 37.351 ms 37.338 ms 37.325 ms
6 bb-kscbmonr-jx9-02-xe-11-1-0.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.18) 43.647 ms 44.042 ms 44.152 ms
7 bb-dnvtc056-jx4-02-ae2.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.201) 56.165 ms 56.152 ms 56.136 ms
8 bb-dnvtc056-jx4-01-ae0.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.133) 56.373 ms 56.356 ms 56.343 ms
9 bb-sttlwawb-jx4-02-ae2.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.205) 87.531 ms 87.519 ms 87.503 ms
10 bb-aurrorxa-jm1-02-ge-1-0-0-0.core.centurytel.net (208.110.249.233) 91.781 ms 93.516 ms 91.752 ms
11 ge-4-1-rb-bras.aur.centurytel.net (209.206.179.141) 92.486 ms 94.171 ms 94.141 ms
12 72-160-94-148.dyn.centurytel.net (72.160.94.148) 128.862 ms 125.920 ms 128.050 ms

There is definitely something going on at hop 12. What is it? Don't have the foggiest, but I would like to have a CL engineer tell me what's going on.

Router: BBR1.ASH1 (Ashburn, VA)

ping 72.160.94.148 source 216.151.179.161 timeout 1 repeat 10

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 10, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 72.160.94.148, timeout is 1 seconds:
Packet sent with a source address of 216.151.179.161
!!!!!!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (10/10), round-trip min/avg/max = 116/151/176 ms

Highwinds Network Group - Looking Glass ResultsRouter: R1.CH (Chicago IL)

traceroute 72.160.94.148 source-ip 69.16.191.2 numeric timeout 1

Type Control-c to abort
Tracing the route to IP node (72.160.94.148) from 1 to 30 hops

1 31 ms 24 ms 25 ms 209.197.0.34 (e1-4.r1.ny.hwng.net) [AS12989 / HWNG]
2 24 ms 24 ms 25 ms 198.32.160.19 [AS10310 / YAHOO-1]
3 28 ms 22 ms 23 ms 208.110.248.114 (bb-nycmny83-jx9-02-ae0-0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
4 33 ms 32 ms 81 ms 208.110.248.69 (bb-chcgilwu-jx9-02-ae4-0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
5 67 ms 42 ms 31 ms 204.9.121.189 (bb-mrghmoqa-jx9-02-ae7-0.core.centurylink.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
6 44 ms 31 ms 43 ms 206.51.69.1 (bb-mrghmoqa-jx9-01-ae0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
7 78 ms 76 ms 74 ms 206.51.69.14 (bb-kscbmonr-jx9-01-xe-1-1-0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
8 76 ms 99 ms 74 ms 206.51.69.6 (bb-kscbmonr-jx9-02-ae0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
9 87 ms 88 ms 98 ms 206.51.69.201 (bb-dnvtc056-jx4-02-ae2.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
10 99 ms 87 ms 87 ms 206.51.69.133 (bb-dnvtc056-jx4-01-ae0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
11 125 ms 129 ms 124 ms 206.51.69.205 (bb-sttlwawb-jx4-02-ae2.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
12 132 ms 124 ms 125 ms 208.110.249.233 (bb-aurrorxa-jm1-02-ge-1-0-0-0.core.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]
13 123 ms 162 ms 155 ms 209.206.179.141 (ge-4-1-rb-bras.aur.centurytel.net) [AS5668 / AS-5668]
14 421 ms 299 ms 207 ms 72.160.94.148 (72-160-94-148.dyn.centurytel.net) [AS22561 / DIGITAL-TELEPORT]

"Bandwidth Exhaust? It does not look that way to me.
--

Zero8270

4 edits
reply to Zero8270

Yeah when you were doing those test it was giving me good results but now when i hop my game in to go play it wasnt so good. I ran a speedtest and i was getting high latency again just like those Charts. (im not trying to make this a game issue, Just an example) Now that i have turned off my xbox off its still the same giving me anywhere from 202ms - 400ms its like my connection is very senstive and i cant do anything on it.

