spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

not

@comcast.net

[rant] Apple Support Sucks

Why is it that they refuse to state anything in an email as to what the problem or solution is for a case you're working with them on? WTF is that about? The reps also don't answer the calls when you call them, all they do is email you back and forth asking when a good time will be to call you. Then half the time they don't even call you when you ask them to as those specific times. What kind of support is that? I think Apple is scared to just state on paper what the details of a problem is and why they can or cannot fix it. Great, I guess I'll have to revert to recording the conversations like I am currently doing.

Seriously, I HAVE NEVER seen or dealt with such bad support in all my life. I don't have time to chat with you on the phone about something you can easily tell me in an email. Unbelievably horrible support ethics out of these guys!!!

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

I've had no trouble getting the specific rep who worked on my computer on the phone (albeit, it's a ten minute process).
Try asking politely (or get a manager if you're not getting satisfaction).
IMHO (and I'm not trying to blindly defend them)...customer support is excellent and far and away above the level of any other major branded merchandise I've dealt with (try calling HP support with a printer question!)
If you're unsatisfied, write/call Apple.com headquarters...they'll reply and address your concerns.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to not

Apple does like to be vague on what the problem is.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to not

Actually I would prefer a call and I received excellent service the 6 times over the past 8 or so years I have dealt with them. Dell, Acer and Asus on the other hand...ooofff.

I would definitely write a complain letter if you are getting the run around.

ToxicDrew
Premium
join:2001-09-24
reply to not

You are very over dramatic. I as have many others received nothing but top notch customer support. You want to know what bad customer service is really like? try dealing with Netgear support after 90 day warranty.
--
dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true...

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to not

I can say, without a doubt, support is pretty awesome.

They refunded 100% of my money on an Apple RAID card after I'd had it for 18 months and it constantly failed on array rebuilds after a disk failure.

They made me jump through about 40 hoops-a-fire and replace the card 2 or 3 times. But, at the end of the day, they gave me my money back because that card was utter crap.

That there is pretty good service.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to not

You're doing it wrong . . .

--
December is National Fruit Cake Month

not

@comcast.net
reply to ke4pym

I'm sorry, but they aren't. I've actually had great success with Dell, HP, SonicWall, you name it. I guess their support is just geared towards idiots or something. When I call you and tell you what's wrong and you have the inability to duplicate and understand the issue and then can't even put me in touch with the behind the scenes engineers who can't duplicate things either, it's no excuse. Especially when a ton of people hare the same issue on your own Apple forums, I can duplicate the same issues on several systems with my eyes closed.

Apple is just vague when it comes down to actually accepting that something is wrong. They don't admit it and they skirt the situation, especially when it's one that's affecting a ton of people. It's their M.O. and how they work. Like I said, these people won't even email you with what they want to call you and say on the phone. Why? It's not confidential info... it's a "Well, the engineers want you to do this next." Great, put that isht into an email and send it to me. Oh, we can't do that... I can however call you and tell you on the phone? Like I said.. WTF?!

Also, their support staff, even team leaders do not know as much as they should. All they do is escalate your problem to the engineers who can't understand the issue either and basically come back with the... Um, it's just you. Really? Is that why everyone else has this same issue? Is that why I can go to an Apple Store and duplicate the same problem on their own hardware on display? Ya, but you're right... it's just me.

One day this way of doing business is going to bite Apple in the ass.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to not

IMO, Apple has some of the best support around. I group Apple's support with Canon, Amazon and Newegg (Amazon and Newegg for Customer Service).

Some of the other computer companies and computer parts companies that I have dealt with have such bad support that I cannot even begin to describe it. I could tell some stories that are actually scary.

I just had an issue with an iMac where it would not update. A Senior Advisor worked with me for days until he finally sent me to an Apple Store, and the young lady at the Genius Bar was fantastic and solved my problem. It was a breeze.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to not

Sonicwall and Dell are the worst of the worst. I had a SOHO2 and 3 that were mediocre at best. Sonicwall would take forever to respond to support requests and then when they finally respond do so with canned vomit that obviously showed they didm"t read the ticket. Then there is their fee schedule, charging for EVERYTHING. If I wanted to lease a firewall, I would lease a firewall. Sonicwall makes Symantec look like Lexus in terms of support and service.

