Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

Re: [WIN7] Flash kills my PC

Well, 11.6 beta crashed so hard last night that I had to just hold down the power button to finally get the thing to turn off.

plencnerb See Profile, I'll take the earliest 11.* ones you got, to start with.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Ok, how can I get them to you? Am I allowed to zip them up and post them here? Should I e-mail them to you?

--Brian

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

if uploading here won't work, feel free to pm me.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

1 edit

1 recommendation

plencnerb

Premium Member

{Attachments removed}

Attached is the EXE's for version 11.3.300.268. One is for IE, and the other is for non-IE browsers.

--Brian

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Thanks for uploading those. So far, the good news is that At least on other sites so far, I've not experienced a crash.

The bad news is, trying to watch ANY video on youtube just gives me the "An error has occurred. Please try again later".

Searching online brings me to mozilla's help article about it, which says either to update (which so far has been a spectacular failure), or to downgrade to Flash 10.3.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Well, on the adobe site I linked to, you can download version 10.3.183.48. Its the last download at the bottom of the page.

I went ahead and saved it locally, as I did not have that one. So, maybe you can give that one a try?

--Brian

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Nope. Youtube now won't allow anything to play at all... not even the HTML5 version of the site will play with 10.3 installed.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
You can send a file from right here:

»/sendfile

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

Love this service but make sure you don't make the link public.
It only seems to allow 5 downloads maximum. And there is no way to reset it, other than to re-upload.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
Not a real solution, but virtual box with something like ubuntu should allow you to do what you need for now. Have you considered removing your old video card, and seeing if that resolved any problems yet?

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

said by BlitzenZeus:

Not a real solution, but virtual box with something like ubuntu should allow you to do what you need for now. Have you considered removing your old video card, and seeing if that resolved any problems yet?

I'd really rather not have to resort to that. Simply because right now I don't have the time, the funds, or the resources to go through the hassle of dealing with manufacturer warranties with month-plus turnaround and buying new parts.

Trying 11.4 now.
C0deZer0

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Whelp, 11.4 on waterfox still crashed. It lasted longer than the current build Adobe wants to push on us now, but still...

I'm not fond of Chrome, either, but so far, that one hasn't crashed on either SD or HD videos. This at least leads me to believe it is a problem with the software end of things.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

What's the specs of your system? I swear I fixed this before for someone else and thinking about it, the issue may not have been so simple and may have been a BIOS adjustment to his Asus board.

What motherboard do you have?

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Lesse...
•Q6600
•eVGA 680i SLI
•XFX GTX 285 (primary)
•eVGA 8800GTS 640 (now PhysX - no monitors are connected to this one)
•X-Fi Xtremegamer
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
I'm not sure the results would be different, but have you tried it with 32-bit firefox instead? The latest version of Firefox is 17, waterfox has only kept up to 16.

Chrome will use the latest version of flash, but it has their own build.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

said by BlitzenZeus:

I'm not sure the results would be different, but have you tried it with 32-bit firefox instead? The latest version of Firefox is 17, waterfox has only kept up to 16.

Chrome will use the latest version of flash, but it has their own build.

No, I haven't yet. Well, to be plain, it seemed to make more sense to use a 64-bit browser on a 64-bit OS if I can at all help it.

Might as well try that too.
C0deZer0

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Flash on Chrome finally crashed today.

Uninstalled Waterfox to install Firefox 17. It rather auto-installed the 'current' build of Flash Player as soon as I visited Youtube. was in the middle of watching one of the Summer/Awesome games done quick speed runs from SDA's marathons and again, it killed my PC. No mouse or keyboard response, much less being able to use CAD or Ctrl+shift+esc...

So let's see...

Can't use any 10.* build of Flash because Youtube won't even accept playing any videos. Conversely, the HTML5 version of Youtube also requires Flash to be installed but won't explain why, and won't let me put the video playing in one window while I go attend to anything else (be it another tab, or another program). I'll confess, I got spoiled of being able to do that since I was finally able to hook up a second monitor to my PC.

Using 11.3 allows other sites to play video, but YouTube in particular won't let any video play, because it's some kind of bug to do with that build of Flash Player. Also, sites that use Flash to automatically determine the video quality to play (example: southparkstudios.com's full episodes, or even just what shows stream their TV shows online), doesn't.

11.4 crashed.

Google Chrome's Flash Player Crashed.

And predictably, 11.5.whatever it is now crashes, regardless of whether it's Waterfox or Firefox.

Updating video drivers hasn't solved the problem either.

I don't know what else to do here.

The only browser I haven't tried Flash on yet, is IE... which at this point would be an ad-laden land mine waiting to happen.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

The thing I would try is to go down to just one video card in your system. I see you have two of them, so power things off, physically take one video card out of your computer, and then run things for a bit and see what happens.

Regardless if it crashes or not, pull that card and run with the other one, and see if it crashes on the other one.

Then, report back your results to us, and see where we can go from there.

--Brian

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

But why should I have to do that... For Flash Player? that's what I don't understand.

Flash is infamous for being a CPU hog, not killing video cards, like Doom3 killed my first Radeon 9800 Pro.

And obviously the first immediate problem with doing that is that I'm immediately downgrading myself. And then the fact that it could be a couple days before the crash could happen.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

It would not be the first time software didn't work well with multiple video cards, and it won't be the last. Hell, installing nvidia drivers on a system with an active intel gpu, and a nvidia card with monitors attached to both caused the nvidia installer to leave the monitors completely black when it refreshed the drivers instead of rebooting, even taking out the monitor attached to the intel gpu. I had to wait for what seemed to be completion of the installer, and press the hardware power button to turn off the machine since I could no longer interact with the gui. This was the fault of nvidia.

