how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Positive_guy

join:2012-12-11
Rochester, MN

MagicJack MJ porting fee charge

I just placed a request to port my landline number away from MJ to my new VoIP provider NetTalk. I received an email from MJ stating that the charge to port a number away for MJ is $30. THIS IS ILLEGAL according to the FCC. URL is »www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-k···roviders

Do NOT PAY MJ or reply to their emails. Your number will be ported anyway. Lodge a complaint to the BBB at »www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/b···omplaint

Remeber - DO NOT PAY MJ, YOUR NUMBER WILL BE PORTED.

mike82346

join:2011-07-07
Google Voice charges $20 to port a number out. Is that "illegal" also?

Positive_guy

join:2012-12-11
Rochester, MN
Yes. According to the FCC: "Be aware that when terminating service with a wireless company, you may be obligated to pay any early termination fees under your existing contract. Also, when terminating service with any company, you are usually required to pay any outstanding balance owed. Review your bill or contract to determine what fees or charges apply. Once you request service from the new company, however, your old company may not refuse to port your number, even if you owe money for an outstanding balance or termination fee." and "Companies may not refuse to port a number because a consumer has not paid for porting."

From FCC web site »www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-k···roviders

Nailgunner

join:2010-09-28
reply to Positive_guy
From your own link/quote...there is NOTHING illegal about them charging a porting fee. They just cannot hold up the port for non-payment of the fee. There is a world of difference between the two.

If they have charged you the fee, and refuse to port because you refuse to pay the fee, then and only then have they done something illegal that you can complain to the FCC about.