Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·T-Mobile US

Watching TV using a Smart device........Awesome!

Well I found a Blu-Ray that includes the Fios App for watching 75 channels without having a box. (LG BP620 $99 Best Buy)

I am finding the HD channels to have a almost perfect picture. Better then using the box. Note, there are 75 channels, but if they are not in your current package, you won't get them.

It's a little slow for channel surfing, but you can look at the program guide they provide and find what you want to watch.

I like it though. I will miss the locals, but I believe I can watch some of my local channels online. I also kept one Fios box (out of 4). My plan is to get three more of these Blu-Rays and use them in the kids rooms.

In 4 months, they will have paid themselves and after that, I will be saving $70 a month.

elizar

join:2010-09-08
Buffalo, NY

Just be careful before you dump all your other boxes. This uses your internet connection so you may not have enough bandwidth for multiple simultaneous streams. Just like VOD - try to start up more then one HD VOD title at the same time. In my house two at the same time are unwatchable.

Acct101
Premium
Bensalem, PA
reply to Acct101

I never thought of that. Thanks.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Acct101

So the quality is much better than what the Xbox360 shows? All of the channels that the 360 has, the quality is lower than what I see from the TiVos.

Acct101
Premium
Bensalem, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·T-Mobile US

I don't have an xbox so I couldn't tell you. But I thought the picture quality was great, especially on the non HD channels. This technology is in its infancy, I wonder if they would ever allow you to watch their Sports channels this way? The only sports channel I saw was ESPN News which I don't get with Prime. But I can see the issue here, they probably won't allow it unless they were given permission from the Pro Leagues.

vz tech 2

join:2005-11-19
Richmond, VA
reply to Acct101

So does that player have to be on the fios network router in order to get the programming like the ipad app does?

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by vz tech 2:

So does that player have to be on the fios network router in order to get the programming like the ipad app does?

Yep

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to vz tech 2

said by vz tech 2:

Were you really expecting a "NO" ?
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA
reply to elizar

and I doubt the content is ny better over IP than what is being sent down a fiber channel. after all the content is the same when they get it

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by rtcy:

and I doubt the content is ny better over IP than what is being sent down a fiber channel. after all the content is the same when they get it

Of course depends on the source as some content originates as mpeg4.

FIOSNE

@verizon.net

To get FIOS does one need a smart Samsung TV and smart samung blu ray or will just having one smart device be ok

Thanks

T

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

said by FIOSNE :

To get FIOS does one need a smart Samsung TV and smart samung blu ray or will just having one smart device be ok

Thanks

T

You would need only one or the other -- HOWEVER:

At this point, the FiOS app on a Samsung BluRay is problematical (at least for me it is). It should work on a 2011/2012 Smart TV but I cannot confirm that since I do not have one.

I have a brandy new BD-E5900 BluRay and V* says their app should work on it, Samsung says NO and I cannot see the FiOS app on the Samsung app store to even D/L it.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

Acct101
Premium
Bensalem, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·T-Mobile US

I had the BD-E5900 and the app was not there. I took it back and purchased a LG BP620 and the App is there and it works. Although it seems that if I walk away and leave it on, after awhile it stops working. I've only had it for a few days, so I have not had time to figure out the cause of it.

So in short, if you purchase the LG BP620 Blu-Ray the App is there and it will work.

ramsey76

@verizon.net

I purchased the LG BP620 today. My issue is that the download started at 4 PM today and 4 hours later it not complete.

I am assuming this not normal and there is dome issue with my network

What is the normal time for a download

T

Acct101
Premium
Bensalem, PA

My download took maybe 5 minutes. If that long. Do you have the faster internet speeds? I am paying for 75, I forget what that means but I know its the highest speed for home use that is still affordable.

ramsey76

@verizon.net

I stopped the download and restarted and the second download was completed in 5 minutes

The picture is excellent. My issue is that it takes about 5 seconds to change channels using the DVD remote ( about 2 to 3 seconds to load). I am assuming this is because of average strength wireless signal

vircotto

join:2002-06-04
searching...
reply to elizar

Any idea what speed one needs to use this (just one box) and still have a responsive internet connection? I get about 25 down and this intrigues me.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

I haven't measured it, but I could take an educated guess that they're using MPEG4 in the 4-8Mbps range. You'll still be able to use the internet just fine.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Acct101

said by Acct101:

I don't have an xbox so I couldn't tell you. But I thought the picture quality was great, especially on the non HD channels. This technology is in its infancy, I wonder if they would ever allow you to watch their Sports channels this way? The only sports channel I saw was ESPN News which I don't get with Prime. But I can see the issue here, they probably won't allow it unless they were given permission from the Pro Leagues.

With an Xbox 360, you'd have access to WatchESPN, which would allow you to watch ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Buzzer Beater and Goal Line.