spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CBLMorphis

join:2001-02-25
Riverside, CA

[Wireless] Linksys wap54g strong signal but no speeds?

I am very confussed about this and have been for quite some time. I have a Linksys BESF41, going into my Linksys WAP54G, for a long time I have had no issues, I have changed nothing on my LAN side, I have added nothing that would cause it to have slow speeds.

I am on channel 11, I have tested other channels with same results, I have disabled SSID, I have set it to G only, I have forced the nic at that speed, and no matter what, I have no bandwidth at all.

Wired side works excellent, no problems what so ever. I get 5mbit no problem.

I just can't figure it out,

Wireless device has been in the same location and never been moved, it used to work at one time, never had a problem, it was running great.
--
Like My DSL!!!

CBLMorphis

Riverside, CA

I am using WPA2 now, and I am getting about 1Mbit over wireless, I use to do at least 3Mbit, so some how I am loosing about 2Mbits.

I have been messing with my becon, rts, frag and I don't see much differance. I even went right close to the AP and away from it, and I still see the same results. Any ideas?
--
Like My DSL!!!

CBLMorphis

Riverside, CA

I now reach a little over 1Mbit, I noticed that when it downloads using the speakeasy speed test, the meter as its downloading, it jittery, not smooth, uploads are perfect, smooth.
--
Like My DSL!!!

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to CBLMorphis

You may have already done this, however, I do not see you state that you re-booted your modem, router and AP. If you already tried this, sorry. I re-boot everything once in a while and notice faster wireless speeds at times when I do.

CBLMorphis

Riverside, CA

Yes done that several times.
--
Like My DSL!!!

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Just some thoughts at large...

So how crowded are channels 1, 6, 11? The 2.4GHz band is really only 3 channels (don't get me started on the idiocy of the 11 channels). Treat someone on channel 4 as 1/2 on 1 and 1/2 on 6.

I say this because your symptoms are classic congestion. OR... some subtle hardware or software issue crept in - possible but less likely.

It doesn't matter how close you are. If other signals are heard the APs have to wait for each other by protocol. This is why I'm heading that direction. If it was from a dumb microwave oven then the right-next-to-the-AP would usually improve (microwaves don't abide by 802.11 ).

But I'd say, if you're constantly getting slow speeds, even at wee hours on all channels, perhaps it is more likely something else crept in. You would think those other guys would shaddup for awhile.

HTH

CBLMorphis

Riverside, CA

I tried different ports, and cables, are you saying I should try a different channel?
--
Like My DSL!!!

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Try at odd hours - do you EVER get good speed on channels 1, 6 or 11? If so, it's almost assured the problem is radio congestion at other times.

Can you "View Wireless Networks"? How many do you see? How strong are they? On what channels (so you can avoid them)?

There is no "do this and things will be fine". If you don't first observe what you got, you're left with trial-and-error which is not very efficient.

CBLMorphis

Riverside, CA

Well on channel 11, it seems to go up to little above 1mbit late at night.
--
Like My DSL!!!

Kyawa
Premium
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

Did try a hard reset and reconfigure?

CBLMorphis

Riverside, CA

Yes I have done that several times, I have switched out several cables, tried different ports into the router. Whats strange is that sometimes when I enter 192.168.1.245, it times out, and when I ping it, it times out. Now my entire network is on 192.168.1.1 pool, everything connected that is.
--
Like My DSL!!!

Kyawa
Premium
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

Why would you try to ping 192.168.1.245? Was that the old IP if the AP? Or the router? What is the LAN IP of the BEFS41? Make sure you don't have an IP conflict after the reset. Past that, it looks like the AP is bad.

CBLMorphis

Riverside, CA

Everything is on the 192.168.1.1, router is 192.168.1.1, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, AP is 192.168.1.245

All systems, clients, desktops, laptops are on the 192.168.1.****

I can connect to the AP settings page no problem, when I do a speakeasy speedtest the upload flies, but when I download, its very jumpy and it don't go past from the looks of it, 22k
--
Like My DSL!!!

CBLMorphis

Riverside, CA

1 recommendation

Well I bought a Netgear DGND3700v2 gateway. Wireless, Wired and ADSL Modem. Best money I could have spent. I get a blazzing fast 5mbit's, with the AP I had was lucky to get 3 when it worked.

Maybe a problem with the AP I am assuming. Well in any case, I needed something that worked, and this works awesome. Thanks for everyones help.
--
Like My DSL!!!