Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to CoxTech1

Premium Member

to CoxTech1

Re: [ALL] Cox Annual Speed Upgrade

Yep, doubled the speed, but left the old usage caps.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

Yep, doubled the speed, but left the old usage caps.

Absolutely worthless... guess its a way to get folks on business accounts.

Iceman0803
join:2012-05-18
Glendale, AZ

Iceman0803 to skeechan

to skeechan
The pages for my area (Glendale/Phoenix) still show 55Mb max Ultimate speed. On a side note it's kind of odd because I actually get 65Mb with powerboost.

Finalnight8
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

Finalnight8 to raven2510

to raven2510
said by raven2510:

said by skeechan:

That is weird. In Cox OC they have increased the speeds of at least one of their tiers every year for as many years as I can remember and current tiers are about the same as all the other markets.

I don't even get my "PAID" for speed. They over subscribe the hell out of Omaha. They are maxed for bandwidth here for sure. I never see speedboost anymore because there is no more headroom or free bandwidth.

Well duh, Centurylink here is like the D-league of providers. Though moving to east o and switching to DOCSIS 3.0 modem helped a ton.

jsimmons
MVM
join:2000-04-24
Falls Church, VA

jsimmons to Rakeesh

MVM

to Rakeesh
said by Rakeesh:

This is a very unreliable test due to powerboost poisoning the results.

Use shaperprobe if you want accurate results.

Good Tip... Thx. Hadn't seen shaperprobe before. Tried it numerous times at different times of day/night. Gives very consistent results run-to-run:

Upstream: Burst size: 2939-3120 KB;
Shaping rate: 6384 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 14465-14742 KB;
Shaping rate: 34458 Kbps.
bryant313
join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

bryant313 to Beezel

to Beezel
so i called cox today and was asking about the new firmware for my Cisco DPQ3212 and was told cox does not do firmware updates and you have to download and install them your self and was told this by 3 different reps

i thought Cox was supposed to push new firmware to the modems automatically?

so i called one more time and spoke to one more rep who told me that Cisco pushes their updates through Cox and if you want the newest firmware you have to call Cisco

i have never had this many issues with trying to get some firmware before
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well it seems either tonight, or yesterday. My Cisco DPQ3212 firmware was updated to the Jun 1st 2012 firmware. Cox is the one who pushes the firmware update, if your modem hasn't got the update yet. It's possible cox hasn't pushed it in your area. Only tip I can give you, is you may be able to push, and hold the reset button on back of modem for about 45 second's. See if the modem picks up the new firmware while rebooting. As I have seen case's of a new firmware being pushed out, and a modem somehow missing the update. Then at a later time when the modem is rebooted, it picks up the new firmware update.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

well i tried all that and still did not get the firmware update

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to bryant313

to bryant313
said by bryant313:

so i called cox today and was asking about the new firmware for my Cisco DPQ3212 and was told cox does not do firmware updates and you have to download and install them your self and was told this by 3 different reps

so i called one more time and spoke to one more rep who told me that Cisco pushes their updates through Cox and if you want the newest firmware you have to call Cisco

That's because your question wasn't on their script that they read from.

jsimmons
MVM
join:2000-04-24
Falls Church, VA

jsimmons to bryant313

MVM

to bryant313
said by bryant313:

Not sure if the policy/procedure has changed, but in the past I simply PM'ed one of the Cox reps on this forum asking for a firmware push to my modem. After sending them the hardware mac address, they updated it for me to the correct Cox-supported release.

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas to bryant313

to bryant313
said by bryant313:

Our front line people really don't know about the different firmwares.

New firmwares are generally slow-rolled (unless it's a security fix), automatically over a few weeks. The various people on here can force an update to an individual modem if required (usually you get a new modem with an ANCIENT firmware and it hasn't been hit by the automatic sweep yet).

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog to Beezel

Premium Member

to Beezel
sigh.

If you can, please find out what location this happened in. It's clear we need to do a little refresher course on how modem firmware works.

