how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Walter Dnes

join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Long-lasting lights and/or light bulbs?

My "computer room" is actually a spare bedroom. I go in+out a few times a day. In the evenings and at night, I flip the lights on/off as I enter/leave. Light bulbs (standard tungsten) seem to die on me every few months. Another one died on me tonight, and I'm getting rather annoyed. It is not fun...
•dragging the stepladder out of the closet
•climbing up the ladder
•unscrewing the cover
•climbing down with the cover
•climbing back up with a new bulb and screwing it in
•climbing down with the old bulb
•climbing back up with the cover and screwing it on
•climbing down
•stowing the ladder away

Are there light bulbs that can stand a lot of on-and-off switching? Or should I be looking at a desk lamp of some sort?

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

how about the new LED style bulbs?...i see they have a ton of different styles at Costco now...CFLs maybe (they are cheaper)?

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Walter Dnes

Some say that compact fluorescent (CFL) don't tolerate many on/off cycles per day, but I use them in the bathrooms and they last for years. Last month I pulled out a dead bulb that has been in several different fixtures in different homes!

Just make sure you get the right color temperature. 2700K warm white is similar to tungsten while 4100K is bright white and is more like what you'd find in an office building.

One thing that is sure to kill CFL is putting one in an unventilated fixture. They need to dump the heat to save the electronics inside.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to Walter Dnes

I think an LED would be really well suited to this application. Very tolerant of on/off cycles, not sensitive to being covered and heat issues compared to CFL's, and basically an infinite life span.
I've installed 4 of these in recessed lighting fixtures in my house at the top of the stairwell where it's VERY hard to get to change them - so far - they have the wife seal of approval.
»www.homedepot.ca/product/6w-a19-···b/952872

vintagewino

join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Walter Dnes

I would go for the LED style lamps.

Forget the CF bulbs. Like standard fluorescent tubes, they will live a very, very long time if turned on and left on. The on/off cycling knocks a fluorescent lamp's life down the dumper, and CF's seem to be even worse.

Some of the new LED lamps are sporting far longer longevity than any of the CF's advertised, are not prone to shortened life like the CF's are, and far more respectable lm/watt than even even 18 months earlier, rivaling, if not surpassing CF's.

The downer - they're more expensive than CF's.

Just watch the colour temperature, as well, as stated earlier.

Bob Anderson

join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Walter Dnes

I have been using CFL's for years, at least 10. I have used many brands and without a doubt Philips are the longest lasting. Indoors or outdoors they last a few years no matter how many times they are switched on and off. I like the Philips Daylight, 6400K which is a pure white light, not yellowish like incandescents. Even your tungsten bulbs should last more than a few months switched off and on. Don't buy discount crap house brands. On this forum and some others I have posted the same advice many times and I don't understand why so many people have such short life expectancies with incandescents or CFL's. It may be because all bulbs must be properly ventilated. I do not use any enclosed fixtures, only open cloth shades for lamps and open glass fixtures for ceiling and outdoors. Currently I have 6 CFL lamps in cloth shades and 4 CFL's in overhead open glass fixtures and I can't remember when I last had a burn out, at least three years.

-Bob

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Walter Dnes

First of all, why the hell are you still using tungsten bulbs?

Secondly, +1 for LED bulbs. Most expensive but best option.

Otherwise, what's wrong with using compact fluorescent? They're cheap as dirt and last easily two or three times longer than tungsten.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Walter Dnes

said by Walter Dnes:

Are there light bulbs that can stand a lot of on-and-off switching? Or should I be looking at a desk lamp of some sort?

Switch to LED bulbs. I like either the 400 or 800 lumen Phillips you can get at Home Depot.

Plan B might be to purchase the Rough Service or Rural type of incandescent (usually 50% more than a standard incandescent). These have a thicker filament and are designed to take more heat and voltage fluctuations than standard bulbs.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Walter Dnes

My wife hates, hates, hates CFL. I have snuck them in a few places, but she does not like them, even warm colour temperature ones. She says she see the flicker and it bothers her. I have them in the chandelier (5 lights) in the kitchen and she never turns it on, she always uses the halogen pot lights instead.