I wish there was a way to see Xbox 360 charts because they would look exactly like that but when its 6:50 am in the morning it would be running good and being at a consitant 1.5mb instead of it going down to 200kbps

Typically online games do not require much bandwidth - a 256 kbps speed is good enough. An xbox shouldnt be making my internet out of control like that.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Is it possible my Two lines are on the same Circuit connected to only as 1 port to a Router and that might be a possiblity why the DSLAM router and it gets easily Exhausted?
------------------------------------
But mabye there on different routers and thats why i receive such better results on my seconds line which gives me a garuenteed of .40 to .50 upload while my old line gives me .20 to .30 upload so does that mean there on different routers? So then its NOT a exhausted router problem if thats true. Man i am just so confused right now.........

What else can the issue be?

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Jordon, I think we have enough pings/tracerts/etc. I don't think we need anymore.

Going back and reading everything over and over again, I think that we might have a plausible answer to your issues.

Back on the first thread early on:

said by billaustin:

Try connecting both modems to the test jacks at the NID (at the same time, short line cords, separate as much as possible) and see if the problem is still there. If so, you may need your drop from the street replaced. If not, your wiring is the issue and the two DSL lines are interfering with each other. I would suggest filters at the NID with a home run for each modem.

You said it was too cold outside and you will get to it when it warms up.

said by Zero8270:

BUT Back to the point with BOTH MODEMS CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE NID, i did notice a problem when i was doing speedtest on both of them. With LINE A doing a speedtest first, my latency was great but while i was downloading(Finding out my download speed) i did a other speedtest on LINE B, i saw that LINE B, latency increase(50 ms to 150ms) while the download speed decreased(1.4mb download to .700mb download. Then i did it the other way around and i got the same results, which leaves me to belive that they are connected at the NID but also probably a wireing issue in the house. Also i do notice that my newer line has a .40mb to .50mbupload speed while my older line has a .20mb to .33mb speed. So this makes me belive that this is a issue and that the lines are not seperate at the NID.

There is your answer.
--

Zero8270

4 edits
reply to Zero8270

Tech came out here today,and he did see a problem, he replaced the NID, he checked the "green phone box" and he didnt see anything problems there, and then he saw a problem with my wireing inside the house on the new line and it was a splitted or somthing and then he cut off all that, And also at the NID he got rid of all the phofgne lines just to make sure nothing was leaking, as i told him i dont use the phone, he then replaces me with 2 new modems. He then still did some speedtest and its still jumping up and down up and down, then he was telling me a few years ago sombody had driven into a tree and knocked down a DSL wire and that could be partialy it, and then he explained to me that it ussaly the internet gets better in the cold and i said yeah it does because 6:30 in the morning it works great and he sayd somthing about the wires expanding at the box or somthing and it needs to be glued on or somthing, and then he told me somthing about these yellow wires so he wants to replace those yellolw wires that are no longer good and that they shoudlnt be using them and he said that the techs that came out here only use them because there lazy. He gave me knew Green phone lines because he said that he found out that the typical phone lines are not as good as a "modern phone line" He gave me a new filter. He said he didnt see anything wrong with the wiring at the NID. So he said he would be out tomorrow. But i tried telling him about an aggregation exhausted router or somthing on there side but im not sure what hes thinking. 110 percent not a problem on my side. The new nid is a little small now which kind of sucks

Now i did explain to him that my lines are effecting each other but it seems like he didnt belive me and probably rightfuly so i couldnt prove it because because i was recving high latency but i have come to the conclusion on why its acting up this way and its probably not a connection to the NID or anything like that.

So as he left i FINALLY FOUND A GAME TO PLAY IN so for one last time i decided to play a game on line a and speed test on line b and on line b was effecting line/ lagging line a when i was playing the game. So but now i just put 2 and 2 together when im lagging while playing my game, what i am really reciving is my neghibors watching youtube or wahtever, and thats why its good in the morning. So tomorrow morning i am i am going to explain to him about this issue. i tried talking to him about a exhausted router but it seem like he didnt know what i was talking about but i dont even know what im talking about. So im going to tlel him i need to be switched on to a different "Agreegation router" Because thats the issue i am on sombodys router that LOVES to download or watch youtube non stop or mabye hes streaming netflix non stop. So tomorrow is the final chance to get this fixed and we will see. He did say they would probaly have fiber here in a few years but by then i will be out of here ):. So well see how it goes!!!!

Im am happy taht i know its not a issue on my part (: Ive done everything i could!!!

So what do i say to the guy tomorrow, Switch me to a difffernt port or a differnt router i dont really know the technical term please help me!!!
----------------------------------

Here is what a guy said on »[Speed Problem] Bandwidth oversold

"Oversold bandwidth" is a myth. Well, sort of. All bandwidth is "oversold". All ISPs "oversell" bandwidth.

