All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Squiddy
@pnap.net

Squiddy to leibold

Anon

to leibold

Re: Bandwidth shaping only on port 80. Penalize heavy http.

True, if we're talking TCP 80 only Squid with a delay_pool in transparent mode with the appropriate iptables redirect rule in the nat table would work great without needing to use QoS and explicit proxy configs on the client.
maxtor
join:2012-12-21

maxtor

HI Squiddy,

Thanks for pointing that out.
Yes, I could have gone via the squid way, but my users are too noob or non tech to add proxy to their browsers and again take it off when they go back home. Though thats not impossible to implement but too many people and rearrangement of network involved. If it could be done without disturbing the existing setup ? That's why I said something similar to netequalizer or arbitrator.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

said by maxtor:

Yes, I could have gone via the squid way, but my users are too noob or non tech to add proxy to their browsers and again take it off when they go back home.

You missed an important part of Squiddy's solution. Instead of configuring each users browser he suggests to create a transparent proxy by intercepting the port 80 web traffic in the Linux firewall of the gateway server and redirecting it through squid.

His solution has a number of benefits for your situation:
- adding squid is reducing bandwidth usage by serving popular content from its cache instead of fetching it repeatedly from the Internet.
- no client (workstation) side configuration changes (that could be subverted by knowledgeable users).
- using application specific (http traffic) delay_pool in squid allows finer control over bandwidth usage then qos at the network transport layer (and it appeared as if you didn't want to use qos anyway).
- all needed software is included with most Linux distributions so there is no need to hunt for additional software.

Regarding squid delay pools: HOWTO .

Regarding squid as transparent proxy: HOWTO .

You can find many more examples if you google the subject.

Squiddy
@pnap.net

Squiddy

Anon

Exactly, this is exactly what I do on my home network. Transparent mode is very useful since it is, as the name implies, completely transparent to the clients. Squid caching is amazing and tremendously increases the speed of the network as well as errata update downloads.