uniqs

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to therave

Premium Member

to therave

Re: When will Comcast HD box record more than 2 shows at 1 time?

When will there but multiple tuner more than 2 for anyroom DVR?

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by Warzau:

The current crop of TiVos are able to record 4 HD channels simulatneously on Comcast. Whenever I have asked the AT&T U-Verse person,who just rang my doorbell, how many simultaneous HD channels I can record on U-Verse, I get a blank stare.

With AT&T's U-verse, my neighbors tell me that the U-Verse infrastructure is problematic in its delivery of two HD channels at the same time.

It appears you confuse the inability to deliver multiple HD channels (i.e., AT&T's U-Verse) with the ability to record the flood of HD channels that Comcast seems to be able to deliver concurrently and simultaneously to the home.

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

No I am not confused, perhaps posed the question incorrectly. I have Comcast anyroom DVR. One hub and two satellite boxes, the hub can only record 2 show at once, as well as not being able to view other channels while recording two shows. I want to know when multiple tuners greater than 2 will be available to record two shows or 3 or etc.
mhornet
join:2003-01-22
Oak Forest, IL

mhornet to Warzau

to Warzau
said by Warzau:

When will anyroom be able to set recordings from the slave units?

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to Warzau

Premium Member

to Warzau
said by Warzau:

No I am not confused, perhaps posed the question incorrectly. ...

My apologies for my misinterpretation of your comment.

You appear to be running full speed into intentional deficiencies imposed by the bright sparks in Comcast's marketing department.

Sadly, I can offer no solution for the malice they show towards Comcast's customers.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to mhornet

to mhornet
when you get anyroom from a NON comcarp system or do your own with a cable card box.

Dish , Direct , wow , U-Verse, rcn all offer that as well as more tuners.

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau to mhornet

Premium Member

to mhornet
said by mhornet:

said by Warzau:

When will anyroom be able to set recordings from the slave units?

Really, I'd like that. I get around that by using the app on a iDevice and start recording a program and then on the satellite units I start playing the current recording, a pseudo DVR if you will I let it run for about 10 min then I can skip, pause,rew as if the satellite was a true DVR.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

And a side questions: Given the amount of memory many boxes have, why can't non-DVR's use that as a sort of DVR-style buffer? Even if it's only enough for 5-10 minutes, it can be usable and require nothing more than some programming.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

then every box you have would be a DVR and would circumvent ads being run by stations....wanna change the fee associated with every box in your house?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

It's not a full DVR. You can't record, only buffer. You can rewind back, but you really can't "skip" a commercial without seeing it first anyways unless you physically leave the room.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to gar187er

to gar187er
they need a system to compete with the hopper and genie.
RalphKramden
join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

RalphKramden to andyross

to andyross
said by andyross:

And a side questions: Given the amount of memory many boxes have, why can't non-DVR's use that as a sort of DVR-style buffer? Even if it's only enough for 5-10 minutes, it can be usable and require nothing more than some programming.

They don't offer that because their business model says "you want to pause, rewind, etc. you need a DVR." They probably don't think your suggestion will increase revenue so it's a non-starter.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to andyross

MVM

to andyross
Actually, in his LRC article about the IP-only XI3 box for the X1 platform (»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable), Jeff Baumgartner speculated about one possible use for its SD card slot:
And what's with that SD Card slot? The XI3 doesn't have an internal hard drive, so the slot could be used for memory expansion. But it's also plausible that Comcast could use an SD Card as a local, mini-DVR that could buffer a small amount of live TV programming for trick-play functions (pause, fast-forward, rewind, etc.). Advanced Digital Broadcast (ADB) toyed with the notion of using an SD Card as a "lite" DVR for a tru2way "set-back" box it showed off in 2010. (See Tru2way 'Phantom' Box Is a DVR Lightweight: »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable)
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

Actually, in his LRC article about the IP-only XI3 box for the X1 platform (»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable), Jeff Baumgartner speculated about one possible use for its SD card slot:

And what's with that SD Card slot? The XI3 doesn't have an internal hard drive, so the slot could be used for memory expansion. But it's also plausible that Comcast could use an SD Card as a local, mini-DVR that could buffer a small amount of live TV programming for trick-play functions (pause, fast-forward, rewind, etc.). Advanced Digital Broadcast (ADB) toyed with the notion of using an SD Card as a "lite" DVR for a tru2way "set-back" box it showed off in 2010. (See Tru2way 'Phantom' Box Is a DVR Lightweight: »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable)

Looks like that use is not just speculation, given this statement in a press release from Entropic (»www.globenewswire.com/ne ··· ice.html) on the use of their TSC188 chip in Humax's XI3 box:
The compact Humax device includes recording functionality. The DVR feature works in conjunction with the multi-tuner hybrid gateway server and the on-board SD Card lets the IP set-top-box stream and play back programming using the MoCA specification.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to gar187er

to gar187er
directv and some other systems does not change a per box drv fee like comcast.
Joe12345678

Joe12345678 to mikedz4

to mikedz4
the X1 has more tuners but only 3 are tuned on and it does not work in multi room.