Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

2 recommendations

sfogliatelle

Premium Member

Flickr gives free Pro trial to users after Instagram outcry

Free three months Pro usage includes unlimited uploads

Photo sharing site Flickr is offering its free users an upgraded membership at no charge. Messages sent to users under the subject line "Merry Flickr" state that users will have three months of access to Flickr Pro automatically, and comes shortly after Instagram caused a public outcry by altering its terms of service.

Users will be able to view their entire photo library instead of the last 200 images, can upload unlimited numbers of photos, can download originally-uploaded high-resolution photos, and also upload and play unlimited HD videos to the service. The upgrade requires users to click a banner on the website or within the mobile app, and does not require anyone to discontinue the offer before it runs out on the 22nd of March. Accounts will automatically revert back to their original status, though users can pay $7 per quarter to continue their Pro membership.

The timing of the offer appears to capitalize on the user uprising on Instagram, caused by a change to its terms of service. Originally, Instagram changed the document to allow for the potential sale of images stored on the site with no compensation offered to the user, a change that has since been reverted back to what it was before. Flickr, on the other hand, has a program run in conjunction with Getty Images, allowing its users to receive payment for images sold through the stock photography company.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

donoreo

Premium Member

Flickr also had good timing releasing their vastly improved iOS app this week.

Kathy_9
Premium Member
join:2005-05-15
Cloud 9

1 recommendation

Kathy_9 to sfogliatelle

Premium Member

to sfogliatelle
Flickr also gave existing Pro users an additional 3 months tacked on to their current membership for free.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Kathy_9:

Flickr also gave existing Pro users an additional 3 months tacked on to their current membership for free.

I got that email, but my date has not adjusted.

Kathy_9
Premium Member
join:2005-05-15
Cloud 9

1 recommendation

Kathy_9

Premium Member

I clicked on a banner on my home page and immediately got a notice that my Pro membership was extended. A little while later I got a Flickr mail confirming the extension. Maybe yours will show up in a bit?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
It does seem wonky. My account page says one date (the current renewal date) and the "Flickr mail" message says another date (slightly less than one month later than the account page).

But after reading the stupidly long thread about this on their support site, this seems to be the case:

If you are a paid Pro member NOT enrolled in an auto-renewal, your Pro expiration date will be extended by 3 months. If you are enrolled in an auto-renewal billing plan, the gift will be applied to your account on your next billing date.

So when I renew (I have annual auto-renewal setup), my new renewal date will be three months later. I think. (The date in the message I received, March 21, seems to be a common typo that other users have reported in said thread as well).

I guess it's the thought that counts?

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

1 recommendation

donoreo

Premium Member

That makes sense.

I bet this idea came right from the top. Marissa Mayer seems pretty smart. Not bad looking either

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by Kathy_9:

I got that email, but my date has not adjusted.

i got neither

i just logged on and saw the banner, got 3 months added

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

No love here, either. No email, no banner, no change in expiration date. I'll wait patiently for Santa to show up.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

This might work: »www.flickr.com/holidaygift

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

You rock. Thanks.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

No problem, glad it worked

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

That makes sense.

I bet this idea came right from the top. Marissa Mayer seems pretty smart. Not bad looking either

I bet you are quite right. Leo Laporte was just saying this week that she seems very much into art and photography and believes she will really do a lot with Flickr.