Dell is another disaster. I had 2 servers, both with 24HR on site support. Never where they on-site in the next day and more often than not the tech would miss the appointment all together; no shows were commonplace. And Dell couldn't care less about leaving my machines down for more than a week at a time as they already had my money. Never again.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

Best & worst computer tech support (consumers reports)
»news.consumerreports.org/electro···ews.html

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

No kidding and in that 2010 CR survey it wasn't even close. Apple was far and away superior, besting 2nd place Dell in desktops by some 30+ points and 2nd place Lenovo in notebooks by over 20 points (out of 100). Given my experience with Dell I'm surprised they made it out of the single digits.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to not

said by not :

Why is it that they refuse to state anything in an email as to what the problem or solution is for a case you're working with them on? WTF is that about? The reps also don't answer the calls when you call them, all they do is email you back and forth asking when a good time will be to call you. Then half the time they don't even call you when you ask them to as those specific times. What kind of support is that? I think Apple is scared to just state on paper what the details of a problem is and why they can or cannot fix it. Great, I guess I'll have to revert to recording the conversations like I am currently doing.

Seriously, I HAVE NEVER seen or dealt with such bad support in all my life. I don't have time to chat with you on the phone about something you can easily tell me in an email. Unbelievably horrible support ethics out of these guys!!!

have you called dell or microsoft recently for support
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1

Microsoft Support? Isn't that Oxymoron? Microsoft does not have support unless you are willing to pay $500/hr for someone to just listen to you for an hour before you run out of Mortgage... lol

Forget that Smelly Company called d3LL

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

And if it is an OEM machine, the OEMs tell you to call Microsoft and Microsoft tells you to call the OEM. I had that happen with Dell too...pawning me off on Microsoft when it is clear that Dell as the OEM is supposed to provide OS support.

not

@comcast.net
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Sonicwall and Dell are the worst of the worst. I had a SOHO2 and 3 that were mediocre at best. Sonicwall would take forever to respond to support requests and then when they finally respond do so with canned vomit that obviously showed they didm"t read the ticket. Then there is their fee schedule, charging for EVERYTHING. If I wanted to lease a firewall, I would lease a firewall. Sonicwall makes Symantec look like Lexus in terms of support and service.

Dell is another disaster. I had 2 servers, both with 24HR on site support. Never where they on-site in the next day and more often than not the tech would miss the appointment all together; no shows were commonplace. And Dell couldn't care less about leaving my machines down for more than a week at a time as they already had my money. Never again.

SonicWalls are sold with 90 days warranty/support. Yep, I agree, that sucks, but that's their business model. Maybe they'll change that now since they got bought out by Dell, who knows. Cisco is pretty bad about that as well in terms of support for something you don't have a contract for. Actually, it's pretty funny because Cisco's way of doing things is pretty close to Apple's in my opinion.

As for Dell support and onsite. I don't have that issue, but at the same time I don't need their idiot techs to show up. Three weeks ago I had a client with a failed drive in their RAID5 array. Called Dell server support, told them what I found in OpenManage and what I was seeing in person. Tech understood the issue without further diagnosis and wrote it up as a drive replacement while I waited about 5 minutes on the phone with him. I had a replacement drive next day that I swapped out and went on with life. Simple, do what I ask you to, and skip all the BS. That's what I expect.

A long time ago I had a very bad experience with Sony and a PC someone in the family bought. When we ran into issues with it (something that was fixed in a BIOS update 3 months later) they gave us the runaround and wanted us to send the unit back in a box, etc. Horrible support when it was something that I told them specifically what to do to duplicate it and fix it.

Another example of bad support is when I emailed them about a Blueray Player having issues with one particular disc. I told them it was a firmware issue and to escalate it to their dev team. They initially insisted that it was a disc problem. Ya, it wasn't, and I had already made sure to cover that possibility before I even wrote into them. I insisted they escalate the issue. Fast forward 1.5 months later and a firmware update comes out to fix the issue. Amazing, isn't it?

