Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

davidbates

join:2012-05-18
Madison, NC

[TWC] TWC Signature Home Unreliable Service NC-Rockingham Ubee

Hi,

I have around 16 devices around the house some wired some not and have had TWC Signature Home techs out to my house around a dozen times to solve this issue.

Issue:
Internet drops, DNS lookup failures, slow speed, etc.

Resolutions tried:
1. Swap modems 3X tried a docsis 2.0(motorola) and two 3.0 (Ubee) the motorola never failed on DNS but was constantly dropping signal, the Ubee's however screw up about every 24 / 48 hours.
2. Run new cable line and seperate VOIP and Data Cables
3. Run new drop from line
4. Replace all splitters.

I pay to have a wifi modem and also have a linksys EA4500 as an extender. I would just bridge the Ubee which seams to solve my issue but I pay for wireless and it should just work.

Is there any recommendation on what I should tell TWC, I know that Ubee routers have a problem with connectivity but boy this is getting ridiculous.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Re: [TWC] TWC Signature Home Unreliable Service NC-Rockingham Ub

Ur paying for Signature Home, so make TWC earn it and do the work to fix this.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to davidbates

Demand they check the uplinks to your local node. And make them show you the utilization stats.

You'll probably need the guys in the bucket trucks to do this. The average field tech probably won't have access to this information.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to davidbates

said by davidbates:

I would just bridge the Ubee which seams to solve my issue but I...

Isnt the Ubee garbage when being used as an all in one gateway? Have you tried with removing the extender from the mix?

Here, wireless is included for no additional charge if I wanted it but I guess if I looked at it as though I was paying for it somehow I still would not deal with the headaches especially if I found how I could solve the problems I was having.

With third party routers offering so much more control and reliability, why would you want to use the all in one units?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to davidbates

With Signature Home you pay nothing extra for the modem/wireless gateway and nothing for wireless connectivity. I’ve had Signature Home for 2 years now, and as soon as the tech left after swapping my equipment, I hooked my own Linksys router back up and had the UBee gateway put into bridge modem. Earlier this year I upgraded to the same router you have, the Linksys EA4500. I really don’t know why you don’t use that. It’s a great piece of hardware that cost you probably upwards of $200, so why not use it to its fullest? A few months ago I replaced the Ubee and now have an Arris D3 Gateway/MTA and I had it in bridge mode since I hooked it up. I would NEVER in a million years use the routing capabilities of a Time Warner provided gateway. Off the top of my head I have around 20 devices on my network, seven of them being wireless and the remaining are hardwired, never had a problem with connectivity using a Time Warner provided modem in conjunction with my own Linksys router.

My advice, put the Ubee in bridge mode and use the Linksys and see if that solves your problems.
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

Not often I agree with Mehs, I do today.

Hob

davidbates

Madison, NC
reply to OSUGoose

Agreed but how, they'll send techs but don't fix anything. I have a tech come out once a month and nothing.

davidbates

Madison, NC
reply to ke4pym

Good idea ke4pym... although to be honest I wouldn't know what I was looking at. Once I tracked down via tracert that there was a node above my house flopping but they fixed that and now it seams to be the modem freezing.

swintec,
I have read that the Ubee is garbage as well. I will say when it is working it works great. There is a line item on my bill for ~$5/month for wireless. I tried to get them to take it off when I got the service because I already have 13 linksys routers in the house. I only use the Ubee's wireless for guest access, it is hardwired to my mac which then feeds DHCP to the other routers.

davidbates

Madison, NC
reply to Happydude32

Thanks for the advice Steve Mehs,
Although on my bill I have a line item for $5 for wireless. (it may be the wireless modem rental) My linksys modem will do guest wireless (For security I like having it hardware separated)... instead of trying to get this modem to work in a feature disabled mode shouldn't I request a different type of modem? are there any out there that does what the Ubee does or is reliable?

davidbates

Madison, NC
reply to davidbates

Upstream

Downstream
Here is a couple of screenshots showing upload and download from the modem. While writing this post I lost all connectivity and had to restart. during that time I couldn't even get the modem's web interface to respond.