I have been meaning to try out the LEDs but have not yet.

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Walter Dnes

I tend to not like CFLs because of the time it takes them to get to
full lumen output. I have quite a few LED lights now. Like everything
about them except 1 thing. I think I have mentioned here over the
years I am still a shortwave radio nut. Have been for about 50 years.

Some LED lights emit a ton of radio frequency noise. CFLs do also on
a smaller scale. As a rule of thumb the smaller the LED light the
worse they are. I spent $90 on 6 LED GU10 for the kitchen and these
things are like transmitters! I'm amazed they got through CSA
testing! I have 2 differenet brands...both are noise factories!

At the same time I have A19 (the "normal" shape) bulbs in 2
bathrooms and they can't be heard on the radios.

FaxCap

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
reply to Walter Dnes

Something does not seem right here. Bulbs should not burn out in a few months.
How long do your other bulbs last?
Are there kids running in a hallway above that room?

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to FaxCap

said by FaxCap:

full lumen output. I have quite a few LED lights now. Like everything
about them except 1 thing. I think I have mentioned here over the
years I am still a shortwave radio nut. Have been for about 50 years.

Some LED lights emit a ton of radio frequency noise. CFLs do also on
a smaller scale. As a rule of thumb the smaller the LED light the
worse they are. I spent $90 on 6 LED GU10 for the kitchen and these
things are like transmitters! I'm amazed they got through CSA
testing! I have 2 differenet brands...both are noise factories!

At the same time I have A19 (the "normal" shape) bulbs in 2
bathrooms and they can't be heard on the radios.

FaxCap

Related to that, I saw some radio guys talking about how LED traffic lights cause interference with AM radio and even FM.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by donoreo:

Related to that, I saw some radio guys talking about how LED traffic lights cause interference with AM radio and even FM.

I've never heard LED interference on any FM radios here and that
includes scanners working bands a long way from the 88mhz to
108mhz FM radio band.

My lady has a cheapo am clock radio in her bathroom....I can
completely wipe out reception by turning on the kitchen LED lights.

FaxCap

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

how about the new LED style bulbs?...i see they have a ton of different styles at Costco now...CFLs maybe (they are cheaper)?

But LEDs are still pretty expensive.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to FaxCap

said by FaxCap:

full lumen output.

geez...that was true 5 years ago...the new ones power up right away...that was a safety concern for people who used CFL bulbs in fixtures located on areas like "stairways"...they would flick the switch and start walking, only to take the first step or two in complete darkness...the new ones are "instant on" though.

Costco has a large selection of CFL and LED lights...like CFLs when they were new, LED bulbs are more money, but they will come down in price...the LED bulb shown in the home depot link was $25...the LED bulbs at Costco were about $20 (or less) and seem to offer better specs (6.9W, 40,000 hour life, etc)...if you get an LED bulb, be sure to get the right style...some have a flush edge on them, meant for use in fixtures that face "down", while others will have that opaque dome for use in fixtures like a lamp where you want to shine light outwards in all directions.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by dirtyjeffer:

geez...that was true 5 years ago...the new ones power up right away

Only at room temperature. When it's cold they take a bit longer, and some of the full-spectrum 6500K lights take a while to warm up no matter what the temperature.

I hate LED lights for for full room lighting. I have some in my sons room, and the colour reproduction when lit using them is garbage. I simply *cannot* see his blue soother when it falls on the floor when the LEDs are on and need to turn on the overhead lights - a CFL - to see it. I've noticed this same thing anywhere I've gone that uses LEDs for street lighting, and there's a lot of LED street lighting in the Niagara Region. It's annoying.

