Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to Cartel

Re: [WIN7] Flash kills my PC

said by Cartel:

try running this uninstaller.
»helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/···ows.html

First use Ccleaner and clear your cache, make sure FF or any other browser is not running.
run the uninstaller after cleaning cache.

Goto my computer>tools>folder options>view>select show hidden files and folders, uncheck hide protected operating system files.

search for any folders named Adobe and folders named Macromed and delete them all.

go into task scheduler and look for flash update service, if its there, delete it.

reboot.

run the uninstaller again for good measure.
run ccleaner and scan the registry for errors, fix the errors found and back up the repairs, just in case.

run ccleaner and scan the registry for errors again.
keep repeating until it finds nothing.

then reboot again.

run the flash installer »www.adobe.com/products/flashplay···on3.html and select never check for updates.

If that doesn't fix it, it will be something else like chipset drivers, etc.

BTW copy this text to a text file so you dont have to use any browsers to follow the steps.

download the stuff first before starting.

»www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Okay... tried all of that, and still got a crash today.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Cartel

join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2

I would try a new power supply.
If your was falling apart at the connector, it may be a sign.

Also check your motherboard for bulging leaking capacitors.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Nothing like that available.

Tried a new build of flash, tried new drivers... no caps like that on the board, or the graphic cards either.

I'm really sick of this crap!
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

Maybe you'll need to live a flash free life. Wipe the drive, reinstall your OS, and don't install flash again. See if that eliminates the crashes.

If so, then likely that flash is the bad apple. If not, then it's time to track down other likely sources of the problem.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Problem is, no website that features videos will use anything but flash player. Even the so-called "HTML5" version of YouTube is both feature-neutered and still requires flash player to be installed in order for it to work. Which is aggravating, to say the very least.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Wrong. Get chrome, and disable flash while putting yourself in the youtube html5 trial as long as your hardware is strong enough to handle the gpu acceleration.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Won't work. Says it needs an h.264 decoder, and that in order to get said decoder for the browser, I have to have flash.

Also, Chrome is a poor substitute for Firefox. Even though Adblock exists on it, it doesn't support nearly as many lists as it does on Firefox or its many forks.

It also doesn't help that most of the video sites I go to have no app alternative for my phone, and won't use anything other than Flash in order to actually watch anything.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Gem
Premium

Do you have other hardware from which to build a second computer to see if you can replicate the problem?

Something definitely sounds wrong. I'm no fan of flash, but have had no problems with it killing any of my gear or my OS.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Sadly, no. I have some parts, but no hard drives with which to load an OS on any of them.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

Used drives are plentiful and inexpensive now. And they are useful to have around for testing purposes.

We may have some here in the ForSale forum. Check with this seller.

He may still have some of the 80GB Sata drives available for $15 each shipped.

»[FS] FS - 80GB Seagate SATA 3.5" internal ST380811AS

I purchased one of those. It works fine.

or check Newegg for refurbished drives in the $15 to $25 price range.

»www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···esize=20