how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

kindle or android tablet, for mom?

Dad just told me he wants to get one of those two for mom for Christmas, the problem? I don't know the first thing about drod vs kindle.

Can anyone here help, like give me a short list of pros/cons for them?

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3

well I can say kindles are nice and easy to use and good prices for what you get. my dad just got one like a week ago and loves it.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to me1212

Android tablet...far more functionality.

»reviews.cnet.com/best-tablets/be···-tablets

EDIT: The Kindle tablets display ads, so if that is an issue, you might want to consider something else. The Kindle is basically a storefront for the Amazon store. Not saying that is bad, it's just something to take into consideration.

exocet_cm
You see, but you do not observe
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
reply to me1212

Android tablet. You can read books from it and do a hellava lot more than a Kindle.

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to me1212

I have a Kindle Fire. (Have had it for over two years, not the new HD one.)
Kindle IS android!

If your mom is not technologically inclined, I would stay away from any of that stuff.....
--
Mom and Crockett... I miss you both!

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to me1212

Get mom the Android tablet. She can use it for skype calls, free long distance with the magicjack app, web browsing, playing MP3s, movies, reading non DRM pdf files as well as Amazon DRM crap with the Kindle app as well as taking and viewing family pictures and the occasional game of angry birds

Personally I'd never buy any proprietary piece of hardware as riddled with DRM as the Kindle when a non DRM hardware exists in the same price range.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to me1212

Android for all the reasons stated above. Far more versatility.

Expand your moderator at work

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to me1212

Re: kindle or android tablet, for mom?

Thanks for all your help guys! We ended up getting her a nexus 7 4G. Not quite sure how it works yet, like since theres no sd slot if I can use some sort of usb stick or not, but I'll figure it out before tuesday so I can teach her.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Do any updates NOW before the servers get swamped.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to Maccawolf

said by Maccawolf:

I have a Kindle Fire. (Have had it for over two years, not the new HD one.)
Kindle IS android!

If your mom is not technologically inclined, I would stay away from any of that stuff.....

+1
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to me1212

Do you have wifi at your house? Yes, I know the one you bought has 4G...

Also, look in a free Dropbox (or similar) account. Makes it easy to transfer data off of existing computers.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Yeah we got wifi, but ALL the non 4g ones at every store we called(within a 1 hour drive of our house) were sold out. Even most of the 4g ones were gone, only microcenter(really not a surprise) had even the 4g left.

I have a skydrive(edit: its a 25GB account) account, and I think google has its own thing for could back up. but yeah dropbox does sound like a good alternative.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to John Galt

you can get a version with no ads for an extra 14 bucks can you not? seems that way on their site. nothing wrong with a locked down tablet for someone who just wants the Netflix web surfing and reading a simple tablet is fine.

I got my in-laws a roku for x-mas but I tested it first and to me it's so damn limited but for them it's perfect. If I buy tech for people I got to think of their needs and how they will use it not me.

Forking sucks amazon made the new version of kindle harder to hack bastards.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to me1212

Good on the wifi. It will keep the data charges down if you are using your home connection.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to Maccawolf

said by Maccawolf:

Kindle IS android!

Yes it is, but very AMAZON centric limited compared to your generic Android tablet like ASUS, Sammy and Toshiba.
--

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

Whatever you use, see if you can back up the books. Amazon has been known to delete books.

I forget if it was B&N or Amazon, but they started purging books from users who didn't have a current credit card.

It was B&N -
»www.techdirt.com/articles/201211···es.shtml

I get books from elsewhere on an Android tablet. Back them up on a computer. Anyone tries to delete, I still have book. I won't use either B&N, Amazon or Google books.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

Thanks for all your help guys! We ended up getting her a nexus 7 4G. Not quite sure how it works yet, like since theres no sd slot if I can use some sort of usb stick or not, but I'll figure it out before tuesday so I can teach her.

There is using Stickmount app but you need root access for it to work. Dropbox is a good alternative.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to carpetshark3

Seems both are guilty

»Amazon wipes women's Kindle, will not tell her why
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
reply to me1212

Get the tablet and stay away from Kindle. I have gone through two Kindles (Keyboard/3G/WIFI version) from them and both of them died on me. They are cheaply made and there is something wrong with their internal electronics.
--

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

Now I am worried.... I just bought my g/f a Kindle Fire HD... and I am wondering if I made a $250 mistake..... But she insisted that is what she wanted...

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by neonhomer:

Now I am worried.... I just bought my g/f a Kindle Fire HD... and I am wondering if I made a $250 mistake..... But she insisted that is what she wanted...

Not listening to her, may have been a bigger mistake.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
reply to neonhomer

if she just wants to use legal serves and does not want to download games for free then yeah she is fine. If she is willing to pay for her goods and wants to surf read and watch some videos then Kindle Fire HD is fine.

discussingg

@pacbell.net
reply to me1212

My dad, got my mom a kindle fire for Xmas. I'm at home on vacation. The first thing that upset me was original angry birds is not free. My mom fell for "click here" adds (and they are every were)
so, I have been playing with it... it's just like any New system, it takes time to learn to learn it. but,kindle fire makes it easy to pay, rather than learn. (if I had one, I would root, Rom, and be Google play).
but, my mom was able to find three books she wanted to read, and was happy to pay for, by herself, with no help.
It is a trade off. money VR time. I spent 10 min finding out how to get angry birds for free. My mom would have paid 99 cents (she was told to try it).
Kindle is a money suck. but, if your time+motivation is less than money. Your mom is gtg (good to go) with no help!
If you want to give lessons go normal android tablet.

personally, I'm going to do a combination of both. I'm going to leave her with kindle, but show her how to not pay.

(this was typed with my moms kindle, the predictive keyboard is top notch, and has Swype)

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

Dad just told me he wants to get one of those two for mom for Christmas, the problem? I don't know the first thing about drod vs kindle.

Android at least in the tablet sense is Open Platform wifi not tied to a cell provider.

Android is open platform Kindle is TOTATLY AMAZON tied quasi ANDROID but very AMAZON centric dedicated not true Android.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to TOPDAWG

said by TOPDAWG:

well I can say kindles are nice and easy to use and good prices for what you get. my dad just got one like a week ago and loves it.

Actually you can do far better open generic Android for far less and not be Amazon tied or limited.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to neonhomer

said by neonhomer:

Well ya know people can be for EVER LIMITED CRAPPLE... you want to go Amazon Android centric and limited you can do much the same.

Maybe you see lower initial price but comes with big limitation cost in the end.... unless you want to get into knowing your way around things maybe rooting to make it more generic and not AMAZON only.
--