uniqs
share rss forum feed

rudnicke
Premium
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL
kudos:4

Bath drain plug

I have two bathtubs that, about four years ago, had working tub stops (the mechanical switch that plugs the drain). I'm not really sure what they are called.

They appear to be frozen now. I can move the levers and hear the linkage, but they do not want to close. Can these be greased/oiled to get them working again? I really don't want to rip out a tub to replace something.

Thanks.
--
One Big Ass Mistake America

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Take the lever and cover off of the tub. My guess is that when you remove it, the linkage will come out but there will be no stopper. Although when they break this way they usually break in the closed position. Regardless, if this is indeed the case, you will have to fish out the stopper. Coat hanger usually works and then make repairs to the linkage stopper assembly. No need to rip out the tub in any case as the entire drain assembly can be replaced with the tub installed (that is how it was originally installed) but there should be no reason to have to replace the entire tub drain and overflow assembly.

bbrcat
Help Fight Cancer
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
NH
kudos:3

said by robbin:

Take the lever and cover off of the tub. My guess is that when you remove it, the linkage will come out but there will be no stopper. Although when they break this way they usually break in the closed position. Regardless, if this is indeed the case, you will have to fish out the stopper. Coat hanger usually works and then make repairs to the linkage stopper assembly. No need to rip out the tub in any case as the entire drain assembly can be replaced with the tub installed (that is how it was originally installed) but there should be no reason to have to replace the entire tub drain and overflow assembly.

This happened to me after just 2 years with a new tub.It was so clogged with hair and scum from the family, so clean it good .
--
Team
Discovery

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

reply to rudnicke

In a "worse case" scenario if you can't fish the stopper cylinder out of the chute with the linkage, you might have to have access from below (if crawl space) to unhook the pipe. Hopefully you can just fish the cylinder out if it has detached from the linkage.

I find that the thick hair conditioners my wife uses increase the buildup of hair clogs compared to the old days. So as already recommended, using a non-chemical cleaner like a Zip it (available from your local big box store) to assure things are clear while working on this is a good part of the plan.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
reply to rudnicke

Yes, as mentioned remove the lever and cover, and pull the assembly out. You'll probably find it is very dirty and nasty. Clean it and the opening it all came out of. You'll also see there is adjustment on the linkage assembly. Here's a very good video showing how it all works and some causes for your problem. »www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0···,00.html

rudnicke
Premium
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL
reply to rudnicke

Thanks folks! I'll give it a shot.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to sempergoofy

Those Zip It clog busters are awesome.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by Hahausuck:

Those Zip It clog busters are awesome.

That may depend on the design of the drain and trap ? I never had any luck on my shower drain. I'm not sure what kind of trap it has (I suspect it is something different from a regular P-trap) but mechanical clog removers (like Zip-It) just go down a few inches and then get stuck without entering/following the drain pipe.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

They aren't perfect for everything, just awesome for any place they can get into.

My bath drain has an "X" with a screw hole in the middle of the "X" that holds a debris filter in place. I remove the debris filter but then have to fight the "X" to get the ZipIt down and immediately right turn. But with effort, I get it in there. And then I use it down the linkage shaft, too, that we have been discussing in the thread to snag some more hair if present.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2

1 recommendation

That's how the drains are here. It takes time to work with it.