Sometimes there is an issue known as an "exhausted router". Can't be fixed by "Rip-and-rebuild", or by changing the DSLAM port. The only fix is to change which aggregation router you run to. Such could affect any speed plan. I ran into this on Express, where I was only getting roughly 800 kb/s down in "prime time", despited synching at 1536/384. They changed me from a router in the Santa Clara, California POP center ('sntcca') to a router in the Pleasanton, California POP center ('pltnca'). I posted to SBC Direct (as it was known at the time; now you would post to AT&T Direct)."

Another one

»Slow DSL speeds, need help with deciphering wireshark graphs

If you can consistently see #4 like graphs in the evening slowdowns, then you should post a trouble thread in AT&T Direct: »AT&T Direct explaining the evening slowdowns. Only Direct can fix this type of problem by having your circuit switched to a less congested gateway router.

Another one
»[Speed Problem] 6M/768K DSL only get 1M download speed during ni

This link explains how to test for an exhausted router by using a packet capture program ("packet sniffer"). If your graph matches the pattern for exhausted router, your only hope is that there is a less congested aggregation router available at your POP center; and your only recourse would be to request a change through the AT&T Direct forum (but be sure you can prove congestion).

Probably. Your chart shows short periods of time when the packet speeds jump up and down around rapidly typical of most exhausted router performances, but there are other periods when they are "stable" at a sub-normal speed. It is a guess that charts with more "stable" slowed down speeds may indicate a more thoroughly exhausted router condition.

His chart looks like mine....
-------------------------
»[Qwest] Centurylink upgrades speeds, but service is horrible now

It sounds like a standard ADSL plant, with an ATM backhaul. And an "exhausted" aggregation router.

First time I had heard a DSLAM referred to as a "node". As I said, I've always encountered the term in a cable context. And the "aggregation router" I mentioned is the first IP hop when an ATM circuit is used for the backhaul. When I was with AT&T I encountered router exhaustion, and SBC (as the company was called when this happened) moved me to another aggregation router.

K Your first two graphs look like what we have come to interpret as congestion in the AT&T gateway (either redback or BRAS) which would be the first ping hop off your network. The key to identifying this congestion are those nearly vertical plotted packets that look sort of like drops dripping straight down. I've speculated that they are showing some sort of buffering of the ATM cells before the gateway puts it out to the TCP/IP side. Anyhow, these sort of graphs are associated with throughput slowdowns, often in the evenings, at the gateways for AT&T customers. Sometimes they have higher than normal gateway pings with the slowdowns.

I have no idea what CenturyLink uses for gateways and if an AT&T type explanation would fit those graphs.

CONCLUSION: I need to get to a different Sever, I hope its possible.

So my question is, whats another term for exhausted aggregation router so this tech will understand. Because this tech seems to think there is a problem and i have ifgured it out because right i hopped in my xbhox at 1:30 in the morning and im playing on my xbox with 75ms and under. And at night time when its working great every server im conencting to is either 100ms below or 75ms or below, when it was working great 6 months ago it didnt even work as good as this where server i go to i get 4 bars so im guessing what he did outside and inside the house, and new phone line wires (GREEN), and him shutting off the phone lines, and the new NID, helped but once i get on a to a better router, its going to work better than it ever has.

So yeah that lag that i am experncing is from other people youtubing and streaming around me, because on my line when i watch youtube and im playing on my other line it just makes me lag a little bit more so im wondering how many people are going through the same server as me for me to acctualy effect the lag i cause myself, see i always thought there was a problem with the 2 lines being connected at the NID but i guess it was all a quaidence and it was just router exhaustion, and by the way if my internet can go through a differnt server it will run better than it ever could and he and gave me everything new, and hes replacing wires tomorrow, so its going to be running GREAT when my Internet is going through a differnt server. So now that i know what the exact issue is , i might not able to get on a different server right away but im pretty sure if i call up every day and complain evenutally it will happen, at least i know its nothing on my end which mes make ALOT more happier (:!!!!!!

On another note it could be what the tech said, which ive always belive when it gets colder outside the internet gets better because the wires are contracting or expanding and hitting the "BLANK" better (forgot what he said) So i could see that being the issue right now because its 17°F tonight. We will see its one of those 2 issues.