I find it odd that my upload has 44dBmv when the download only has 3.1, is this a signal to whats wrong?

Happydude32
Premium

Your signal levels are pretty good.

And well within spec.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to davidbates

Signature home should be $200 for the base package + tax (2 WHDVRs, Ultimate, phone). If you add up the "line items" and it's more than the advertised price, then you might have a problem. Otherwise it's included in the package. I know Extreme/Ultimate include wireless and even if you bridge you can't change the price, and I don't see why that would be any different for Signature Home.

Regardless, you have your own router, you can set guest access on that router if you really want, and that router is leaps and bounds ahead of what is on the Ubee. To be honest, it sounds like you're doing more than the Ubee can really handle. I would bridge, use your own equipment and forget about it.

Happydude32
Premium

There are no line items breaking down the individual components of the Signature Home Package. It should be all incorporated together. Additional add-ons like the Sports Pass and any taxes and fees will be separated obviously, but the core package is one line.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to davidbates

said by davidbates:

I already have 13 linksys routers in the house....

Was this a typo?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to davidbates

said by davidbates:

Agreed but how, they'll send techs but don't fix anything. I have a tech come out once a month and nothing.

Heck, you should make them come out 2x a month. Just so you're getting your monies worth out of the service!

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to davidbates

Arnt the techs suposed to be a higher class trained. Are you calling the Signature Home line?

davidbates

Madison, NC
reply to Happydude32

Thanks for all of your help. I will probably do as you say. Just curious if there is a modem that I could request that would work. I have only used bridge mode for short sprints of time and my trust in the modem is not there.

davidbates

Madison, NC
reply to swintec

It was not a typo, I have plaster walls and thus have a wireless router per section of the house. all Linksys E series. I also house all of my networking equipment in a server rack, you should see the techs when they come out :0

Fleeced

1 edit
reply to davidbates

They must do Sighome the same as everything else, completely different for each area. Wireless is included in the packages, and it's only 199.99.

Again, bridge the modem completely and just use your own networking equipment. You have, it use it, quit having problems. You're probably making that poor Ubee's NAT programming cry.

Edit: I have a friend who has Sighome in the Charlotte area and asked him about his bill. You shouldn't be getting a line charge on Signature home, he's not, like Mehs posted, it should be rolled into your Signature home price. I would have that rectified, and bridge your modem and use your router regardless.

Happydude32
Premium

Signature Home pricing is standard nationwide, as far as I know. $200 for Digital Cable w/ 2 Whole House DVRs, Ultimate Internet w/Wireless and Unlimited Nationwide Calling on Digital Phone. Or $230 for all of that plus HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Movie Pass. Signature Home subscribers are exempt from the new modem rental fee and wireless is included, if that is not the case, you should call up and speak to the billing dept.
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

Fleeced

reply to davidbates

Yeah, I was mainly find out to see if maybe in the Carolinas they showed the line charges, which they don't. So unless it's a recent upgrade that's prorated from something else, he shouldn't be charged that.

davidbates

Madison, NC
reply to Happydude32

Thanks to you all. I have a bill and have a line item for wireless modem rental. I bet this is from where they had to separate my telephone and internet. Going to give them a call tomorrow. You all may have saved my $5/month and helped me to solve my issue.

taznumber1

join:2003-12-26

I have extreme Internet and they gave me a ubee modem and I use to have issues with it. It would only give me I think 10 ip addresses via dhcp and if I went over that limit which ever machines were on to get the dhcp lease would be the only ones working. To get around this issue I did as previously mentioned I put my ubee in bridge mode and I put in my own wireless router so that router provided all wireless, routing and firewall services. Once I did that my service was rock solid it always worked with no modem rebooting all the time.

I have sense replaced my modem with a motrola sb6141 that I bought to remove the 4.95 monthly rental fee for their modem.