spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnD

@sbcglobal.net

what hardware do I need to do this?

I have office A in Building 1. I have office B in Building 2, which is about 100 yards away and not in a "clear line of sight". I cannot run Ethernet cables between the 2 buildings. My server is in office A. Its IP address is 192.168.1.10. I have a PC in office B that I want to set as 192.168.1.11 on the same network.

Office A has a link to a cable modem line in Building 1. Office B has a link to a different cable modem line in Building 2.

I want the PC in office B to be linked to the server in office A, as if they were on the same LAN.

What's the easiest way to achieve this, with not too high of a cost?

Would this be the way to go:

Hook up a VPN router to the switch that office A is connected to. Then, hook up a second VPN router to the switch that office B is connected to. Then, configure them so that the PC in building 2 will be treated as if it's on the LAN of the server in building 1?

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
(IPSEC VPNs use different subnets, so your server might be at 192.168.1.10, but the PC in another building will be on 192.168.2.11)

I use Cisco RV042 routers myself, they do a nice job when given an internet IP on the WAN side, not a private IP address.
»www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9···dex.html

Cheaper is to set up a PC in the same building as your server and VNC or Remote Desktop into it.
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to JohnD
First question is whether office A and office B are using the same ISP or not -- you mention "cable modem," but
that doesn't tell us much.

Second jimbopalmer See Profile's suggestion of VNC or RDP, especially if security is not an issue -- I've said before
that VPN is about secure communications over an insecure medium like the internet; nothing else.

Regards