uniqs
60632649 (banned)
join:2003-09-29
New York, NY

60632649 (banned) to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0

Re: [WIN7] Flash kills my PC

said by C0deZer0:

Reinstalled the sound card drivers. At first, i was hesitant because I thought I would have to do a full uninstall and (re)install.

Reinstalled Flash via Firefox's auto-download of it. Naturally now, set it to not auto-look for updates.

So far, so good.

Good, there's no reason that these things don't rip for you. I suggest turn off auto updates, it's not unknown that sometimes those muck things up. Just get a stable system, back it up, and work on from there.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Well, sadly, while it was doing good for a few days, it ended up crashing again.

Right now on vacay, just popping in quick to post this.

It had been problem free for a few days, but if I recall correctly, it ended up crashing when there were like three or four pages all trying to load Flash Player at once.

Another anomaly I don't understand is how when I was looking at the Task Manager, I now notice two instances of the Flash Player executable running - one wtih a teeny amount of RAM, another with more, whenever I run into a site that uses it for any reason. YouTube is the most common site that seems to kill my PC, because it is requiring me to have such a recent build installed in order to actually play any videos on it. I noticed that with other sites I go to for videos don't require as new a build as YouTube does.

I meant to post this sooner, but I won't be able to get back to my PC to do anything about it until Saturday, anyway.
C0deZer0

C0deZer0

Premium Member

I get home, start up watching some Gamecenter CX episodes on YouTube... crashes then. Dafuq, man?

Updated firefox... again... to 18 now. When is this madness going to stop!?
C0deZer0

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Whelp, today I made time to clean out my PC, and among other things, add a fan to the H50 so I can have a proper push-pull for airflow.

As I was unplugging and about to start reseating everything in the machine, that's when I noticed this...

Funny thing is, like I said, I didn't have any of my monitors ever connected to the 8800GTS, but this is what was up with the lead feeding it. Which is funny, because I know it'll stop POST if for whatever reason I leave it disconnected.

It makes me wonder if maybe this is why I was having so many problems with Flash Player? Thankfully I had a remaining lead from the power supply that was still perfectly good. But still...

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Being black, it was probably just a ground. There are multiples, so unless the other wires were undersize or the card really pushes to the current limit, I doubt if it would make a difference. Although if it was intermittent, it could have been causing small glitches.
Expand your moderator at work

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Whelp, frustratingly, it still killed my PC again.

This is so damned frustrating. I don't know what ticks me off more. The fact that it freezes the system so bad that no response from the keyboard and mouse works, so the only thing I can do is hit the reset button on the tower itself, or the fact that because it is so unpredictable, that I have no idea when it'll strike again.

Many times I could go for a few days of usage before it would 'strike.' Other times, like there was one day where it froze and killed my system four times in a single day.

I don't know what else to do. Updating drivers, extensions, browsers, changing browsers... nothing seems to resolve it.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
did you try sfc /scannow ?
»www.sevenforums.com/tuto ··· ker.html

any errors?

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Didn't try that yet... it was quite the puzzle just finding a way to run the command line so it'll actually let me do it.

Verification finished and found no integrity violations. So I don't know what else I could say...

Cartel
Premium Member
Chilliwack, BC

2 edits

Cartel to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
try running this uninstaller.
»helpx.adobe.com/flash-pl ··· ows.html

First use Ccleaner and clear your cache, make sure FF or any other browser is not running.
run the uninstaller after cleaning cache.

Goto my computer>tools>folder options>view>select show hidden files and folders, uncheck hide protected operating system files.

search for any folders named Adobe and folders named Macromed and delete them all.

go into task scheduler and look for flash update service, if its there, delete it.

reboot.

run the uninstaller again for good measure.
run ccleaner and scan the registry for errors, fix the errors found and back up the repairs, just in case.

run ccleaner and scan the registry for errors again.
keep repeating until it finds nothing.

then reboot again.

run the flash installer »www.adobe.com/products/f ··· on3.html and select never check for updates.

If that doesn't fix it, it will be something else like chipset drivers, etc.

BTW copy this text to a text file so you dont have to use any browsers to follow the steps.

download the stuff first before starting.

»www.piriform.com/ccleane ··· standard
Expand your moderator at work

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel

said by Cartel:

try running this uninstaller.
»helpx.adobe.com/flash-pl ··· ows.html

First use Ccleaner and clear your cache, make sure FF or any other browser is not running.
run the uninstaller after cleaning cache.

Goto my computer>tools>folder options>view>select show hidden files and folders, uncheck hide protected operating system files.

search for any folders named Adobe and folders named Macromed and delete them all.

go into task scheduler and look for flash update service, if its there, delete it.

reboot.

run the uninstaller again for good measure.
run ccleaner and scan the registry for errors, fix the errors found and back up the repairs, just in case.

run ccleaner and scan the registry for errors again.
keep repeating until it finds nothing.

then reboot again.

run the flash installer »www.adobe.com/products/f ··· on3.html and select never check for updates.

If that doesn't fix it, it will be something else like chipset drivers, etc.

BTW copy this text to a text file so you dont have to use any browsers to follow the steps.

download the stuff first before starting.

»www.piriform.com/ccleane ··· standard

Okay... tried all of that, and still got a crash today.

Cartel
Premium Member
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

I would try a new power supply.
If your was falling apart at the connector, it may be a sign.

Also check your motherboard for bulging leaking capacitors.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Nothing like that available.

Tried a new build of flash, tried new drivers... no caps like that on the board, or the graphic cards either.

I'm really sick of this crap!
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem

Premium Member

Maybe you'll need to live a flash free life. Wipe the drive, reinstall your OS, and don't install flash again. See if that eliminates the crashes.

If so, then likely that flash is the bad apple. If not, then it's time to track down other likely sources of the problem.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Problem is, no website that features videos will use anything but flash player. Even the so-called "HTML5" version of YouTube is both feature-neutered and still requires flash player to be installed in order for it to work. Which is aggravating, to say the very least.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Wrong. Get chrome, and disable flash while putting yourself in the youtube html5 trial as long as your hardware is strong enough to handle the gpu acceleration.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Won't work. Says it needs an h.264 decoder, and that in order to get said decoder for the browser, I have to have flash.

Also, Chrome is a poor substitute for Firefox. Even though Adblock exists on it, it doesn't support nearly as many lists as it does on Firefox or its many forks.

It also doesn't help that most of the video sites I go to have no app alternative for my phone, and won't use anything other than Flash in order to actually watch anything.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Do you have other hardware from which to build a second computer to see if you can replicate the problem?

Something definitely sounds wrong. I'm no fan of flash, but have had no problems with it killing any of my gear or my OS.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Sadly, no. I have some parts, but no hard drives with which to load an OS on any of them.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Used drives are plentiful and inexpensive now. And they are useful to have around for testing purposes.

We may have some here in the ForSale forum. Check with this seller.

He may still have some of the 80GB Sata drives available for $15 each shipped.

»[FS] FS - 80GB Seagate SATA 3.5" internal ST380811AS

I purchased one of those. It works fine.

or check Newegg for refurbished drives in the $15 to $25 price range.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· esize=20