kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits
reply to not quite right

Re: Spec'ing out an iMac for my brother

I just get tired of paying to return to Newegg or Amazon. Any savings is lost with having to return items and wait for replacements to find they don't work either. I'd rather pay a bit more up front and get it done right the first time.

I just went through this with my new iMac and its 32GB of RAM. I'd love to pay $160+tax for RAM instead of $220 shipped but with my experience, I never get the cheap RAM running reliably. Even if it posts and seems okay I find later on kernel panics or other random issues. Then have to deal with returns or RMAs during which my machine is down. Or simply eat the old RAM because I am beyond a short return window and spend the $220 anyway. I'd rather pay $45 bucks more (since Newegg and Amazon both charge tax in California now) now and get something I know will work and if I ever do have a problem know I'll have no trouble getting an immediate replacement. The potential savings simply isn't worth the hassle.

not

@comcast.net

said by skeechan:

I just get tired of paying to return to Newegg or Amazon. Any savings is lost with having to return items and wait for replacements to find they don't work either. I'd rather pay a bit more up front and get it done right the first time.

I just went through this with my new iMac and its 32GB of RAM. I'd love to pay $160+tax for RAM instead of $220 shipped but with my experience, I never get the cheap RAM running reliably. Even if it posts and seems okay I find later on kernel panics or other random issues. Then have to deal with returns or RMAs during which my machine is down. Or simply eat the old RAM because I am beyond a short return window and spend the $220 anyway. I'd rather pay $45 bucks more (since Newegg and Amazon both charge tax in California now) now and get something I know will work and if I ever do have a problem know I'll have no trouble getting an immediate replacement. The potential savings simply isn't worth the hassle.

Never paid for return shipping from Amazon. Call them up or better yet, request a return online and you get a preprinted return label. As for Newegg, buy what you read works in a particular machine. That's what the reviews are for. The biggest issues with memory in Macs are timing and voltage... but mostly timing. Probably the worse memory I've ever had bad experiences with was OCZ years ago, which is ironic because OCZ is supposed to be really good memory. Since they, I haven't trusted any of their stuff, SSD included.

Considering Apple charges an arm and a leg for cheap ass Hynix memory, I'd never buy an upgrade from them. But hey, we all have our prefs and opinions.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by not :

Considering Apple charges an arm and a leg for cheap ass Hynix memory, I'd never buy an upgrade from them. But hey, we all have our prefs and opinions.

Ya cheap ass Hynix only your second largest memory manufacture in the world, only behind Samsung (who Apple uses as well).
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Cody

I have had no issues really with Gskill in my intel based Windows machine. 32gb of it and I can push the RAM hard with the program Blender and fluid sims.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 edit

Who fabs the chips for GSkill? I never knew who made the Corsairs I used, they were silkscreened Corsair.

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by skeechan:

Who fabs the chips for GSkill? I never knew who made the Corsairs I used, they were silkscreened Corsair.

Usually Hynix or Elpida, maybe Micron. Hence my comment. Keep in mind Samsung & Hynix manufactures memory while Corsair purchases memory from a supplier, dresses it up and rebrands it.
I'm not saying that makes it worse in any way, just food for thought.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Seems Macs like very particular timings and need SPD tables that are accurate and complete. Perhaps not all sticks are such.

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

When I got my memory from Fry's, I had went to OWC (I feel kinda bad for doing this) and used their information on timing, voltage, ECC, and such. Then matched it to the Patriot memory on Sale at Fry's. I ended up with 16GB's for $65 vs $120 at OWC. I do feel bad for kinda using OWC's services without making a purchase (like using the bathroom at gas station without buying anything), but almost 50% off was too much of a discount for me to pass up. The memory has passed Mem test without fail, and has worked flawlessly for two months now.
--

not

@comcast.net
reply to not quite right

said by not quite right:

Ya cheap ass Hynix only your second largest memory manufacture in the world, only behind Samsung (who Apple uses as well).

It's crap in my book. Had several modules of it be junk on arrival or fail after some time. I don't care how big they are... if you've got a bad rep with me, it's a bad rep, period.

Years ago, IBM/Lenovo screwed me over on a server several times with a client. I no longer trust their hardware for ANYONE. So, as you can see, it's not just memory.... if you make my sh*t list, it's very hard to come off it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to not quite right

Fry's has started to suck like Woot. I long for the Charlie Chip days of the mid-late 90's when the Fry-day ad was something to behold and Memorial Day was epic.

