Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

[CenturyTel] Advance tech support? Hah!

I am still trying to figure out why CL insists I have POTS?

BF:Before FIOS I could call Life Line, talk and receive a voice reply on my device. Now I can not. CL tech says I can receive it; my device provider says not. For $100/mo. all I can do is send a SOS and pray.

BF: I rarely had to touch the modem even in a storm. Now I reboot my system on a regular basis.

BF: I had a reliable phone I could depend on when I signed up. Not so now. There is a delay of up to 15 seconds before a connection is made. The phone call may last less than 30 seconds. I have to reconnect 3-5 time to finish the initial call. Sometimes I can only call long distance and not locally. It acts exactly like the VoIP phones I had with Vonage and cable; there is not a nickels worth of difference in reliability.

BF: We just had our first snow storm with high winds and galloping wires. No net; no phone. I did not lose electricity or a cell signal which is amazing since I live rural.

I have not had a POTS failure in over 40 years. I can't keep the phone up and running. Best guess it is bandwidth as that was the problem with my cable VoIP.

I would like to have someone who actually work for this company explain to me exactly what I am buying... 'cause it sure ain't POTS.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

b2r4l

join:2002-02-27
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

When you say FIOS, do you mean CenturyLink VDSL service or are you explicitly referring to Verizon FIOS?

Please answer some of these questions and try the suggested troubleshooting?

Do you have problems consistently placing/receiving (specify which or both) calls on one phone, some phones, all phones, or is it inconsistent on all devices?

..If it's just one phone...
- Try moving the problematic phone to another known working jack. Does the issue follow it?
- If so, try to use a different RJ-45 cable to connect the phone to the phone jack if you didn't change it initially.
- If that doesn't work it's something with the phone / base station certainly.
* Note : You can further confirm/isolate your findings by taking the working phone to the jack of the phone which was having issues initially and see if the problem occurs. If so, then it's an issue at the jack most likely or wiring to the point up to it.

..If it's some phones...
- Perhaps the phones having the issue share the same base station. (Single wall jack connection/single point of failure.)
- It could possibly be wiring inside the house. Test all jacks with a known working phone to isolate the bad jacks.
* Note : If you narrow it down to specific jacks, you'll require your own provided tech to repair the inside wiring or call CL to see what they'd charge or if you have a maintenance plan option which might cover it.

..If it's all phones...
- It could be because you share a single base station for all phones which has:
...... A bad RJ-45 cable from the base station to the phone jack, or
...... A bad base station\phone(s)

- Faulty inside wiring (within the house) / phone jack(s)

- A possible issue where there are two incoming phone lines (Say, one for POTS and one for VDSL) which are being shared across the phone line (network) of the house and clashing. This would be isolated after having CL tech's come out once you verified that all mentioned troubleshooting plus what they may add to it has been performed. Also, if it occured after upgrading service or switching service, you may want to verify your old CLEC (old phone co/telco) has disconnected the line from their box to the houses wiring for the phone line.

- To eliminate faulty jacks as the issue:
...... If you have multiple phones connected to multiple jacks, try disconnecting all but one phone and see if the issues persist.
...... If so, try taking that same phone to a different jack while leaving all other phone jacks disconnected. At this point you've narrowed it down to either that phone or a wiring issue in the house.
...... Test a known working phone through multiple phone jacks and see if the issue goes away. If it persists, then it's wiring at the jack or within the house most likely.

* Note : This will require a tech to confirm if this is the issue, and if it's not, CL would send another line technician out to check the line up to the outside of the house if the premises tech can't perform that testing.

* Also Note : You would have to know the phone you're using to test the jacks is a known working phone for any of this to prove useful.

..If it's inconsistent on all devices..
- Unless you're an electrician or fairly tech savvy, you're going to struggle isolating the problem without having a tech out. If this is the case, you will need to log details of what's going on for the techs to review when they come out, or you call in.

Good luck in your testing. Let us know what comes of it.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

No VZN! The CL phone service has been horrid since POTS was discontinued. They say the CO is FIOS; no POTS.

...The copper lines to the house were replaced 5 years ago because the internet would not work.
...Recently the company checked all the lines between the CO and my house (8 blocks) due to reboot issues. No line issues. Modem was replaced.
...All of my phone lines have filters.
...My portable phones are new. The filters are new. The lines from the jacks to all the phones are new.

When the equipment works it is beautiful. When it is doesn't it is a swiss cheese mess

*I am hearing and vision impaired.*

* I have one phone line and two jacks. 1 base unit/3 handsets, and 1 wired unit. There is no difference between one jack and the other.

*I have one modem. My Mac computers are wireless; two are online.

I do not know which is more annoying: the phone that need to be coddled, or the internet that needs to be bottle fed?

--

Expand your moderator at work

b2r4l

join:2002-02-27
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to linicx

Re: [CenturyTel] Advance tech support? Hah!

Yeah. AT&T also is another provider which doesn't revert it's customers back to POTS after going to their FIOS equivalent. It's not a matter of physical inability, but their procedures in place to phase out POTS most likely.

Although you replaced the copper in your house, it still is possible that it is wiring. Please re-read my post and try to answer my questions more directly if you want direct instructions, otherwise just follow the suggestions which match up to the issue you're experiencing and let us know how it works.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

I've done the tests. I kept records for CL tech support and phone support that were ignored. I do not not have electrical wiring issues.

It is always the same canned 15 year old answer. "Every thing is fine on our end. Reboot."

Wiring was solved with an electrician, a new electric panel and more breakers. At the same time I replaced all aging mechanical units such as furnace with new. All electrical wiring was checked from attic to basement and at every outlet and switch. The phone guy and I did the jack tests. He couldn't find anything wrong. I don't think you can find it when the phone IS working.

Maybe it is wiring? Maybe it is a surge? Maybe it's in the CO? They replaced cards before to keep me connected. Maybe it is faulty equipment? Or faulty software? Or a handshake? Or a card or old router in the rack?

I've replaced 8 routers in four years. Maybe it is a cap or traffic shaping? Maybe it is the weather? I've had the same kind of VoIP problems when I had the cable phone. There was not enough bandwidth. If I wanted it to emulate POTS and have a stable I had to buy a business line.

I live in a very isolated rural area. I need a phone that is dependable.

This problem is leaving here just fine. I am not going to buy a business line. If the phone was one line and the computer on another maybe it would make a difference. Maybe the problem would be isolated? And maybe not. My home is a Faraday's Cage on US Highway surrounded by high voltage wires. I'm behind high-priced surge protectors. I haven' seen but one brown out in over 5 years.

The phone wiring is 60 years old. I pay for inside wiring coverage. It should be no problem for CL to fish in new lines. That would eliminate one possibility. Maybe.
--

Expand your moderator at work