« Java update.Tool bar »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

[WIN7] Flash kills my PC

Having had to endure this problem for the past few weeks now, I finally come here to ask for help.

Very simply, using flash to watch any videos on any sites (not just youtube), and my whole system freezes. I can't even bring CAD to kill the process or anything, and the mouse won't move. The only way I can get back to a usable windows environment is to hit the reset button, so OF COURSE the only things in event viewer for errors that I could ever find are about it complaining about not being shut down properly.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling flash player.

I've tried updating my browser (in this case, Waterfox).

I've even tried searching and editing the mms.cfg to disable the utterly broken protected mode that was blamed for this problem, and still I keep having this problem.

I'm so sick of this... and what's worse is that outside of maybe youtube, none of the other sites use anything but Flash player for their videos.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
I've seen that exact issue with an ATI GPU. I tried updating the drivers and updating flash but the problem didn't disappear until I backdated the drivers to something much older.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to C0deZer0
Any change if you disable Hardware Acceleration in the Flash control applet?

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
reply to C0deZer0
My first guess would be something similar to urbanriot See Profile, sounds like a video driver issue conflicting with Flash.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

Funny... just a few minutes before I was about to reply to urbanriot See Profile and Dustyn See Profile, I peep over on nvidia's site and see that a new release driver has been released. Here's hoping this helps. I'll try to keep posted on what happens, and if I find a (lasting) fix.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to C0deZer0
Well, updating the video driver didn't help, either. Flash still kills my PC.

Dustyn See Profile, two questions:
•Where would I disable the hardware acceleration in Flash? And more importantly...
•Why would I ever want to?

Hell, one of the "Big selling points" since 10.1 was that they finally added in hardware acceleration, given that flash even back then was a notorious CPU hog. I really don't want to have to go back to having my CPU fully pegged just to watch a damn Youtube video
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Dr Tweak

join:2004-09-23
Chesapeake, VA
reply to C0deZer0
Uninstall Flash Player, then use the flash player uninstaller from here »majorgeeks.com/Adobe_Flash_Playe···551.html then reboot and reinstall flash player. I have seen strange issues like this with flash player and simply uninstalling and reinstalling do not fix it, the uninstaller from adobe usually fixes things.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
This is now the fourth time I have tried this... I don't currently have any reason to expect it'll be fixed this time.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

art22gg
Premium
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC
kudos:6
reply to C0deZer0
Have you seen this link?...»Some Firefox Users Can Dump Adobe Flash

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to C0deZer0
Well, managed to stumble across the option that allowed me to disable hardware acceleration.

As predicted, all that function does is just automatically peg any video I watch to whore out all of my processors at 100% load.

And it still kills my PC.

Right about now, my Christmas present to adobe would involve murdering the department that makes Flash Player.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
reply to C0deZer0

Picture 1

Picture 2

I think there is something else at play here. I'm also running Waterfox, and while I do get the occasional crash of Adobe Flash, it never causes my PC to become totally unresponsive. Most times, I get a message that Adobe flash player has crashed. I either just close and re-open Waterfox, or I'll reload the page to correct the issue.

I have also never modified any of the flash settings, which includes hardware acceleration. If its on by default, then I have left it on.

So, lets try to compare things to see if we can narrow this down.

First, my hardware.
•CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635 Processor running at 2.90GHz
•Memory: 12 GB of Corsair PC10666 DDR3 (3 x 4 GB)
•Video Card: GeForce GT220. Driver Version 310.70 WHQL, released on 12-17-2012.

Next, OS, and other software information

•Virus Scanner: McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise Version 8.8 w/patch 2.
•Waterfox Version: 16.0.1
•Flash Version: 11.5.502.135
•Extensions: None
•Appearance: Default 16.0.1 (The Default Theme)
•Plugins: Java(TM) Platform SE 7 U10 10.10.2.18, Shockwave Flash 11.5.502.135, Silverlight Plug-In 5.1.10411.0.

I am also not running any kind of cookie manager, ad-blocker, or the like. My Privacy settings for Waterfox are shown in Picture #1. What is saved when Waterfox is closed is shown in Picture #2. I also do not have any exceptions set for cookies. I did it that way as it was easier then typing that part all out.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
reply to C0deZer0
A video pegs your processor to max with cpu processing? How old is your computer?

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

3 edits
reply to C0deZer0
»[BETA] Flash Player 11.6 Beta update
This is not a fix for your issue... however, if you run out of ideas or suggestions, you could try out the BETA just to verify the same result occurs? It will not work on Windows 8.
But I would recommend you follow their steps listed in the following link FIRST before attempting to reinstall anything Flash related.
»helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/···ows.html

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

1 edit
reply to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

A video pegs your processor to max with cpu processing? How old is your computer?