Look, bottom line is, I've been working with technology long enough to know when something is wrong and what to do about it. I have a knack for finding small issues that no one else finds (well, not a large group anyway). When I tell you that you need to look closer at something to discover an issue that's truly there, you need to just humor me and listen. In the long run, we'll both be happy if you just follow my request.... and we can get the issue fixed for a ton of people too.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to not

said by not :

There are a number of reasons why tech companies don't allow their advisors to send instructions via email (Apple is not the only one). Main reason is that if the tech that sends it to you, sends along instructions that are not endorsed by the company it could possibly come back and haunt them. Not to mention, not all customer are as tech savvy as you are. As a matter of fact most that call in for support are not and if the instructions sent are not good enough they could possibly make the situation worse. If there is a public facing article that they can send you with the instructions they will do so happily. As for the tech not answering the phone when you call, that's easy, they are already on the phone. They are an inbound call center and have to take phone calls. They can't very well tell the customer they are currently talking with "Could you please hold while I answer this other line to deal with another customer." If they did that to you, that's what you would be complaining about here. The same thing pertains to them calling you back at the appointed time. If they are already on the phone with another customer they can't just hang up with them to call you.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to not

This has never been my experience with Apple support, but on the other-hand I haven't had many reasons to call them. When I have it's always been a Polite, Professional, and Timely experience.
Maybe you're projecting a know it all attitude that's turning them off. I know when I run into that sort of thing I have a tendency to be a lot less helpful ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

not

@comcast.net
reply to kitsune

said by kitsune See Profile
There are a number of reasons why tech companies don't allow their advisors to send instructions via email (Apple is not the only one). Main reason is that if the tech that sends it to you, sends along instructions that are not endorsed by the company it could possibly come back and haunt them. Not to mention, not all customer are as tech savvy as you are. As a matter of fact most that call in for support are not and if the instructions sent are not good enough they could possibly make the situation worse. If there is a public facing article that they can send you with the instructions they will do so happily. As for the tech not answering the phone when you call, that's easy, they are already on the phone. They are an inbound call center and have to take phone calls. They can't very well tell the customer they are currently talking with "Could you please hold while I answer this other line to deal with another customer." If they did that to you, that's what you would be complaining about here. The same thing pertains to them calling you back at the appointed time. If they are already on the phone with another customer they can't just hang up with them to call you.
[/BQUOTE :

I get the instructions part, but a few of the calls have been nothing more than "OK, what did engineering say?" Great, thanks, I'll get back to you once I have the rest of their request together. That's not them wanting to make sure nothing gets messed up. That's them not wanting to put what they say in writing for feat that it'll come back and bite them for some reason. As a side note, they also don't and WILL NOT provide the customer with ANY notes on ANY case they've opened. They will not release those notes to the customer. That's legal guardianship right there, nothing more.

not

@comcast.net
reply to not quite right

said by not quite right:

This has never been my experience with Apple support, but on the other-hand I haven't had many reasons to call them. When I have it's always been a Polite, Professional, and Timely experience.
Maybe you're projecting a know it all attitude that's turning them off. I know when I run into that sort of thing I have a tendency to be a lot less helpful ...

On the contrary, I've been very nice to them, but also to the point. I have problem A when I do THIS. If I don't do THIS, I don't have problem A. I can duplicate problem A by doing THIS on ALL your products (even ones in a store). Please explain how I can do this and your high-paid engineers cannot duplicate the problem? "We can't." Do you think you might not be paying close enough attention to realize what the problem is. After all, it isn't until general people look real close that they realize they've developed this problem.

Take a look at problem reference... »MacBook Pro 13 (Latest 2012 Version) Sleep Issues

More and more people are finally noticing that they have this issue... and they were even aware of it immediately.

That's because it's not something a non-OCD person will notice right off the bat. For me, it stood out like a sore thumb.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Da Geek Kid

said by Da Geek Kid:

Microsoft Support? Isn't that Oxymoron? Microsoft does not have support unless you are willing to pay $500/hr for someone to just listen to you for an hour before you run out of Mortgage... lol

Not true at all. I had a keyboard/mouse issue and they overnighted me a brand new set. Didn't ask for the old one back.

I had problems installing Windows 8 on a finicky HTPC. MS support spent an hour on the phone with me working through the hardware issues that were preventing the OS from installing properly.

