spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

[Other] Tracfone Wifi Google voice????

I have a LG 840 G with tracfone being my provider. The phone has built in Wifi and I have that set up no problems. The question is this can I or better yet how do I set up the phone to use the Wifi connection and the internet so that I can call people in my house with out using minutes??? I'm just not familiar with Google voice or anything like that, object is I simply want to be able to make out going calls using the internet. Better yet if I could use the internet for out going and incoming calls. No I don't want to port the phone to another service in case that comes up.

Any help or do I just have to wing it??? LOL.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

Vonage has a free app that allows free US calls from your phone when on wifi.
bt06437
join:2001-12-03
Carrollton, TX

bt06437 to Corehhi

to Corehhi
I set up Google voice with its own telephone number. If any calls go to the Google voice number, I have it set up so both my home phone and cell phone numbers both ring.
On outgoing cell phone calls, i get to select weather I want the outgoing call to be made by cell or google.
One uses up cell minutes, the other does not.
Its all stuff you have to install and start using to discover the details & intricacies.

Corehhi
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

I'll check into vonage.

I tried putting the Google phone app on my phone and that didn't work. I think I will get a Google voice account and just fool around with it till I figure it out.

The LG 840 is a good upgrade from my flip phone but it seems putting any useful apps on it won't be easy.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to bt06437

Premium Member

to bt06437
said by bt06437:

On outgoing cell phone calls, i get to select weather I want the outgoing call to be made by cell or google.
One uses up cell minutes, the other does not.

This is incorrect, and frankly dangerous information to give out. Unless you have specifically set up wifi calling through a VoIP app, Google Voice uses minutes when making outgoing calls. It simply masquerades the caller ID number as your Google Voice number and routes it through Google's lines.

Corehhi
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to toby

to toby
said by toby:

If I understand it right you can only call other vonage users who also have the vonage app installed on their phone. »www.vonagemobile.com/app ··· -app.php

Also I doubt I could install that on my phone, my phone isn't an android or Iphone.

Sandman37
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

Sandman37 to Corehhi

Premium Member

to Corehhi
I'm pretty sure that I've heard of people using Groove IP for wifi calling.

Groove IP Lite: »play.google.com/store/ap ··· dmVpcCJd
Groove IP: »play.google.com/store/ap ··· av_other

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Corehhi

Premium Member

to Corehhi
Hate to burst your bubble, but give up on that idea right now with that phone. it is not a smartphone. It is a java based feature phone. No way in hell will you be able to run a full fledged voice over IP client, which is required in what you're talking about. You can run some neat apps, for example, IRC clients. Check out getjar. You can even browse full web pages with Opera Mini, and it compresses the data to your phone, thus lowering your data usage.

Joh gone
@comcast.net

Joh gone to Corehhi

Anon

to Corehhi
simple download talkatone from the Google market it use Google voice just the way you are thinking. All you need for Google voice is sign into your Gmail. then type search for Google voice and sign up it takes a few minutes

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to Corehhi

to Corehhi
said by Corehhi:

said by toby:

If I understand it right you can only call other vonage users who also have the vonage app installed on their phone. »www.vonagemobile.com/app ··· -app.php

Also I doubt I could install that on my phone, my phone isn't an android or Iphone.

Nope, you can call anyone in the US, not just Vonage customers. I use it.

Corehhi
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

Ok holidays are over so I have some time to play around with my phone, I'll post when I get this figured out.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Joh gone

Premium Member

to Joh gone
I looked up that phone and I repeat it is NOT a smartphone. It actually turns out it's a phone my friend had on Net10. Again, there is no market on that phone or any way in hell to run advanced apps along the lines of VoIP. Don't make him waste his time. The spec sheet on this phone is very clear. He can use GV, but it would be via the cell line and still using minutes.

Corehhi
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

Wouldn't surprise me if in the end I can't do much with the phone, I would think Tracfone doesn't want me using Wifi for my calls from home. Any ways it came with with triples minutes and a keyboard that I can use so the phone is an upgrade to my flip phone no matter what.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove to Corehhi

Premium Member

to Corehhi
Nevermind, I thought you had a smartphone with Android but for other who might be interested. I would suggest maybe jumping over to Virgin or Smarttalk and getting an Android phone and doing what I suggest below.

Go download "talkatone" from the google play store.

Then sign into your google voice account. Make sure your calls are being routed to "google talk" it should be listed in settings under phones in the "forward calls to" section. Make sure your tracfone's phone number does not have a check mark next to it, only the "google talk" one should be checked.

Once you have your Google voice configured and signed into Talkatone with your GV info you can then start making calls through VOIP.

I do this all the time with my phone and tablets so I know this works perfectly fine you just need to make sure your devices are setup properly and that your GV account is properly setup.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Not for ICS, in my case. Talkatone worked fine on GB on my phone, but develops 1 fatal flaw on ICS. If you send it to the background or turn off the screen during phone conversation, it freezes then reboots the phone. I believe it to be the more strict stack handling on ICS as no other client has that behavior and it does raise stack faults in logcat logs. Its code needs updating, I'm afraid. GrooveIP is $5 one time and is the best client I tested. All the pluses or Talkatone plus even better voice quality and rock solid program and connection stability. Call me a fan but it made one for working so trouble free on my phone with great performance over both 4G(battery draining during talk but very efficient on standby, one of the most efficient clients I tested) and WiFi(Almost no dent in battery use and more efficient than a cell voice call over my 1-3 bars of 4G) The developer earned a lousy $5 for making something that works that well. He probably deserves more. It's worth it.