Get a new cpu, and flash is not a cpu hog, it would be just like watching a movie in something like vlc without hardware acceleration. You just have half a decade old hardware.

kw0
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH

kw0 to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
It may also be worth your time to update any other lingering drivers you might have that are out of date. Chipset and sound drivers come to mind.

Also, if you have an integrated graphics card, you might as well try updating those too. (if they aren't disabled in BIOS/device manager)

I've been diagnosing issues like this on a friend of mines machine and he's in the same shoes as you.
60632649 (banned)
join:2003-09-29
New York, NY

60632649 (banned) to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0
Have you tried looking in compmgmt.msc to see if there are any error messages hitting your system's logs? That's a good starting point. I don't deal with Win7 but on XP it's Start...Run... enter in compmgmt.msc you'll see event logs.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

I used to at least know what to look for in Windows XP's event viewer, but I've yet to be able to figure out how to see what I need to see in Windows 7's version of it.

Even when I was able to see any errors, the only ones that would ever show up are those of it complaining about being shut down inappropriately, and NEVER about how flash FUBAR'd shit up
60632649 (banned)
New York, NY

to C0deZer0
Also unless you have a specific reason to use the latest flash version, why not just use a known stable old version? Uninstall the new flash, it's known crap, reboot, install the known good version, reboot, then you're computer's good to go. I'm using a seriously old version and I've never seen a website where the content doesn't play properly if it's flash based. v10 for the plugin, v11 for the activex, and get the raw setup from oldversion.com or something.

And don't worry about flash too much, it's so yesterday.
Please also turn off auto updates. Only update if there's a specific reason. Especially from a hack company like adobe.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
If you have a freeze it's generally hardware related, as in drivers allowed something to happen that shouldn't of happened, or some critical component of the operating system failed which could still be drivers. This is why I'm bringing up legacy drivers, if your 285 no longer has any real updated drivers, and they just updated physx/etc then this will likely continue to be a problem.

If flash, or the browser is just crashing, that's far more acceptable than drivers allowing something to cause the system to freeze.

I would assume your 8800 is on legacy drivers at this point, and likely also your 285 due to it's age.

If flash just crashes in chrome, and is recoverable then use that, you won't even need flash installed separately.

Also just because you run a 64-bit os, basically for the only reason of Microsoft forced people who have 4GB or more of memory to take full advantage of it instead of fully enabling pae doesn't mean you have to run 64-bit software.
60632649 (banned)
New York, NY

to C0deZer0
I suggest this, grab a video from yt, anything it doesn't matter, and play it using vlc or winamp. Does it work that way? Once you start knocking out things that aren't the cause, then maybe you can focus in on what might be the cause of your errant system's problems.

In the following don't install any retard toolbars or anything related to that. Don't just click OK to everything, you probably know that already but I had to say it.
Get vlc and winamp.
Grab youtubedownloader.
Grab this from yt, it could be anything, but I had to pick something and it's from Australia as is this site's owner Justin.

Crowded House - Fall At Your Feet (1991) HD

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· xWtkxztI

Download it with ytdl. Don't pick any conversion options, let it download to it's native format then let it play naturally through vlc or winamp, they should both work. Are you telling me that it doesn't play? If it doesn't then your system has some deep problems beyond flash.

Plus it should just play itself on the yt site.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to 60632649

Premium Member

to 60632649
Problem is, now I don't know which is going to be a "good" version of it anymore.

11.3 has a known issue where no video from youtube plays at all, with the only solution being upgrade or downgrade. And youtube won't allow any videos to play at all on 10.* or earlier.

I uninstalled Waterfox 16 and went to firefox 17, and it auto-installed the current version... and of course that crashed. Chrome eventually crashed the system, too.

I already am running the current version of nvidia's drivers - 310.70... heck, unlike ATI, these drivers would even still be good for my old 6600GT, where they obsolesced out support for the last Radeon card I bought six weeks after I bought it for another system that didn't have integrated graphics to go on.

Creative's site has listed no real driver update for the X-Fi in a while. Just some different software components. I also went and reinstalled the current/last chipset drivers that they had.

mjhouser
Premium Member
join:2001-10-06

mjhouser to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
How many flash videos per page/thread and how many "are" running? We did a simple test about 6 years ago on a Private web site. I am curious when your running into problems.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to 60632649

Premium Member

to 60632649
How do I get VLC to play stuff on Youtube when Youtube demands that I install Flash Player to actually see the content in the first place? This is where I'm confused.

Reinstalling the chipset drivers - a step I didn't really think would do anything - seemed to grant me some more time. Strangely, noticed that while playing, task manager would show two instances of the Flash Player Plugin, particularly when I select to have the video full-screen. I was just getting toward the end of SDA's Blaster Master Speed run for one of their "Awesome Games Done Quick" marathons before the video stopped, only to be followed by the audio, and followed suit by the PC just completely freezing over.

Only driver I've yet to uninstall and reinstall now would be the sound card. Downloading that as I type this. I'd really like for this bullshit to end, given that I got a vacay to go to in less than a week.
C0deZer0

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Reinstalled the sound card drivers. At first, i was hesitant because I thought I would have to do a full uninstall and (re)install.

Reinstalled Flash via Firefox's auto-download of it. Naturally now, set it to not auto-look for updates.

So far, so good.