spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ryguy
@cox.net

ryguy

Anon

Download speeds down from 29Mb to 6.8Mb

Over the course of the past week I've upgraded my speed package on my account from preferred (18Mbps) to premier (27Mbps) reporting speedboost figures.

* Prior to upgrading, my download speeds would pull around 22Mbps on preferred pkg using my SB5120. Upload speeds would max around 7-10Mbps depending on the time of day. Download was consistent
* After upgrading to the premier package, I was still on a SB5120 modem, and my download speeds were now constantly pulling 28-29Mbps. Upload speeds were up to 12-14Mbps.
* I then upgraded from my Docsis 2.0 SB5120 modem to a Docsis 3.0 SB6121 modem
- Download speeds now 28Mbps minimum and fluxed to 32Mbps depending on time of day and site
- Upload speeds improved drastically to 29Mbps on speedtest (thanks2 powerboost on the multiple streams bonding uploading)
* I then decided the upload speeds didn't justify my upgrade of the modem just yet, as I wanted to go back and purchase a modem more future-proof with 8 bonded downstream channels when I had the money. At THIS point, I called in to Cox, reverted back to my old modem (STILL on the preferred package).
- Download speeds : 6-12Mbps
- Upload speeds : 11-13Mbps

... Something has changed.

I called Cox phone support and went through their tasks of unplugging the modem. They said they found a firmware upgrade for the 5121, so they sent me that over the line. Rebooted the modem and router again and still pulled slower speeds. At which point they instructed me to bypass the router, and after this attempt and reboot of the modem, I am pulling the slowest download speeds yet, of 6Mbps.

My physical cables have not changed. I've ensured there is no interference coming from power cables or anything, although it's shielded cable anyways. Both ends of the cable connection are securely fastened, as well as clean contacts to the modem and wall respectively.

What gives? I'm guessing it has to do with being on a different primary channel(stream?) on the Cox back-end did when I moved to a more capable Docsis 3.0 modem which was suitable and fine with multiple bonded streams, and unfortunately without the bonding is slower downstream than my previous routing? I don't know, and don't understand since nothing on my ends changed. Please help

- Ryan

------

Downstream Value
Frequency 831000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 41 dB
QAM QAM256
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level 3 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 29600000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 1867
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/s
Power Level 44 dBmV
Expand your moderator at work