share rss forum feed

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

Best freeware disc to disc copying program? (no imaging)

Can anyone recommend the best freeware disc burning software that does a straight disc to disc copy?

No disc images / ISO's but straight up the original disc in one drive and a blank disc in the other, hit burn, and the original disc is burned directly onto the blank disc.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2

2 recommendations

Maybe you can find what you're looking for here:

»Software Forum Member Choice »Preferred CD Creation Software -2011 Member Choice

urbanriot
Premium
Canada

Most of those are not free and most of those don't do what I'm looking for but I appreciate the suggestion. I used to have a great app to do it but I kind of stopped burning for a while and my memory is faulty...

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16
reply to urbanriot

Would this be what you are looking for?
»www.imgburn.com/

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21

1 edit
reply to urbanriot

BurnAware
»www.burnaware.com/index.html

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to MarkAW

said by MarkAW:

Would this be what you are looking for? (imgburn)

No, as per above I'm looking for "No disc images / ISO's but straight up the original disc in one drive and a blank disc in the other, hit burn, and the original disc is burned directly onto the blank disc."

Again, [disc to disc] not [disc to image, image to disc].

said by hayc59:

BurnAware 5.5 Released

Not free, the $29.95 version is what has the "Direct disc to disc copying". But so far, good suggestion for a paid program to do it, thanks!

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
David R.I.P.
reply to urbanriot

Your very welcome

urbanriot
Premium
Canada

(still open for free alternatives though )

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
David R.I.P.
reply to urbanriot

Never have used this but have heard a few good thangs
Astroburn Lite.??
»www.astroburn.com/products/abLite

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to urbanriot

cdburnerxp might work for you. It does more than simple disc copying. However, it may also copy disc to disc. Check it out and see to be sure.

One of the older versions might work well for you.

Newer versions may contain unwanted advertising software. Check that if you don't want unwanted adware bundled with the program.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDBurnerXP

Available for download at filehippo:

»www.filehippo.com/download_cdburnerxp/

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
kudos:1
reply to urbanriot

Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 Free
»www.pcworld.com/article/231987/a···ree.html

"As for the tasks you can accomplish, they're many. Copy entire discs, burn movies to a CD/DVD/BD Disc, create Video CDs, create .ISO images from a CD or DVD, create a CD or DVD from an .ISO images...you'll find all that and more. It's a surprisingly long list for a free program to offer."

This should do what you want and it's free. Just watch out for the optional toolbar during the install.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

I'm looking for "No disc images / ISO's but straight up the original disc in one drive and a blank disc in the other, hit burn, and the original disc is burned directly onto the blank disc."

suggestion for a paid program to do it, thanks!

You do know that disc to disc burning using two drives still creates a hidden temporary disc image (ISO) on the hard drive to prevent buffering errors, right? It just hides the fact from you. Now some programs allow you to turn that hidden caching off, but you may find data buffer under-runs if your system or drives can't keep up.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
David R.I.P.

said by Doctor Olds:

said by urbanriot:

I'm looking for "No disc images / ISO's but straight up the original disc in one drive and a blank disc in the other, hit burn, and the original disc is burned directly onto the blank disc."

suggestion for a paid program to do it, thanks!

You do know that disc to disc burning using two drives still creates a hidden temporary disc image (ISO) on the hard drive to prevent buffering errors, right? It just hides the fact from you. Now some programs allow you to turn that hidden caching off, but you may find data buffer under-runs if your system or drives can't keep up.

Doc that is real good info and thank you!!
--
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêD
Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
9/11/01 Never Forget
(H59 Clan)

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to urbanriot

What are you trying to copy?
Digital Audio or Data?

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
reply to urbanriot

Copy protected, or encrypted ?

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ

said by mmainprize:

Aren't they the same thing?

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

They may have similarities but there has been many types of copy protection over the years. There is also basic disk encryption which is not the same as copy protected DVD's.

The point being we don't know what he is looking for, is he trying to copy floppies ?

There are programs that will copy disks, but when it comes to the latest copy protected DVD, most of the good one are pay software and get updated quickly.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to mmainprize

said by mmainprize:

The purpose is not to circumvent copy protection but to have a disc with data on one drive to be burned onto a blank disc in the other, directly 1:1 without ISOs. If there are controls in place to inhibit copying, I expect that to disrupt the process (but if it bypasses, that's an unexpected bonus).

