how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

Experiences with garage mats?

I'm building a 1200+ sqft storage barn and was thinking about coatings for the concrete floor. It seems that any coating involves etching the floor which in my case is now brand-spanking-new-smooth-and-beautiful. So I'm thinking now to do mats for under the RV, the motorcycles, the tractor, and maybe cushioned mats for my workshop area.

The G-Force ribbed mats from Sam's Club are very cheap so I'm leaning in that direction but would sure like to hear any opinions people here might have about this subject!

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Brand new smooth and slippery floor.

Have no idea about the mats. But epoxy done right is awesome and beautiful. Cleanable and it's NOT slippery.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to laserfan
My brother has mats he got from Sam's Club in his garage. He really likes them. He pulls them out about once a year to give everything a good cleaning, and I have to admit, they don't look too bad. They do help a lot with the salt and slush coming off the cars in the winter around here. They're certainly not wall-to-wall, but his do cover the entire width of his garage door, and then some. I think he said he paid around $100 apiece for the two mats he uses.

I also have a neighbor that had Nature Stone installed in his garage a few years ago, and I think it looks great. It remains to be seen just how durable a surface it is, though. I examined it just this last summer, and it still looks like it was a brand new surface, albeit a bit on the pricey side. I gave some thought to having them come to my place and give me a quote to do mine.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

laserfan

Texas
reply to beck
said by beck:

...epoxy done right is awesome and beautiful.

But for my building we're talking almost $5K for a professional job. I don't need to make my barn showroom-quality, at least not for that price.

Pacrat thanks--the mats I'm considering are about $250 each. I'm not done researching yet, but noticed somewhere that these can be glued to the floor, which I *would not* want to do. So apparently your brother has not had to stick his down to get them to lay flat.

I live in So Texas so no slush or salt problems here, but I like the idea of protecting against oil & coolant stains etc.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
I was looking around online, and most of the mats (rolls) I saw recommended double-sticky carpet tape just to keep the edges down flat. I shouldn't be necessary to glue down the whole thing. Most ads suggested, however, that roll-down mats should lay completely flat in time, without any additional adhesives of any kind. I know my brother's mats are not glued... he removes them from time to time to clean his garage thoroughly.

The plant I used to work in used some kind of concrete sealer on its floors that held up very well under towmotor and foot traffic without being slippery as hell. It actually gave the floors somewhat of a shine, although I know it was not a wax. They used it to minimize dust and to facilitate cleaning the floors. You might want to look into a product like that... a sealer, seeing as your application would be on a brand new floor.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

laserfan

Texas
said by Pacrat:

I know my brother's mats are not glued...

Yeah that caught my eye for sure. If I go this route, I may do the carpet tape thing if I have two mats butted-together.

quote:
The plant I used to work in used some kind of concrete sealer...
Thanks I will start by asking my builder & his concrete guy about this. Maybe I will call one of the high-end concrete refinishers too.

Thanks for the help.