spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Tornado15550
join:2012-12-16
Canada

Tornado15550

IPV6 availability on TELUS Optik Internet

So, do you know when Telus is planning on launching ipv6?
And does the Actiontec V1000H support ipv6?
If not, then can I request a free upgrade to the V2000H?

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

pfak

Premium Member

I'd venture at least 2-3 years off. No, you can't request the V2000H since it's not launched.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to Tornado15550

Premium Member

to Tornado15550
hopefully never

Tornado15550
join:2012-12-16
Canada

Tornado15550

Why?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned) to Cartel

to Cartel
said by Cartel:

hopefully never

LOL. That is not an option.

Ipv99
@teksavvy.com

Ipv99 to Tornado15550

Anon

to Tornado15550
What's the big whoop with ipv6. It's not like your intarwebs are going to go faster. All it will mean is we can't use nat and we will get huge ip addresses. I can wait thanks

file
join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB

1 recommendation

file

You can actually NAT IPv6. The question becomes why.
telususer
join:2006-03-05
Burnaby, BC

1 recommendation

telususer

If you want to communicate with new networks that are using IPv6 exclusively.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned) to Ipv99

to Ipv99
said by Ipv99 :

What's the big whoop with ipv6. It's not like your intarwebs are going to go faster. All it will mean is we can't use nat and we will get huge ip addresses. I can wait thanks

What's the big whoop with ipv4. It's not like your interwebs are going to go faster. NAT in the common case is not good. More address space is a good thing. It's about time this is finally rolled out.
couttsj
join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC

1 recommendation

couttsj to Tornado15550

to Tornado15550
There is no urgency of moving to IPV6. As someone has already said, IPv6 does not offer any advantage except that NAT is no longer necessary. The disadvantage is that if you use IPv6 on your private network, all the machines and all the software on that network must use IPv6. For example, there are a lot of email programs out there still in use that do not support IPv6.

The more likely scenario is that when IPv6 is finally implemented, many private networks will continue to use IPv4 and NAT; the only difference being that NAT will translate between IPv4 and IPv6 instead of between private and public addresses.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by couttsj:

For example, there are a lot of email programs out there still in use that do not support IPv6.

nonsense.
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

1 recommendation

bimmerdriver to Tornado15550

to Tornado15550
Just because Telus is not out of address space doesn't mean that other places in the world are not out of address space. Many ISPs are preparing for ipv6, there is no reason why Telus should not also be preparing for it.

anon user
@verizon.net

anon user to couttsj

Anon

to couttsj
quote:
For example, there are a lot of email programs out there still in use that do not support IPv6.

Sounds to like nonsense, without..

#1 the names of those programs.

#2 stating your sources (URLs) of where you got that info from.

Thanks
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

pb2k to pfak

to pfak
said by pfak:

I'd venture at least 2-3 years off.

That's a bit optimistic for any serious changes. I reckon it'll be another 25 years before a final transition is attempted.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned)

said by pb2k:

That's a bit optimistic for any serious changes. I reckon it'll be another 25 years before a final transition is attempted.

The comment was about initial roll out, not a complete cut over.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to file

Premium Member

to file
said by file:

You can actually NAT IPv6. The question becomes why.

Yeah, technically overloading NAT it was added to the Linux kernel. Why someone would use NAT as opposed to prefix translation is beyond me.

They're also asking for a world of hurt as you won't find apps doing NAT punch-through.
whfsdude

1 recommendation

whfsdude to pb2k

Premium Member

to pb2k
said by pb2k:

Most operators will run in dual-stack for awhile. (with the exception of specialized networks, eg. cell networks running v6 only)

I think you'll see servers and customers turning off v4 before their network operators do. One of the biggest culprits will be the increased spam. When you have a thousand people sharing a single IP (carrier grade NAT), you're going to see lots of incoming spam that can't be easily blocked.
couttsj
join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC

couttsj to anon user

to anon user
said by anon user :

quote:

Sounds to like nonsense, without..

#1 the names of those programs.

#2 stating your sources (URLs) of where you got that info from.

Thanks

IPv6-capable
* Thunderbird 2 (note, you must enable IPv6 DNS queries)
* Windows Mail (on Windows Vista)
* Windows Live Mail (on XP and Vista)
* Apple Mail.app
* Microsoft Outlook 2007
* GyazMail 1.5.8 and higher
* Balsa 2.3
* Sylpheed 2.x, except on Windows
* Opera

Not IPv6-capable
* Mulberry 4
* Outlook Express 6
* Outlook 2003 SP3
* Eudora 7
* Forte Agent 4.2
* Chandler 1.0.3

»wikispaces.psu.edu/displ ··· +Support

I was using an older version of Eudora, but since Eudora is no longer supported and will never be able to support IPv6, I chose to write my own email client program. One of the most widely used Email Client programs (Outhouse Excuse/Outlook Express) will not support IPv6 and is no longer supported by Microsoft.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned)

said by couttsj:

Not IPv6-capable
* Mulberry 4
* Outlook Express 6
* Outlook 2003 SP3
* Eudora 7
* Forte Agent 4.2
* Chandler 1.0.3

»wikispaces.psu.edu/displ ··· +Support

I was using an older version of Eudora, but since Eudora is no longer supported and will never be able to support IPv6, I chose to write my own email client program. One of the most widely used Email Client programs (Outhouse Excuse/Outlook Express) will not support IPv6 and is no longer supported by Microsoft.

I wouldn't call that a lot and it is mostly niche software with the exception of Outlook/Outlook Express, but users would be doing themselves a big favour to switch from OE to Thunderbird or some other sane e-mail client anyway. I wouldn't consider most of this stuff even if v6 was not in the picture. Besides if you're still running old crap like this you're probably still running XP and I wouldn't bother with v6 unless I was using an OS with better v6 support.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to Tornado15550

Premium Member

to Tornado15550
The email stuff is kind of a moot point too. If the client doesn't support v6, it'll just use IPv4 as any sane ISP would dual stack you.

I'd be much more worried about games and such that are v4 only and won't be able to punch through NAT444 for multi-player.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

Users would be doing themselves a big favour to switch from OE to Thunderbird or some other sane e-mail client anyway.

Like what?
said by 34764170:

I wouldn't consider most of this stuff even if v6 was not in the picture.

Please explain why.
said by 34764170:

Besides if you're still running old crap like this you're probably still running XP and I wouldn't bother with v6 unless I was using an OS with better v6 support.

Like what ( Mac OS, Unix/Linux, newer version of Windows than XP ) ?

How is newer versions of Windows XP better, in terms of IPv6 support?

Thanks
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

2 edits

34764170 (banned)

said by aefstoggaflm:

Like what?

Having an e-mail client that isn't a complete PoS and full of bugs. I migrated a handful of my friends / family members away from OE many years ago when they were running XP because it has a nasty bug with TLS or was it SASL making it unusable. Can't remember which as it was quite some time ago. They all loved TB much more so than OE and they had a non broken mail client; plus various features that were pretty useful.
said by aefstoggaflm:

Please explain why.

Especially with OE/Outlook and Eudora (are you kidding me..) its mostly old crap or is just plain crap and I wouldn't wish this stuff on my worst enemy.
said by aefstoggaflm:

Like what ( Mac OS, Unix/Linux, newer version of Windows than XP ) ?

How is newer versions of Windows XP better, in terms of IPv6 support?

XP doesn't support SMB / DNS over v6 and there are a few other aspects of its v6 support that are sub par compared to Vista/7. Similar issues with OS X 10.5 and older; there is also one or more nasty bugs with the resolver. I wouldn't consider unless using 10.6.8 or newer.