spc
Search similar:

uniqs
simon726
join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

simon726

[Extreme Plus] hardware issue or connection issue? - dropped con

I have a Cisco E2500 Dual-band Wireless N router (which I basically own) in my house and we use that to share our high-speed internet cable connection through Rogers. That Rogers modem is a Cisco DPC3825 - I converted that device into bridge mode.

So therefore my device setup are as follows:

Cisco DPC3825 (bridge mode) -> Cisco E2500 wireless router -> My PCs in the house - either wired or wireless

Lately, I've been experiencing some random disconnections with my wireless router. Every time I tried to go into a certain website for a certain amount of time along with watching streaming video online - my connection suddenly dropped - until it comes to a point that it has to reboot itself and then it does a reconnection.

I have three laptops and two desktops in my house. One of them is hardwired on one room on the second (2nd) floor (where the cable modem and the wireless router is located), the other is equipped with a wireless-N PCI card (the model of that wireless card is Linksys WMP600N) - that desktop is located downstairs in my basement.

I was wondering - could it be a hardware issue or a connection issue? It seems that I'm narrowing it down - to my hardware (I believe that the router is likely to blame) If I bought a very crappy router, which particular router would you suggest?

I heard some reports that one of the Netgear routers are the best. Only problem is, which model? I'm looking for the one with a USB so I could share my external hard drive.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

Re: [Extreme Plus] hardware issue or connection issue? - dropped

Netgear WNDR4500

Make sure to power down the DPC3825 before you connect the Netgear. Only connect the Netgear after your DPC3825 is re-powered and all the lights are solid green.
simon726
Ajax, ON

simon726

said by mozerd:

Netgear WNDR4500

Make sure to power down the DPC3825 before you connect the Netgear. Only connect the Netgear after your DPC3825 is re-powered and all the lights are solid green.

Thanks for your suggestion/recommendation. I realized that this particular router has 2 USB ports. What are those benefits of having USB ports on the back of the router?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by simon726:

I realized that this particular router has 2 USB ports. What are those benefits of having USB ports on the back of the router?

1 USB port for your external hard drive the 2nd USB port for your USB Printer should you want to have networking printing available versus sharing the printer on a computer. Networked printing makes the Printer available to anyone on the network without having a specific reliance on another computer being active.
simon726
Ajax, ON

simon726

Thanks for your response. I will be considering getting this particular router at some point in the near future. So far, everything seems to stabilize a little bit, but still - I'll be fine tuning to see if my currently router handles it.

I'm using a utility called inSSIDer and this does the trick by analyzing/scanning the Wi-Fi networks around my area. Overall, inSSIDer is a really good utility.

But still, I'm heading back to the drawing board - if all else fails. Along with that utility, the websites speedtest.net and pingtest.net are good too!