how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dragoon6

join:2001-02-01
Maylene, AL

[Speed Issues] Slow spped at night

I have the charter 100Mbps package and every night my speed slows down to less than 3Mbps. It is so slow that I can't use my VOIP. I have contacted the help desk numerous times and they send someone to my house during the day when there are no issues. What are my other options? I can tell that they have oversubscribed my node.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
3Mbps is fast enough to run VOiP. It's mainly the upload that will effect that quality and at that, VOiP only requires your connection needs a minimum upstream and downstream capacity of 90kb/s.

»www.voip.com/voip_installation.aspx

That does not mean anything really as far as your big time speed issue though.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

dragoon6

Maylene, AL
The tech came out to my house and he agrees that the node is over loaded. He said that they have been re running the cable from the street to peoples houses and charging a $45 fee. Charter knows they have over subscribed the nodes but they keep charging their customers. Here is my speed test from tonight.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
As a general rule, the speed tests on this site are some of the worst ones around, IMO.

Have to say though that your speed, or lack of it, has more to do with than just this site's speed test, from the looks of that result.

How can Charter charge you $45 to fix THEIR messed up stuff?
--
The Firefox alternative.

dragoon6

Maylene, AL
The tech said they have been told to replace the cable from the street to the house and claim that is the problem. Then the customer gets charged $45.

dragoon6

Maylene, AL
reply to cork1958

Best I can get on a Sunday morning. Paying for 100Mbps

vickbmx

join:2004-07-06

1 edit
reply to dragoon6
You guys aren't going to get anywhere with 3rd party speed testing sites. Use their tools and try to get local contacts to get it resolved. Usually is going to be incorrect load balancing, not an oversold node.

sk8er

@charter.com
reply to dragoon6
I too have the issue of extreme slowdowns at night. There is no set time that it happens, but it is usually starts between 7 PM and 8 PM and ends between 10:30PM and 11:30 PM.
I believe it is as others have stated and Charter has over-committed their individual trunks. Normally I get between 25-40 Mbps on my Charter Plus account (30Mbps). However during the peak-time slowdowns transfer speeds can get as slow as 2Mbps and ping times can go anywhere between 500ms to 2000ms for sites that normally ping at 50ms or less.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to dragoon6
Still don't know how they can charge you $45 to fix an outside line that is DEFINITELY their problem?

On the 30/4 plan at 9:35pm EST. Upload is controlled through router for VOiP phone.

As vickbmx said though, you need to use Charters speed test and other tools to convince them it's their problem, even if they already know it!!
--
The Firefox alternative.