how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hacky0

join:2009-11-14
Baraboo, WI

[DSL] High latency in south central Wisconsin

I have three remote offices all using Frontier DSL 30 miles apart, and the others are on Charter. Ping time to all Frontier offices used to be about 60ms anytime of the day. This I was very happy with. Now I'm lucky to get under 100ms, to all three Frontier locations. Ping time remains under 25 ms for the Charter locations. The latency has been slowly increasing over a period of 5 weeks. It is now starting to effect VOIP, but so far it is still usable thanks to good echo cancelling.

Of course tracert reveals which hops are slow.

The slow hops are, in no particular order, collected from tracert's to the office edge routers:

50.50.1.70 (119 ms max)
50.50.1.82 (85 ms)
50.50.1.58 (76ms)
74.40.1.78 (78ms)
74.40.4.141 (varies)

74.40.4.141 is both fast and slow, it oscillates between 30ms and 80ms between individual pings.

Of course, pinging out from the office edge router to Frontier's first hop yields the same latency.

I spoke to 'tech support' and they asked me if the telephone line was fully seated in the modem, so I didn't pursue the issue any further. What are the chances of a competent engineer looking into this, or how do I notify the appropriate personnel? I asked a Frontier tech when he came out to swap out our old modem, but he gave me blank stare. So I dropped the issue and asked about putting the modem in bridge mode. He gave me another blank stare and said "Uhhh.....you better do that".

gozer
Premium
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

First gather pings that show where the jitter starts, and what hop it is so you can explain what we both know its the edge or dslam basically the first hop from the modem outbound it helps if you can ping it from inside and out at the same time if you get same jitter from both sides then you have proof. Then call, would be best to call during the day and dont call support ask for customer service. Be careful they will be quick to want to send you to support dont let them ask to speak to the customer service manager. Oh and always be nice. Tell the manager that you are a network person so you know where the trouble is and and ask if he wants the data you have collected or just the ip's that are the problem hops.
This way you wont have to deal with Frontier saying they have to have a tech come out to check things at your end and waist your time.

hacky0

Baraboo, WI
reply to hacky0

Thanks for the response. The latency has worsened to 125ms average. I have found a hop in the route that drops packets.

Packets drop if I continuously ping 74.40.2.194 (I went down the list in tracert (from Charter to my edge Frontier equipment) until I found the hop that started dropping packets.

I tried all the other routers in the hop after that and they didn't drop any packets. The aforementioned hop drops literally every other ping.

Today pinging from the router to the DSLAM was 24ms with no drops (50.50.160.1) but if I ping that IP address from Charter I get 100ms. Which makes sense to add 24ms or so to that to get the grand total 124ms for me to reach the edge equipment.

hacky0

Baraboo, WI
reply to hacky0

Update. I spoke with a pleasant lady over at the Business Repair number. She made three tickets for my locations and we ran some ping tests to yahoo.com to get averages and packet loss. The test showed crazy jitter and about 2 percent loss. She indicated that the tickets get forwarded to network ops first, and if no trouble is found they'll roll a truck. I guess I'm optimistic. It sounds like I'll get new modems out of the deal.

hacky0

Baraboo, WI
reply to hacky0

Re: [DSL] High latency, loss in south central Wisconsin

Update. Out location in the dells has approximately 4% packet loss for every 50 packets. I have found the hop that is dropping the packets, its the one directly after the DSLAM:

50.50.64.1 (first hop, never drops any packets)
50.50.1.65 (4% loss)
74.40.1.77 (good)
..and so on

The other locations (Mauston WI and Adams, WI) have high latency and jitter but thankfully no packet loss.

hacky0

Baraboo, WI
reply to hacky0

Re: [DSL] High latency in south central Wisconsin

Well, things have continued to go down hill. After a dozen support calls, 3 modem swaps, and 2 router swaps, I'm now seeing 580ms average and the worst I have seen is 1500ms. Packet loss varies between 1% (at night) to around 7% during business hours. Whoever at Frontier may be reading this: everything was perfect before December 3rd 2012. Everything broke after December 3rd. What happened? I have monitoring software in place that covers all that before, and after. I gave the IP addresses of the congested spots (mainly Chicago) and nothing is fixed. Your core router in Ashburn responds in a timely 28ms but you Chicago core just 3 hours south of me certainly cannot. All of my connections have to go through there.

Anyhow, I've reached an agreement with Charter to run new construction to our building. Thankfully, Jimmy Johns is next door to us and cover's most of the ROI and construction costs. The manager there confirmed he was having problems too. I've stopped using SIP trunks and VOIP and we'll limp along until it warms up enough for Charter to do construction.

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

This thread is sad. It disappoints me Frontier has such issues, especially for business customers. Most ISPs at least assign you a higher priority wit QoS, and some like Comcast even run some areas on their own network separate from residential. Frontier's issues are just saddening. You'd think congestion issues would be gone considering the upgrades they're doing and the amount of Fiber they're deploying.

I wish you luck with this.
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2387637868.png

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
reply to hacky0

Yes, it is sad. Frontier in many areas is behind the times. Good luck with your move to Charter.