Back when they were new and I had only Plextor drives, Plextor had a software package that would do this very well. I'm looking for something along those lines...

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ

Did you look at the free Ashampoo program I posted about above? It should do what you want. At least I think it does.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by Steely:

Did you look at the free Ashampoo program I posted about above? It should do what you want. At least I think it does.

They took down that version since the site you link referred to it (more than a year ago) and it's no longer listed on their free software list - »www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/fdl

I also don't see that the paid version does disc to disc without using images.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to urbanriot

I can't believe what a difficult request this is to fulfill.
I tried... and it's very difficult to find exactly what you're asking for. The best I can find is free-to-try software. And I don't even know if it will do what you're asking. Can't find it to be 100% free, and I haven't tested it. Seems once you BUY it if you end up liking it... there are free lifetime upgrades. They are separate modules.

Audio CD Copier - Copy any Audio CD Fast!
The Audio CD Copier is an easy to use one click solution for copying any Audio CD. It is very fast and installs in about 5 seconds. Just insert a CD and click the copy button for a quick no hassle Audio CD Copy.

System Requirements - Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/Vista/ 7

Cheetah CD Burner - Burn Audio, Data, and ISO CDs... Fast!
The Cheetah CD Burner is an easy to use program for burning CD-R and CD-RW discs. It can also Burn Bootable CDs, ISO files, and Audio CDs from AVI, WMA, and WAV files. Supports DAO and TAO burning modes for all disc types.

System Requirements - Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/Vista/ 7

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to urbanriot

Click for full size
Check the box for a direct drive-to-drive copy
said by urbanriot:

They took down that version since the site you link referred to it (more than a year ago) and it's no longer listed on their free software list - »www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/fdl

You just didn't look hard enough: »www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0710···Studio-6

I posted a screenshot from a different version of the software but it should work exactly the same way. "Copy on the fly" will eliminate any intermediate .iso file or other temporary storage as far as I know. Isn't that what you're requesting?

EDIT:
»majorgeeks.com/Ashampoo_Burning_···937.html
»download.cnet.com/Ashampoo-Burni···287.html (I'd avoid CNET)
»www.tucows.com/download.html?sof···9153&t=2

urbanriot
Premium
Canada

You are correct! You win the unique prize of My Gratitude and I appreciate the direct links, thank you!

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ

Thank you. Just trying to help. Watch out for those toolbars!

emead
4q2
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-04
Danbury, CT
reply to urbanriot

»[Free] Ashampoo Burning Studio 2013
--
I gave up searching for the Truth, Now I'm looking for a good Fantasy!

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

said by Steely:

I also don't see that the paid version does disc to disc without using images.

Free and does what you want.

»store.downloadcrew.com/p27200-as···dio_2012
--
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. (Hmm)
I have enemies? Good. That means I've stood up for something, sometime in my life.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

3 edits

1 recommendation

That's a USER FIND HOT DEALS right there. Thanks for sharing this MarkAW See Profile!

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to emead

Ahh now I see, they released a free Christmas download just in time for my thread! Awesome, thanks, I figured you and MarkAW were just linking the same thing Steely already linked...

paulace

@virginmedia.com

1 edit
reply to MarkAW

Thanks very much for the Ashampoo link - it was exactly what I was after. For years and years I've been using Nero, Roxio, WinOnCD, DiskJuggler (remember them) and a few others, but have been out of the disc to disc on the fly game for a while, so to get this for nowt and a free full legal copy too was perfect timing!

Happy New Year to you!

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to urbanriot

Just to update on this topic, requesting that free Ashampoo key resulted in getting spammed continually by the Ashampoo company, a few times they spammed more than once a day... !

And they don't include a link at the bottom of their emails to unsubscribe.

Based on that annoying experience, I do not recommend the Ashampoo products. I hate spam.

Also an update, I since rediscovered what I used to use back in the day which made me think this software was more available. I re-installed my Plextor DVD+/-RW drive and installed the associated software and boom, back to disc to disc.