Note: Pinging Google.com is not a effective way to get an idea of ping because as i have learned even though my ping is doing great i am jumping up and down drammitcaly like from 50ms to 140 and theres probably alot of people pinging it and using GOOGLE.com of course and so if your going to ping a website find a website thats not populated.

2:07 in the morning

Tracing route to google.com [173.194.33.33]

1 5 ms 3 ms 2 ms PK5001Z.PK5001Z [192.168.0.1]
2 85 ms 36 ms 40 ms 72-160-95-1.dyn.centurytel.net [72.160.95.1]
3 135 ms 30 ms 35 ms aurrorcoro2.aurrorcoro1.centurytel.net [209.206.
179.130]
4 120 ms 76 ms 80 ms bb-sttlwawb-jx4-01-ge-3-0-3-1420.core.centurytel
.net [208.110.249.218]
5 75 ms 79 ms 49 ms 206.51.71.70
6 90 ms 48 ms 49 ms 209.85.249.34
7 45 ms 79 ms 118 ms 209.85.253.26
8 46 ms 119 ms 107 ms sea09s02-in-f1.1e100.net [173.194.33.33]

Trace complete.
---------------------------------

So iif the server is really exhausted why is it so senstive? If i just put a speedtest on line b i start to lag on line a(worse in certian parts of the day). Its so weird.
---------------------------------------------

Zero8270

reply to Zero8270

Click for full size
Its either redback or BRAS but these pictures are all bras.

For a exhaused router issue

Question on the frst chart: Why does it go to BRAS> ROUTER,

Is Bras the server that im connecting to you and bras goes through internet router and thats what im going through and thats where i need the change? or is it the bras period, where i need the change?

Im confused please help.

Zero8270

2 edits
reply to Zero8270

ISSUE RESOLVED

UPDATE: Ok the same tech went out to the DSLAM and rebooted the dslam my latency and speeds were fine. He says that there is not enough bandwidth and that there going to be adding a new server with a new line pretty soon(Thanks to me). So it turns out there was a bandwidth problem with turns out it matched my WIRESHARK CHARTS.

After numerous techs coming out here and saying everything is fine i acctauly got a tech with brains. He replaced everything and i know when im on a new server everything will be 110 percent better, probably with pings of 75ms or lower like every sever i joind last night, so he deffantly did do somthing good with replacing everything in my house and at the nid becauses its better than ever before when its working good.

So for now, i will be playing late at night to get some gaming in until its fixed (:

-----------------------------------------------
So if you have a problem just do the test i did to X out every possibility.

1. Go straight to your NID and see if your problem is still there and if it is, call them up.

2. Run wireshark and see what the problem might be
»SBC DSL FAQ »How to measure throughput speeds on individual packets?

3. Do traceroutes to a website (like Google.com) go to start>run> type in CMD > type tracert google.com and then type in Ping google.com after doing your tracert. And if its high latency then there is a issue. Also go to speedtest.net and see what your speeds are.

4. Do test late at night or very earling in the morning typically 3:00am-6:00 am in the morning and see if there problem is still there.

5. Call up your Provider and present your evidence.

6. Keep calling up until you get a tech that has "brains" about Internet that comes out to your house

7. Get a tech that will X out every possiblity without you even asking him to, Include checking street box for issues, New NID, Check wall wireing(one of lines where splited with yellow wires and i guess it didnt make sense), New modems, and a new DSL FILTER, and New Green modern phone line that connects from Wall to Modem. And even yellow wires wiring because i guess thats not good or somthing. "somthing to do with lazyness" But it probably dosnt matter with the yellow wires.

Note: You might get a tech that comes out and says everything is fine, but if you know its not,then keep calling them up.

Thanks everybody for there help.

ISSUE RESOLVED

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

Resolved? Figured out, but not resolved.

Your issues is the same issue as most of us have, oversold DSLAMs.

They told me too that they're installing fibre, then I called them again, and they said something like "don't know who told you that, but we're not doing anything and there are no plans to do anything apart from keep taking your money for bad service"

Zero8270

reply to Zero8270

The tech even told me he contacted someone at centurylink and there adding a extra line from (IDK what location) but he says it will be done.

2 hours later after he rebooted the DSLAM its still working great, but its probably just a temporary fix but im not sure, but i can say thats its a for-sure thing that there is extra line coming and that will deffantly fix all the issues.

Last night he mentioned to me that fiber might never come here, but hes been bugging centurylink alot to "get it done" Im not sure about fiber, but an extra line will be coming.