join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Da Geek Kid

Re: [rant] Apple Support Sucks

said by Da Geek Kid:

Microsoft Support? Isn't that Oxymoron? Microsoft does not have support unless you are willing to pay $500/hr for someone to just listen to you for an hour before you run out of Mortgage... lol

Not true at all. I had a keyboard/mouse issue and they overnighted me a brand new set. Didn't ask for the old one back.

I had problems installing Windows 8 on a finicky HTPC. MS support spent an hour on the phone with me working through the hardware issues that were preventing the OS from installing properly.

I had a Win 8 key that was being rejected. MS support got me taken care of in about 5 minutes.

Say what you will, but at some point, people need to stop drinking the iKool-Aid and realize that Apple isn't necessarily as perfect as St. Steve would have had everyone believe.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

Microsoft charges an arm and leg for support unless you have purchased something directly from them. In other words it didn't ship with your computer.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

said by kitsune:

Microsoft charges an arm and leg for support unless you have purchased something directly from them. In other words it didn't ship with your computer.

Keyboard and mouse were purchased from Newegg.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

Squirrelly

join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to not

stop feeding the troll, Apple has been ranked number 1 I think for that last 5 years or so in customer service. Have fun with your tech support from Dell or HP. Like they say, you can't please everyone all the time.

I know the few times I had to call they were great, they even replaced my 3 year old router with a brand new one when it died and no I didn't have a warrenty on it.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to not

said by not :

I'm sorry, but they aren't. I've actually had great success with Dell, HP, SonicWall, you name it. I guess their support is just geared towards idiots or something. When I call you and tell you what's wrong and you have the inability to duplicate and understand the issue and then can't even put me in touch with the behind the scenes engineers who can't duplicate things either, it's no excuse. Especially when a ton of people hare the same issue on your own Apple forums, I can duplicate the same issues on several systems with my eyes closed.

Apple is just vague when it comes down to actually accepting that something is wrong. They don't admit it and they skirt the situation, especially when it's one that's affecting a ton of people. It's their M.O. and how they work. Like I said, these people won't even email you with what they want to call you and say on the phone. Why? It's not confidential info... it's a "Well, the engineers want you to do this next." Great, put that isht into an email and send it to me. Oh, we can't do that... I can however call you and tell you on the phone? Like I said.. WTF?!

Also, their support staff, even team leaders do not know as much as they should. All they do is escalate your problem to the engineers who can't understand the issue either and basically come back with the... Um, it's just you. Really? Is that why everyone else has this same issue? Is that why I can go to an Apple Store and duplicate the same problem on their own hardware on display? Ya, but you're right... it's just me.

One day this way of doing business is going to bite Apple in the ass.

They had no problem admitting to me that their controller was sub-par... And I can personally tell you, that unless you're a large company, with HP enterprise class sales guys, you're not going to get to the engineers either.

I will say, the genius bar associates I had to work with weren't the brightest bunch when it came to RAID technologies. But I would expect a large, large majority of their customers aren't using RAID. The one associate I had to deal with on my 3rd or 4th trip to the Apple store just gave up with "You know more about RAID than I do, what do you want me to write on this ticket?".

Though, the trips to the store were always amusing. I saw no less than 2 dozen people come in with broken iPhones during the 8 or so hours I'd been in the store over the course of 4 visits. That'll be $199 to fix, please.

I don't think Apple's support is going to bite them in the ass. Some of the other stupid things they're doing, yes. Support? No way.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Da Geek Kid

said by Da Geek Kid:

Microsoft Support? Isn't that Oxymoron? Microsoft does not have support unless you are willing to pay $500/hr for someone to just listen to you for an hour before you run out of Mortgage... lol

Forget that Smelly Company called d3LL

I consider myself very, very fortunate to work for a company who has an Enterprise agreement with Microsoft and, as far as I know, we have unlimited support calls (well, the $$$ to pay for them, anyway). And I (as well as everyone on my team) have the authority to declare a call with a severity A (work on the problem 24/7/365 until the problem is fixed).

Microsoft's support is far from an oxymoron. It is a superior product and it gets results. I could go on for days about how they've saved our bacon. But, well, this isn't the place for it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

So there is a Microsoft support unicorn but it only appears when lured by several wheelbarrows full of money. On the consumer side, you are on your own.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

No. As I mentioned above.