I still use CFLs - 2700K for most places, and 6500K for the bathroom and my office as it approximates sunlight. When LEDs manage to handle colour reproduction better, than I might buy into them, but not now.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

i can't comment on the lighting properties of the LED lights as i haven't seen one yet (in use)...but like everything, they are new and are likely to improve (and get cheaper)...the CFLs i use turn on right away (indoor and outdoor), but when it is cold out, it does take about 30 seconds for them to get to full brightness...not a big deal really...the main problem in the older ones is they wouldn't turn on at all for about 1.5 seconds...it might not seem like a big deal, but if you are used to flicking a switch and start walking down the stairs, that 1.5 seconds means you are going down the stairs blind for a bit.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to Walter Dnes

Sylvania does have a line of double life bulbs which might work, the filament is supported differently and more robust so they tend to last longer. Also if this room is on a dimmer these types of bulbs don't hum as much when the lights are low.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to MacGyver

said by MacGyver:

Some say that compact fluorescent (CFL) don't tolerate many on/off cycles per day, but I use them in the bathrooms and they last for years.

I have Philips here and they last about 6 or so months in every room of my house. I would say the new bulbs last maybe 30% longer than the old style bulbs.

said by MacGyver:

Just make sure you get the right color temperature. 2700K warm white is similar to tungsten while 4100K is bright white and is more like what you'd find in an office building.

What I'd like to find is decent full spectrum light bulbs in Canada. I hate the hue of my rooms after switching to CFL's.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by urbanriot:

What I'd like to find is decent full spectrum light bulbs in Canada. I hate the hue of my rooms after switching to CFL's.

Here are some choices on amazon.com in Canada:
»www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/1···spectrum

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

the CFLs i use turn on right away (indoor and outdoor), but when it is cold out, it does take about 30 seconds for them to get to full brightness...not a big deal really...the main problem in the older ones is they wouldn't turn on at all for about 1.5 seconds

I bought a 4 pack of GE A19 CFLs not 6 months ago at CanTire. Even
indoors they take 15-20 seconds to produce full output.

I have some Sylvania 13w "twister" CFLs that come on pretty well instantly.

FaxCap

Walter Dnes

Thornhill, ON
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

Switch to LED bulbs. I like either the 400 or 800 lumen Phillips you can get at Home Depot.

Plan B might be to purchase the Rough Service or Rural type of incandescent (usually 50% more than a standard incandescent). These have a thicker filament and are designed to take more heat and voltage fluctuations than standard bulbs.

Thanks. There's a Home Depot approx a 15 minute walk down the street from me. I'll drop by on Monday and have a look.

Walter Dnes

Thornhill, ON
reply to Tig

said by Tig:

Something does not seem right here. Bulbs should not burn out in a few months.
How long do your other bulbs last?

The tungstens in the hallway have been going for a over 5 years with only one replacement.

said by Tig:

Are there kids running in a hallway above that room?

Nope. I think I'd know about it if there were. I'm in a condo. The only "unusual" thing I do is that I have only 1 bulb in an overhead unit that accepts 2 bulbs. When 2 are lit up (even 40 watt-ers), it's uncomfortably bright for me.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

I usually buy Philips or GE (can't remember which exactly) "Daylight" 6500K bulbs. You can get them at Walmart or Home Depot. Been using those same bulbs for close to ten years now and have been very pleased with them and now started installing them into display cases at work. They make a huge difference as you get a pure natural white light from them that isn't too yellow and isn't too blue.
Expand your moderator at work

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to urbanriot

Re: Long-lasting lights and/or light bulbs?

said by urbanriot:

i'm surprised you haven't picked up a set of these yet:

»www.meethue.com/en-US
--

- George Orwell

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Walter Dnes

GE sells CFLs in a bulb shaped identically to a normal lightbulb. This is useful, because all other CFLs (and I mean ALL) have a much shorter neck before they flare out for the ballast. The GE CFL bulbs have a frosted glass outer shell shaped the same as a normal bulb, with the ballast and CFL inside the shell.

They don't get as bright on their highest-end model, but they'll fit where no other CFL will.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

i'm surprised you haven't picked up a set of these yet:

»www.meethue.com/en-US

I'd bang my head on those hanging lights... but the colour change idea, that's awesome! Unfortunately the price tag is steeeep, $199 for three bulbs.