Specs are in my profile... but it's a Q6600. Just looking at the task manager, or the little sidebar gadget when I load up an HD Youtube or pretty much any HD video from the sites I go to and it goes straight to max to play. It'll play (until it crashes), but yea... it's a video, not f*cking Crysis!
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
Even my Pentium 4 with an old AGP NVIDIA can play HD video problem free. I agree, your computers age is not the issue here. Your specs are more than adequate.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
reply to C0deZer0
I'm wondering if the drivers for one, or both of your cards is stuck at legacy. I realize you have one as a physx card, however legacy support often is ignored with newer software even if they are still capable of running current software. The gpu acceleration doesn't work as well on my system with an older nvidia card in the same era as your 8800, and it's far better to use flash without hardware acceleration on that system.

Well for youtube stuff you might try the html5 trial, and maybe another browser if you haven't already like chrome. However do realize a p4 can only do hd video with gpu offloading, and even a core 2 might have some trouble decoding hd video on the processor alone.

There's also a chance if this isn't just a software driver conflict like I've seen in the past, it's showing impending hardware failure. I've personally seen that when running a game, and flash with gpu acceleration enabled caused the game to crash. After a couple releases of flash, and nvidia drivers it was resolved. I even ran a gpu memory tester, the nvidia drivers allowed the gpu acceleration in flash allowed it to corrupt the memory being used by the game. Disabling flash gpu acceleration prevented it from happening entirely.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to C0deZer0
Looking at your stats, it seems you have two video cards? Have you tried, temporarily, disabling or removing one of them? Did this start happening with a particular Flash version, or change in the video driver version?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
said by andyross:

Looking at your stats, it seems you have two video cards? Have you tried, temporarily, disabling or removing one of them? Did this start happening with a particular Flash version, or change in the video driver version?

I also saw that in your stats as well. If it was me, I would pull one of the video cards out, and test things. If all is good, then switch that card out for the other one, and test again. If it is a specific card that is causing the problem, you should see it during this kind of test.

Sure, its a lot of work to power off, unplug, test, etc, but maybe that could help isolate the issue to a specific card. From there, we can troubleshoot that card on its own and get things resolved. Then, plug the 2nd card in and see if things are still OK.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to C0deZer0
Far as I could tell, it only started when Adobe - despite my requested settings - insisted on updating Flash Player. Figures that the only one that they'd allow you to install is the latest one, which of course doesn't work.

Well, with nothing else to lose, I'd decided to try out that 11.6 beta. Not saying anything now; hoping not to jinx myself with more crashing fits. But in case, I made sure to get the uninstaller prepared.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

said by C0deZer0:

Far as I could tell, it only started when Adobe - despite my requested settings - insisted on updating Flash Player. Figures that the only one that they'd allow you to install is the latest one, which of course doesn't work.

I think it depends on how you install Flash, and what you modify after it is installed.

I download the EXE's directly from this web page
https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

Then, when I install them, you get the option (I think its at the end) as to how you want to check for updates. I always select the last option, which is never check.

Finally, I go and disable the following service "Adobe Acrobat Update Service".

I'm not sure if that is there because of Reader, or because of Flash. In either case, I don't want it running to try to update anything.

There is also a registry key or two that I remove that has to do with Adobe. Again, it may be for reader, but I'm not taking any chances. I forget the exact name of the key, but I know it is found at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I've been installing Flash using the EXE's that I downloaded directly, and making the following changes since Version 11.3.300.268 (which, was July of this year). I have never been asked to update my version of Flash, or have been forced to do so. The only way I know is by going into Waterfox and doing the check there, or by visiting the web page that I referenced to see if a new one is out.

What version are you looking for? I have the EXE's (both for IE and non-ie browsers) for the following versions

If the one you want is here, let me know and we'll figure out a way for me to get you the EXE.

--Brian

--
--Brian Plencner

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
Well, 11.6 beta crashed so hard last night that I had to just hold down the power button to finally get the thing to turn off.

plencnerb See Profile, I'll take the earliest 11.* ones you got, to start with.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
Ok, how can I get them to you? Am I allowed to zip them up and post them here? Should I e-mail them to you?

--Brian

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
if uploading here won't work, feel free to pm me.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

{Attachments removed}

Attached is the EXE's for version 11.3.300.268. One is for IE, and the other is for non-IE browsers.

--Brian

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
Thanks for uploading those. So far, the good news is that At least on other sites so far, I've not experienced a crash.

The bad news is, trying to watch ANY video on youtube just gives me the "An error has occurred. Please try again later".

Searching online brings me to mozilla's help article about it, which says either to update (which so far has been a spectacular failure), or to downgrade to Flash 10.3.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
Well, on the adobe site I linked to, you can download version 10.3.183.48. Its the last download at the bottom of the page.

I went ahead and saved it locally, as I did not have that one. So, maybe you can give that one a try?

--Brian

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
Nope. Youtube now won't allow anything to play at all... not even the HTML5 version of the site will play with 10.3 installed.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

1 recommendation

reply to plencnerb
You can send a file from right here:

»/sendfile

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
Love this service but make sure you don't make the link public.
It only seems to allow 5 downloads maximum. And there is no way to reset it, other than to re-upload.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
reply to C0deZer0
Not a real solution, but virtual box with something like ubuntu should allow you to do what you need for now. Have you considered removing your old video card, and seeing if that resolved any problems yet?