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1

No. you mentioned HARDWARE. Windows 8 is less than 30 days old as an Operating system so there's no reason not to get a support. Please make a phone call for Office 2010 and let us know how it goes...

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to ke4pym

And as far as your company spending $100 mil/mth for MS support. I do also work for a large company and support is only for the "LESS" privileged of extremely handful of people who build junk like GOLD CDs... So, as far as anyone can call and get a support for AD issues interacting with Cisco/3rd party device, well...

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Squirrelly

said by Squirrelly:

stop feeding the troll, Apple has been ranked number 1 I think for that last 5 years or so in customer service. Have fun with your tech support from Dell or HP. Like they say, you can't please everyone all the time.

I know the few times I had to call they were great, they even replaced my 3 year old router with a brand new one when it died and no I didn't have a warrenty on it.

That's what I was thinking ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to not

I never had to call Apple support until a few months ago when my credit card company called me 8am inquiring about some very large purchases on iTunes. Somebody used my card to ring up over $600 bucks of iTunes purchases. My card was cancelled and while I waited for my new card to arrive Apple disabled my iTunes account. I tried changing my CC number on my iTunes account but it was toast.

I called Apple and they clear as day told me they DO NOT support iTunes over the phone! I had to open a web ticket. The web support was useless. They told me to login to my account and change my CC number... Well I already did that but my account was disabled. I was so frustrated with them. We went back and forth and nothing was getting the point across that my account was disabled. They just didn't understand, I am convinced their web support must be in India.

I finally called back their 800 service and was very blunt and was not taking their use the web support non-sense. So the 800 service opened a web ticket for me (they claim they can't fix iTunes accounts) and got the same response. It was interesting to see their 800 support deal with their own web support. Finally somebody fixed it. The whole experience was not what I was expecting from Apple.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Looking at the Apple support site, if you select Apple ID account billing (from iTunes, iTunes Store, purchases-billing), which is the problem you had, you can schedule a support call. It is one of the iTunes related support issues that you don't have to do a web ticket for. Apple will call you on the phone to resolve your problem.

»www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/
--
In a nation of spoiled children, Santa Claus always wins.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
Reviews:
·VoicePulse

said by skeechan:

Looking at the Apple support site, if you select Apple ID account billing (from iTunes, iTunes Store, purchases-billing), which is the problem you had, you can schedule a support call. It is one of the iTunes related support issues that you don't have to do a web ticket for. Apple will call you on the phone to resolve your problem.

»www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/

From what Apple told me at the time, that department cannot unlock an account. Web support is the only division with the ability.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to not

One of the few times you can get phone support for iTunes is when Fraud is involved.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to mm

That's really lame.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to kitsune

That is because when you do the eventual credit card chargeback they'll eat it.
--

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Da Geek Kid

said by Da Geek Kid:

And as far as your company spending $100 mil/mth for MS support. I do also work for a large company and support is only for the "LESS" privileged of extremely handful of people who build junk like GOLD CDs... So, as far as anyone can call and get a support for AD issues interacting with Cisco/3rd party device, well...

Bummer for you man. You should document why it is in your companies best interest to allow others to open calls. A few weeks ago, we had NASA's Microsoft engineer (I've heard he was the guy that wrote Netmon) in our shop along with Cisco, TimeWarner and AT&T to address a perplexing network issue we were having with some remote facilities. So, it can be done. Whether or not your company allows it to be done....
Expand your moderator at work

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

said by not :

I'm sorry, but they aren't. I've actually had great success with Dell, HP, SonicWall, you name it. I guess their support is just geared towards idiots or something. When I call you and tell you what's wrong and you have the inability to duplicate and understand the issue and then can't even put me in touch with the behind the scenes engineers who can't duplicate things either, it's no excuse. Especially when a ton of people hare the same issue on your own Apple forums, I can duplicate the same issues on several systems with my eyes closed.

Apple is just vague when it comes down to actually accepting that something is wrong. They don't admit it and they skirt the situation, especially when it's one that's affecting a ton of people. It's their M.O. and how they work. Like I said, these people won't even email you with what they want to call you and say on the phone. Why? It's not confidential info... it's a "Well, the engineers want you to do this next." Great, put that isht into an email and send it to me. Oh, we can't do that... I can however call you and tell you on the phone? Like I said.. WTF?!

