Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joepwpb
Premium
join:2000-12-15
West Palm Beach, FL

Win 8 Shutdown Tile Utility

I found a handy utility (a VB Script) which creates a classic windows shutdown box but it fails to run from the exe but will run from the script. I get a message "this app can't run on your PC".

Here is a link to the app, "Windows Shutdown Tile"

»download.cnet.com/Windows-8-Shut···970.html

Would someone take a look at it and see if they can get it to run?

Thanks

Joe P

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium
join:2001-07-13
Swartz Creek, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
Click for full size
Yes I got it to work, but there was a couple of steps that were not included. After you've got it pinned to Start or the Task Bar, click it and it takes you to your Desktop where you get a warning screen. Click More Info and it gives you the option to Run Anyways. After you've done that a box opens, see attached, uncheck it in the lower left corner and click Ok.

Then the Shut Down box will appear, the drop down will give you other choices. Once you've done that, by clicking the button in Start it will take you right to the Shut down box.

Lastly you can get to the same Shut down box from the Desktop by clicking Alt + F4.

Good Luck.
--
"It's not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
Charles Darwin

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
Thanks...

As soon as I click on the tile it does take me to the Desktop but I get the error "this app can't run on your PC"

Joe P

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium
Swartz Creek, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
said by joepwpb:

Thanks...

As soon as I click on the tile it does take me to the Desktop but I get the error "this app can't run on your PC"

Joe P

Can you post a screen shot?
--
"It's not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
Charles Darwin

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
Click for full size
Here's the screen shot in Word...couldn't find Paint !!!

Joe P

Edit: Found Paint !!!

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium
Swartz Creek, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
Hmmmm, that's not the message I got. Does your button look like this?

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
Yes the button looks like that...and I get the same message if I run the exe from the folder, but the VB Script works !!

Joe P

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium
Swartz Creek, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
said by joepwpb:

Yes the button looks like that...and I get the same message if I run the exe from the folder, but the VB Script works !!

Joe P

Have you been able to pin it to Start or Taskbar? I put it in both places for my wife, it is a lot easier than either hunting for the Power button or doing the Alt+F4.

So are you good to go?
--
Charles Darwin

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
Yes, it is pinned to the Desktop, Taskbar and the Start screen and no it does not work.

Joe P

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium
Swartz Creek, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
said by joepwpb:

Yes, it is pinned to the Desktop, Taskbar and the Start screen and no it does not work.

Joe P

Hmmmm, I'm stumped then. Sorry I couldn't help, maybe someone else can read the thread and give you some suggestions.

--
Charles Darwin

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
Thanks for your time and effort!!

Joe P

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to joepwpb
I did the direct download of the .zip file (did not use the CNET download manager).

I then extracted the contents of the zip file to a folder on my desktop, and then right-clicked on the exe and selected "Pin to start".

Clicking on the pinned tile in my start screen produces the desired results. I did not get the warning screen like gzt7d8 See Profile mentioned.

Just to see if it was a permissions issue, I moved the folder around to different locations. I put the folder off the root of C directly (yes, I know, bad bad bad!), and also into C:\Program Files (x86). Same results.

In looking at the js file, there is only one line of code in it. That code is below

(new ActiveXObject("Shell.Application")).ShutdownWindows();

In looking at the Readme that comes with it, it says the following

quote:
*If you have problems (and the files are in the same folder), then check your JAVA and ActiveX extensions/plug-ins.

What version of Java are you running on your system? I have Version 7 Update 10 (both 32 and 64 bit).

The other thing I can think of is what changes did you make to the options inside of Internet Explorer? I have learned that when you modify settings in there, you could also effect how Java/ActiveX items work outside of IE, as sometimes those settings do effect other programs.

In my case, I modified very little. Most of the ActiveX stuff would be on the Advanced tab, and for me, I only made the following changes to that tab from what was set as a default install.

Advanced Tab Changes
Notify when downloads complete (uncheck)
Resume windows for launching shortcuts (uncheck)
Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder when browser is closed (checked)

So, if you made additional changes to Active X in Internet Explorer, you may want to go back and see what you have changed.

Finally, what is your account type? Is it a restricted user account, or does your account have admin rights (ie part of the local administrators group)?

--Brian

--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
plencnerb,

I think it may be due to the absence of Java. I don't see Java in Control Panel, I just assumed that it was there in a new install of 8 Pro.

Joe P

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
If you don't see an icon for Java in the control panel when you click on the Program Icon, then you don't have it installed.

I would install the latest, and see if that resolves your issues.

--Brian

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
said by plencnerb:

If you don't see an icon for Java in the control panel when you click on the Program Icon, then you don't have it installed.

I would install the latest, and see if that resolves your issues.

--Brian

OK...installed latest Java and still does not work. No changes of any nature have been made prior to this issue.

It still works perfectly if I launch the script file.

Joe P

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
Since it does work when you launch the script file directly, then it probably is not a Java or ActiveX issue. If it was, I would think the script file would also give you an error.

It appears to be some kind of permissions issue then with it running as an exe.

Where is the folder that you have the files in? You probably did this already, but what if you create a folder on your desktop, and put the exe and the script file in there. Does the EXE directly give you the same error?

Also, have you made any changes to UAC? I re-read the thread, and I don't think I saw if you did or not. But, you may have..its getting late for me, so I may have just missed it.

Also, is this a local account, or Microsoft Account? Again, I don't think it should matter, just wondering which you are using. I got it to work with a local account.

If you are using a Microsoft account, could you try to create a local account, and see if it works? Just wondering is all.

Outside of that, I'm about at the end here too...I'm at a loss!

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

BandHeight

join:2004-08-30
reply to joepwpb
Not sure why the author of the software you are trying to launch went to so much trouble with the executable when you can simply do with only the JavaScript. The following describes how.

The main sticking point is how to pin a shortcut (to TaskBar or Start) that is not an executable ... and obviously the JavaScript is not. To confirm this issue, right-click on the saved JavaScript file and you will not be presented with 'pin to' options.

To overcome this, simply add 'wscript.exe' explicitly to the shortcut's target / command-line:

Target = C:\Users\Me\Desktop\shutdown.js

does not allow pinning.

Target = C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe "C:\Users\Me\Desktop\shutdown.js"

does allow pinning.

Once you set the target correctly, you can change the shortcut's icon to the 'PowerOff' icon to make it pretty (it's in the System32\shell.dll ... you may have to browse to it when selecting an icon).

If you want to run specific shutdown types directly, you can use the 'shutdown.exe' command with the appropriate switches / options required to shutdown, restart, etc. Directly running 'shutdown' from a shortcut will allow pinning; however, I launch my individual shutdown commands with VBScript code that suppresses the command box that flickers on screen when 'shutdown.exe' is executed, so I have to precede those targets with 'wscript.exe' as well.

Good luck.