dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Grey9
join:2009-05-18
Siloam Springs, AR

Grey9

Re: [AR] Anyone know of issues in Siloam Springs?

2 minutes after my last post, and again, I am not looking at HOP 7, that is not COX backbone, and the packet type being used is being shutdown at that server to prevent issues:

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

This one tells us more, it would suggest an issue between the PC that obtained the trace route data and the first hop past the modem. It could be the 5120 showing it's age or a signal related issue. It may be worth arranging for a technician to come out and check everything and possibly try another modem if no signal issue can be found.
Grey9
Siloam Springs, AR

1 edit

Grey9

I noted an issue right after my last post and checked my modem.....

But I am RATHER CURIOUS as the highlighted spot and the info looks like the modem was CYCLED but due to an issue at the Gateway. Also in my previous posted pic of this same Modem Page, there was a Critical 3 issue.

Now I will tell you this, If you and the previous user both feel that a DOCSIS 3.0 modem should solve this issue, I will replace it today. But I would hate to replace and find that the signal is an issue with a connector out on the pole like several years ago.

Grey9

Grey9

Easiest way to rule out In house Hardware / Computer Software is actually reverse the packet loss check from COX to my modem using the same software.

Or the DIAGNOSTIC software that should be available correct?

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to Grey9

to Grey9
Everybody finds that entry remarkably curious however in reality it's one of the most uneventful entries to be logged. The configurations downloaded by the modems are designed to work for a variety of different models and contain many model specific settings which are harmless to other modems. When the modem tried to apply one of these settings that doesn't apply it is discarded and a TLV-11 - unrecognized OID event is logged and categorized as 6-Notice indicating a non-error.

While 3.0 modem may not be absolutely necessary for your tier of service they are highly recommended due to their channel bonding capability which helps deliver more consistent speeds when one or more channels is low on capacity due to peak demand.

1st hop failures indicate a problem with the segment between the device collecting the data and our CMTS. Network Interface Card, Ethernet, router, modem, HFC netork and CMTS all reside on this segment which is why I would suggest a service call. If you're ready and willing to try upgrading the modem that's certainly an option but there's still not enough information to determine if the modem is the issue.
Grey9
Siloam Springs, AR

Grey9

Well, with the level of frustration over this issue, yes - I am ready / willing to upgrade my modem.

Last question....Shown in the screenshot is a 3-Critical. Each time it appears, the Radio Stream stops. Odd thing, if it happens again before no other Modem issues / functions, it OverWrites the previous as shown in the second version of the screenshot.....

Grey9

Grey9

BTW...Thank you CoxTech1 and centerton for the assistance with this.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

The T3 event occurs when upstream communication times out after 200ms. Streaming services would definitely be more impacted by this type of event. We're back to modem or signal issue being possible causes if these events are frequent enough to impair service.
Grey9
Siloam Springs, AR

2 edits

Grey9

Thank you both again.

Got my other question fixed.

Will report back tomorrow. Gonna change the Modem today and try things over night.
Grey9

Grey9

Just an update.

So I replaced it with a Motorola SB6121.

Performance of the Radio Stream and Online FPS has greatly improved. Wish my skills on FPS would do the same

Thank you both again.
Grey9

Grey9

Also wanted to add.

When adding the new modem to the account, I was on hold no longer than 2 minutes, and the Tech-Rep spent less than 3 minutes to get me online and going.

Not bad for the Saturday, early afternoon.
Grey9

Grey9

Downstream is bonded.

Upstream is non-bonded.

This is correct?