Also, their support staff, even team leaders do not know as much as they should. All they do is escalate your problem to the engineers who can't understand the issue either and basically come back with the... Um, it's just you. Really? Is that why everyone else has this same issue? Is that why I can go to an Apple Store and duplicate the same problem on their own hardware on display? Ya, but you're right... it's just me.

One day this way of doing business is going to bite Apple in the ass.

They had no problem admitting to me that their controller was sub-par... And I can personally tell you, that unless you're a large company, with HP enterprise class sales guys, you're not going to get to the engineers either.

I will say, the genius bar associates I had to work with weren't the brightest bunch when it came to RAID technologies. But I would expect a large, large majority of their customers aren't using RAID. The one associate I had to deal with on my 3rd or 4th trip to the Apple store just gave up with "You know more about RAID than I do, what do you want me to write on this ticket?".

Though, the trips to the store were always amusing. I saw no less than 2 dozen people come in with broken iPhones during the 8 or so hours I'd been in the store over the course of 4 visits. That'll be $199 to fix, please.

I don't think Apple's support is going to bite them in the ass. Some of the other stupid things they're doing, yes. Support? No way.

You said in an earlier post they had you swap the card out 2-3 times, that's not so great service.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

When dealing it any support I take the position that you can attract more flies with honey than poop.
--

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to not

Apple support going down hill based on this customer satisfaction report:
»allthingsd.com/20121227/apple-fa···-survey/
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

That looks to be ONLINE RETAIL sales survey, not support and apparently not even brick and mortar stores....just stuff bought from Apple daut kaum.
--

SteveJobs

join:2012-07-18
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to not

I will send a memo to all of my employees to tell them to take care of everyone's issues.

But seriously, Apples support is the best out there, way better then any other tech company's.

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL

said by SteveJobs:

I will send a memo to all of my employees to tell them to take care of everyone's issues.

But seriously, Apples support is the best out there, way better then any other tech company's.

SteveJobs See Profile, thank you so much! I took my son's mid 2010 MacBook in to the Lincoln Park Apple Store today, because the bottom rubber was peeling off and a screw in the bottom case had come loose and gotten lost. One month out of warranty, I was expecting to get a new screw put in and maybe some advice on how best to restick the rubber.

The genius (Matt) looked at it and said that there was a warranty replacement for this issue. All new bottom case, free of charge. I said great, do we have to leave it? He checked something and said he could do it then. He disappeared into the bowels of the store and came back about 10 minutes later. As I’m signing the $0 bill, he asks if I had noticed the hairline cracks on the top case near the hinge. I hadn’t (not my machine and it wasn’t that obvious). I asked my son if he had noticed and he just looked kind of sheepish. (Ah.)

So Matt says there’s another issue he knows about and he would be happy to replace the top case (and screen), also for free. He apologized, but said he could not do that one right away. It would be 3-5 days. He said we could leave it then, or bring it back another day, if that was more convenient. My son said to just do it.

We went out to lunch and then went home. About 45 minutes after we got home, I got a call from the Apple store. The laptop was ready to be picked up!

We went to get it. Some other guy went to get it and starts poking on his iPad and says that will be $265.14. I pointed out to him on the work order where Matt had written:

Proposed Resolution: - replace display module
this repair should be discounted 100% at the time of pickup, no cost to customer, reference article for MacBook Crack on Rear Display Bezel - EM297

And he flagged down a manager who said OK.

First fix was noted as “Warranty Status: Quality Program(E1)” with a price of $112.86 and an amount due of $0. I think that was pretty standard.

The second fix was noted as Warranty Status: Out of Warranty(OW) with a price of $265.14 and an amount due of $265.14. Matt told me he had to write it up that way, but I would be paying zip. I think this was discretionary.

So tonight my son is enjoying a 13 month old laptop that is 100% new on the outside. It’s his birthday tomorrow. Thank you, Apple!

p.s. According to Matt, the issues with the bottom case may reoccur. He said they will continue to replace this, if necessary, for free, until 5 years from the date of purchase! We’ll see about that. Hopefully, we won’t have to ever find out.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

Great story LunarPlexus. I find it refreashing every now and again to hear something positive about anything ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...