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to not

said by not :

said by not quite right:

It's crap in my book. Had several modules of it be junk on arrival or fail after some time. I don't care how big they are... if you've got a bad rep with me, it's a bad rep, period.

Years ago, IBM/Lenovo screwed me over on a server several times with a client. I no longer trust their hardware for ANYONE. So, as you can see, it's not just memory.... if you make my sh*t list, it's very hard to come off it.

So?
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

1 recommendation

»Re: [rant] Apple Support Sucks

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Cody

Someone will need to explain the big deal about Frys, are they like a bigger CompUSA or more like a Circuit City? As I do not think they exist outside the Southwest.(never seen one here in Jersey or in Connecticut.)
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

Click for full size
Fry's used to be what Newegg and other heavy discounters are today. 1990's Fry's would be like having a Newegg retail chain.

They operate in large warehouses each with its own theme (store decorations) like the Roman Empire, NASA and others. In the 1990's Fry's had almost daily sales (full page newspaper ads came out M, W, F, Sat, Sun) all with great prices. The Friday ads were the biggies, about 8 full newspaper pages of ads. They also had holiday sales that were awesome like 4th of July or Memorial Day. I say "had" even though these ads are still frequent but these days the deals are typically feh. Fry's is nothing to celebrate any more. Used to be every week there were insane deals, now out of every ad with possibly 30-200 items, 1 or 2 may be great deals.

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

Someone will need to explain the big deal about Frys, are they like a bigger CompUSA or more like a Circuit City? As I do not think they exist outside the Southwest.(never seen one here in Jersey or in Connecticut.)

Frys is like CompUSA, circuit city, best buy, and radio shack in one store (about the size of Costco). skeechan is correct about the killer sales not being as plentiful as at one time, they still are a good brick and mortar that you can walk into and get just about anything electronic.
--

BuckarooB
Beware Lectroids from PlanetX
Premium
join:2001-10-27
Cloverdale, VA
Reviews:
·Ntelos
reply to Cody

visited my first Fry's a couple years ago, when I was working in the Bay area... I was just amazed at all the stuff they have in there... spent an entire afternoon just browsing... was disappointed they didn't carry any GoPro gear as I was in need of a new battery for my HeroHD camera at that time.
--
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!!"

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Cody

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
So, as an update to this: It came in the mail last week, got it up and running and transferred files from the Windows machine. That thing looks incredible!

I promised myself if I got into pharmacy school I'd replace my still-running-but-has-a-funky-smell-when-it-heats-up 1st gen Macbook. I have a powerful Win7/8 desktop that I use when I want multi monitors or gaming (which, unfortunately, means my video card is currently going to waste), so I'm looking for something to take my MB's place. Currently looking at the MBA in the third picture. It looks like a slightly higher resolution than the MBP, and since I have my desktop to fall back on, haven't used the optical drive on my MB in years, and want SSD I'm leaning toward this. Time to go to the Apple store and play with them and see which I like better first hand! I only have experience with the 2010 13" MBP and a recent 11" MBA which was too small for what I want it to do. Thanks again for all the suggestions/considerations.
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

said by Cody:

...I'd replace my still-running-but-has-a-funky-smell-when-it-heats-up 1st gen Macbook.

I had to part with my G3-900 iBook because the keyboards end up smelling like B.O.. Something about the adhesive or something.

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
Spokane, WA

That's exactly what it smells like haha... Good to know it's not just me.
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Cody

If you are in class for long hours you may want to get a regular 13" MacBook Pro. My 11" MBA's battery life leaves a lot to be desired at about 4 hours, less if I'm running Parallels. My rMBP goes 6-7 and my old 13" C2D 2.26GHz MBP with an SSD would do 7+ no problem.

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
Spokane, WA

I'm looking at the 13" MBA, which supposedly adds ~30% to the battery life. Good call, though!
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to skeechan

They had better not come to south jersey. I like having money. =)
--

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Kearnstd:

They had better not come to south jersey. I like having money. =)

Haha... There's one just south of Seattle that I go to occasionally. I'm buying a TV soon (holding out for pre-SB deals) and didn't even think to check Fry's!
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH