spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

weston631

@optonline.net

Check Engine Light - Knows very little about cars

I know very little about cars and can use some (detailed) guidance, please.

I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla with 155,000 miles, mostly highway miles. It has been regularly maintained at the Toyota dealership for all these years.

Last Thursday, I got gas at a Gulf gas station, and the gas attendant "overfilled" the gas tank after it clicked by about 55 cents.

The very next night, driving home from work, for the first time I ever had the car, the "Check Engine Light" came on and remained solid.

The next morning I brought the car to an independent tire/mechanic shop and they read the codes with their scanner. He didn't provide me with the codes, but said while he couldn't pinpoint the exact issue of the car with the codes, it was most likely the Oxygen sensor(s), Catalytic Converter or something emission related.

He reset the "Check Engine Light" and said next time it goes back on to come in and he'll check the codes again.

My car passed New York State Inspection a few weeks ago. The car seems like it is it running and driving fine, as far as I can tell.

1. Is it possible the "Check Engine Light" came on when there is no real issue?

2. Since he reset the "Check Engine Light", if it's a real issue, when will the "Check Engine Light" come back on? How many miles of driving, starts, etc?

3. If the codes did show something related to the emissions, (Oxygen sensors, Catalytic Converter , etc.), is it perfectly safe to drive for an extended period of time and many miles with the issue? (I rather not put more money into the car, and just buy a new car before next November, since I know it wouldn't pass inspection again.)

4. Is it "likely" that the car could have passed NYS inspection a few weeks ago, in addition to the Toyota dealer's "Multi-Point Inspection", and then developed this issue a few weeks later?

Your detailed response would be so helpful and appreciated. Have a very happy and healthy Holidays!

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

At this point, lacking any detailed information about what the actual trouble codes were, I would recommend just driving it as usual, and wait to see if the light comes on again.

Some vehicles are sensitive to being overfilled, but I am not sure on your particular car. If Cho Baka See Profile checks in, we can get more detailed information on that.

To be honest, I'm not impressed with the response your chosen mechanic gave you. He should have been able to pinpoint the code source, and how old each code (if there was more than one) is in the system. The range of potential issues is about as broad as it can be. I would have been happy if he said "fuel system problem" or "catalyst problem" but not all of those...

Anyway, if it runs fine, has no other operational issues and the light stays off, you can dismiss it totally. If it comes back on, please find a different shop to perform proper diagnostics, and if you wish check back here with the results.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
reply to weston631

There is no way putting another 55c in the tank set off the CEL. However you should check that the gas cap is on securely.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

said by PoloDude:

There is no way putting another 55c in the tank set off the CEL. However you should check that the gas cap is on securely.

This is what I was going to say. My mother had a 04 Ranger, and the CEL triggered, and I believe the fault was just a general emissions system code. The gas cap had a bad gasket. New cap and problem went away.

I'm weary of any mechanic that cannot (or will not) tell you what the codes are that come out of the PCM.
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Keep Calm and Carry On

weston631

@optonline.net
reply to weston631

Thanks a lot for the responses. I appreciate it.

The mechanic I went to that read the codes wasn't my mechanic. I've always used the Toyota dealer since 2003, but because I didn't want to wait all day at the dealer, I just brought it to the local shop and they read the codes for free, and reset the "Check Engine Light". It's now off, but I'm wondering when the CEL will come back on, if there is a real issue?

I tightened the gas cap prior to having the CEL reset, but it seemed like it was tight already. It was night time and hard to see.

If there is a real issue, would the CEL come back on after driving 100 miles, 200 miles, etc? Thank you so much!!

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

If the light comes back on, then yes, it needs to be addressed. As I noted, a proper diagnostic needs to be completed that will isolate the nature of the problem.

As far as when it will come back, that is up to the situation at hand; No problems present to cause the light to come on again, then it won't be back on at all, at least for that particular problem. The more significant the issue, the faster it comes on. For example, an engine misfire that is detected will immediately cause the light to come on, and if it is a persistent misfire, the light will actually flash to signify "take care of this NOW!". This is because a persistent misfire condition can cause damage to the catalytic converter, as well as cause excessive tailpipe emissions in the form of raw, unburned fuel.

Other problems that are less critical and non-damaging may take several "detection cycles" to set a trouble code and turn on the light. If the problem is detected over a certain number of start-stop cycles, or for a certain length of time, it will come on. Then there are codes that will be set in the computer but don't cause the light to come on at all. Typically these will be body-control module issues, and some drivetrain scenarios that are out of range. They are detectable only when a technician performs diagnostics, and then they can be addressed if needed.

There's a quick and basic explanation of the Check Engine Light display strategy.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to weston631

gas caps are fairly cheap so if it turns out to be that than its a minimal issue.

Is it mission critical though is what I wonder. As in if someone never fixed the gas cap would the car be harmed? as in does the gas tank have to be kept at a positive pressure?
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by Kearnstd:

if someone never fixed the gas cap would the car be harmed? as in does the gas tank have to be kept at a positive pressure?

No and No.

In New Jersey, you would fail inspection.

weston631

@optonline.net
reply to Kearnstd

Since the CEL was reset a few days ago, I drove about 200 miles and maybe turned the car on/off 20 to 30 times.

The CEL has not come on again yet. Is that a "good sign" or do I still need to give it more driving cycles and more miles?

Thank you so much!!

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

Sounds like it was just a loose gas cap.

Now you know which mechanic NOT to go to!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

said by Kearnstd:

if someone never fixed the gas cap would the car be harmed? as in does the gas tank have to be kept at a positive pressure?

No and No.

In New Jersey, you would fail inspection.

Yea I know they check the gas cap on this goofy adapter thing hooked to an air compressor and a computer. Mine has never failed thankfully.

I wonder how they test those fords that have no gas cap.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

You also fail if the check engine light is on, or if the car's diagnostic port indicates a problem with the gas cap.

weston631

@optonline.net

Update:

The CEL came back on (after about 250 miles and a few days) so I brought it to the Toyota dealership.

They said the code was P0420. (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold)

I just passed inspection a few weeks earlier (before CEL came on) but they said it was just a "coincidence" it happened right after.

Is it safe to drive with this issue for several months? I'm not due for another inspection for several months and before next inspection, I rather buy a new car. I already put a lot of money into the 2003 Corolla.

They quoted me about $1700 for the new catalytic converter and “reflashing the computer”, which is also needed.

While I certainly don’t want to add to the pollution, from a mechanical point, is it perfectly safe to drive for many months and many miles?

Thank you so much!!!

shdesigns