I had a Win 8 key that was being rejected. MS support got me taken care of in about 5 minutes.

Say what you will, but at some point, people need to stop drinking the iKool-Aid and realize that Apple isn't necessarily as perfect as St. Steve would have had everyone believe.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

Microsoft charges an arm and leg for support unless you have purchased something directly from them. In other words it didn't ship with your computer.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

said by kitsune:

Microsoft charges an arm and leg for support unless you have purchased something directly from them. In other words it didn't ship with your computer.

Keyboard and mouse were purchased from Newegg.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

Squirrelly

join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to not

stop feeding the troll, Apple has been ranked number 1 I think for that last 5 years or so in customer service. Have fun with your tech support from Dell or HP. Like they say, you can't please everyone all the time.

I know the few times I had to call they were great, they even replaced my 3 year old router with a brand new one when it died and no I didn't have a warrenty on it.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to not

said by not :

I'm sorry, but they aren't. I've actually had great success with Dell, HP, SonicWall, you name it. I guess their support is just geared towards idiots or something. When I call you and tell you what's wrong and you have the inability to duplicate and understand the issue and then can't even put me in touch with the behind the scenes engineers who can't duplicate things either, it's no excuse. Especially when a ton of people hare the same issue on your own Apple forums, I can duplicate the same issues on several systems with my eyes closed.

Apple is just vague when it comes down to actually accepting that something is wrong. They don't admit it and they skirt the situation, especially when it's one that's affecting a ton of people. It's their M.O. and how they work. Like I said, these people won't even email you with what they want to call you and say on the phone. Why? It's not confidential info... it's a "Well, the engineers want you to do this next." Great, put that isht into an email and send it to me. Oh, we can't do that... I can however call you and tell you on the phone? Like I said.. WTF?!

Also, their support staff, even team leaders do not know as much as they should. All they do is escalate your problem to the engineers who can't understand the issue either and basically come back with the... Um, it's just you. Really? Is that why everyone else has this same issue? Is that why I can go to an Apple Store and duplicate the same problem on their own hardware on display? Ya, but you're right... it's just me.

One day this way of doing business is going to bite Apple in the ass.

They had no problem admitting to me that their controller was sub-par... And I can personally tell you, that unless you're a large company, with HP enterprise class sales guys, you're not going to get to the engineers either.

I will say, the genius bar associates I had to work with weren't the brightest bunch when it came to RAID technologies. But I would expect a large, large majority of their customers aren't using RAID. The one associate I had to deal with on my 3rd or 4th trip to the Apple store just gave up with "You know more about RAID than I do, what do you want me to write on this ticket?".

Though, the trips to the store were always amusing. I saw no less than 2 dozen people come in with broken iPhones during the 8 or so hours I'd been in the store over the course of 4 visits. That'll be $199 to fix, please.

I don't think Apple's support is going to bite them in the ass. Some of the other stupid things they're doing, yes. Support? No way.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Da Geek Kid

said by Da Geek Kid:

Forget that Smelly Company called d3LL

I consider myself very, very fortunate to work for a company who has an Enterprise agreement with Microsoft and, as far as I know, we have unlimited support calls (well, the $$$ to pay for them, anyway). And I (as well as everyone on my team) have the authority to declare a call with a severity A (work on the problem 24/7/365 until the problem is fixed).

Microsoft's support is far from an oxymoron. It is a superior product and it gets results. I could go on for days about how they've saved our bacon. But, well, this isn't the place for it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

So there is a Microsoft support unicorn but it only appears when lured by several wheelbarrows full of money. On the consumer side, you are on your own.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

No. As I mentioned above.

Da Geek Kid

No. you mentioned HARDWARE. Windows 8 is less than 30 days old as an Operating system so there's no reason not to get a support. Please make a phone call for Office 2010 and let us know how it goes...

Da Geek Kid

Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to ke4pym

And as far as your company spending $100 mil/mth for MS support. I do also work for a large company and support is only for the "LESS" privileged of extremely handful of people who build junk like GOLD CDs... So, as far as anyone can call and get a support for AD issues interacting with Cisco/3rd party device, well...