share rss forum feed

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

Auto Transmission fluid

I have 80k+ miles on my 03 Ranger. Should I change my fluid now? its on the darker side and smells slightly burnt.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

I firmly believe in good fluid maintenance on most all autos. Each case is different of course, but I would suggest you have a reputable shop perform a full fluid flush at that mileage. You can likely get by OK with just dropping the pan and changing the filter, but you leave much of the old fluid in the system with that "old" method.

If the miles were higher I would go with *both* a flush and a filter change. At 80k you are OK with just the flush. The "slightly burnt" smell you are getting is not abnormal however, as fluids today have a much harsher smell to them, and have some of that odor right out of the bottle.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA

1 recommendation

reply to Jackarino
yes.

at 80k I'd probably have it pumped out but I'd ask them not to put in anything other then fresh fluid.
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to Jackarino
IMO, if the fluid is going brownish, I would certainly get the filter and the fluid changed. Especially if the truck is subjected to towing, or hot summertime temps, freeway gridlock etc.

I'm not a fan of hot solvent flushes some places like to sell, though.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
reply to Jackarino
Thx for the input. The shop by me in Ramsey is having a Christmas special.

Automatic Transmission flush for $94.99
»www.classicautospa.com/
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016