Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

Livio Radio

I cannot get radio where I live without an outside antenna; same thing for OTA television. I looked at XM and Sirius and decided against it because of the monthly cost, and the offerings - most of which I didn't listen to anyway. I had special circumstances.

An engineer friend sent me a Livio NPR radio in a wooden case, and a pair of wireless speakers. It is shipped with 16,000 stations worldwide plus 800 NPR stations, and a remote control. It is possible to set five favorites. The directions are easy to understand.

Offerings range from Baroque to the hottest and latest sounds. Electronics are awesome and the wireless speakers allow me to have music in other rooms and even outside on the patio. No fees, no subscriptions, no nothing except music. I listen to Hawaii and New Zealand most of the time.

It may be a solution for those who want choices and good sound quality without any surprises. It works with any computer with a DSL port and Internet.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I really don’t understand the point of these products. With my smartphone and my Big Jambox I can stream just about anything I want wherever I want and with awesome audio quality. I’ve had XM since almost the very beginning, 10 years ago and I will never give it up. Sound quality is not the greatest (I blame the FCC for not allowing more bandwidth for SDARS when the licences where first handed out back in the early 90s), but it’s alright for in the car. At home I stream Sirius XM on my phone, MP3 Player or tablets using the app (which does have which better sound quality) to the Big Jambox or listen via my Home Theater receiver which has Sirius built in and produces some of the best satellite radio sound quality I’ve ever heard despite the low bit rate it broadcasts in. I have Pandora and Slacker on my phone, tablets, TV, Blu Ray Player and Home Theater Receiver. Winamp’s Shoutcast network has thousands of internet radio stations that can be streamed, in quality has high as 256 Kbps. I use Sirius XM for Opie and Anthony, the dedicated league sports talk stations (NFL Radio, NHL Home Ice, MLB Network Radio, NASCAR Radio), the ESPN stuff, Fox News Talk and some music, although as a dual subscriber of Sirius and XM for many years prior to the merger, they were both much better before the merger.

My phone is from HTC and is infused with Beats Audio. One of my tablets and my MP3 Player are from Sony and have Sony’s S-Master technology built in. All three devices reproduce very good audio quality when connected to headphones or external speakers. Yesterday I was dual streaming my own personal music collection from my Walkman. I was connected to the Jambox via Bluetooth and using the DLNA capabilities to stream to my Home Theater Receiver and 7.1 speaker set up. Good stuff.
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

Of course you don't understand. I think I said "special circumstances."

My mate was blind, very ill and wanted to hear music. We do NOT receive a radio signal in the house. There was no need to purchase an expensive smart phone my mate could NOT see or use. The added expense to buy XM equipment and subscription, or a smart phone with Internet access was unreasonable.

For us the gift of a Livio radio and wireless speakers was greatly appreciated. My mate who had Alzheimer's was able to turn it on and off without assistance. You have no idea what a wonderful blessing it was to the very end.

I only mentioned Livio as an alternative source.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

So then why did you post this in the satellite radio forum? I personally have had XM for about 3 years and have no plans on giving it up. I drive between Houston and Dallas a lot and it makes the drive a lot nicer and is worth the money. My car has Pandora built into the sound system also and syncs with my phone, and I also use that often, but often times I do not feel like messing with that and just flip through the xm stations until I find something I like. As Steve mentioned, the sound quality is not as good, but I find it worth it for the convenience and station variety.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

You wouldn't by chance stop in at Collin Street Bakery on the south side of Corsicana for a quick pick-me-up, would you?
»www.collinstreet.com/pages/I45_store

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

Actually, I have. I do the round-trip drive on an almost monthly basis.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

I was there in March with my father who still lives in Corsicana. Nice little place.