Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4

Re: [Weather] Special weather statement - WOCN11 CWTO 201145

Hah yeah, that's the exact location of the microclimate, but there's another separate microclimate within a small section of Niagara Falls itself near the actual Falls.

When I worked in St. Cats but lived in NF it was weird. It would be snowing like crazy in Niagara Falls when I left for work. The moment you'd pass Mountain Road on the QEW the snow would stop, the sun would be shining and you'd see grass. My car would still be covered in snow and everyone in St. Cats would give me a weird look. Going home at the end of the day I would take the 406 and 58. The weather would be nice as I entered the Thorold Tunnel, and as I emerged on the Niagara Falls side the snow storm would commence and by the time I'd get home the piles of snow on my street would be taller than a minivan.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

This microclimate is exactly why I moved to St. Catharines. The amount of effort I engage in removing snow from anything is minimal, maybe a few times a year I'll shovel the walk way. I think maybe once I had to clear out my driveway in the past few years.

I just came from Niagara Falls, exactly 12 minutes from where I am now, and there's a blanket of snow on the ground. Here? Whatever the term is when there's a dusting that almost imperceptable, where you see more ground than snow.

I'm genuinely interested to know how the weather here compares to Leamington, Ontario, since Leamington is pretty much the largest most southern municipality you can find in Canada.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Leamington is moderated by the lake, especially in the summer when southernly winds cool down after a 60km journey over water.

In winter they'll sometimes get good dumpings of snow if the wind is from the west.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by mr weather:

Leamington is moderated by the lake, especially in the summer when southernly winds cool down after a 60km journey over water.
In winter they'll sometimes get good dumpings of snow if the wind is from the west.

That's the same as Fort Erie - or anywhere along Lake Erie for that matter - except that in Fort Erie specifically we get more snow as we're in the perfect position to get Lake Effect snow from three lakes - Erie, Ontario and even Huron. Lake Huron snow is a lot more common down here than people would think.

It's beautiful in the summer down here though, always cooler than the surrounding area.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

said by Gone:

It's beautiful in the summer down here though, always cooler than the surrounding area.

Indeed. Mrs. Weather is from there (I grew up in Windsor) and during summertime visits it's always a refreshing change going from my parents in Windsor to my in-laws in Leamington.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

haha I always chuckle when a thread concerning weather has a new post notification from "mr weather". The expert weather man has something to say!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Indeed. Mrs. Weather is from there (I grew up in Windsor) and during summertime visits it's always a refreshing change going from my parents in Windsor to my in-laws in Leamington.

I'm near the lake here in town. When I go for walks in the summer there is a certain point where if you take one step the air gets gold, and if you go back a step it's warmer and humid. Where that line is depends on the direction and speed of the wind.