BTW, the tier1 reps generally don't do manual code upgrades. The process is automated to happen in the middle of the night. During the shift between one version to another, we can however manually upgrade you to the "new" code. After that "new" code is approved, it is automatically deployed each night to any modem that doesn't have it.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas
i was able to get the new firmware

i got it some time late last night
bryant313

bryant313

looks like it will be year 3 of price increase followed by no internet speed increases
kboxvegas4
join:2001-11-29
Las Vegas, NV

kboxvegas4

Just got off the phone with Cox about my node issues, looks like the speed upgrades are hitting Jan 31st. Premiere is going to 50/10 and ultimate is going to 150/20. This is for Las Vegas, dont know about the rest of the markets.
EyeInTheSky
join:2010-09-20
Las Vegas, NV

EyeInTheSky

That would be awesome....but sounds too good to be true.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to kboxvegas4

to kboxvegas4
i certainly hope that is true but i think the rep meant to say that premier would go to 36 down and 10 up and ultimate would go to 100 down and 20 up but i could be wrong here

AnonPhx
@cox.net

AnonPhx

Anon

I just got off the phone and was told preferred was going to be 25/5, Premier was going to 50/10 and Ultimate was being raised to 150/20.

This was for the Phoenix market and was also told it was coming Jan 31st.
Azlen
join:2010-05-03
Peoria, AZ

Azlen

That's good news. I wonder if the data caps will change as well.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to AnonPhx

to AnonPhx
no kidding well if were getting positive results i guess it can be safe to say its very possible hopefully its true and the reps are not embellishing it
Smith5
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13

Smith5 to AnonPhx

Premium Member

to AnonPhx
I was told the same thing today for Las Vegas. That's great news!

jh20001
TheSaint
join:2012-11-18
Las Vegas, NV

jh20001 to bryant313

to bryant313
I still don't think it's impressive unless they work on the down/up ratio a little better. I want to see 50/20 in Vegas. 50-25 is even better giving it a 2-1 ratio but 50/20 will do. For crying out loud quit choking the upstreams. My network has so many video-related devices (home monitoring with 8 cameras, netflix streamed all throughout the house, 2 xboxs, video telecommunications and more). It is HORRIBLE (unbearable) with 2.5 up and 10 won't be that much more impressive to me. Let's see 20. The tech can handle so much more, so at least 20. It's like they want to keep milking it and milking it until the cow shrivels up and dies. Just get with the times already lol. I want to evolve. I want everything to evolve. Take advantage of what is about to come real soon, in regards to future tech that will require larger bandwidth pipes (and that will be nothing compared to 4k and 8k which is right around the corner).
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well jh20001 See Profile, if you really think cox is just holding back on you, you are really sadly mistake. The D3 upgrades were a big boost to the download capacity, but upstream is still very limited. With the current system in place, there is a max of 5 available upstream channel's, and the low frequency channel's are easily affected by noise related issue's. Which can cause the low channel's bandwidth capacity to be cut in half due to noise. If you want better download/upload speed ratio's, I suggest you finding a better place to live that can offer you FTTH, and has the capacity to offer the kind of speed's you want.

Because the boost in upload speed, we are starting to see with the upstream channel bonding. Is mostly likely gonna be the biggest increase in upload speed in the next couple year's. Since the next project cable company's are gonna work on is Docsis 3.1, which will help open up some more upstream capacity. For the kind of speed you would like, even if cox did that with the current setup. You want to talk about overloaded node's? Because that is what will happen on the upstream side, causing node split's, which are not cheap for the company. They are just playing it smart, while still giving a decent boost in upload speed.

The key thing that need's to be discussed next really, is the residential internet bandwidth cap's. As the current cap's have been the same for the last couple year's, and now with these bigger boost in speed's. It only makes sense the cap's should be raised some.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to kboxvegas4

Premium Member

to kboxvegas4
I am skeptical of 150/20 because a few markets in New England got their upgrades and Ultimate was bumped to 100/20 and caps were unchanged.

»ww2.cox.com/residential/ ··· ult_0329

150/20 would be really sweet though.
Needleinthha
join:2009-11-30
Chandler, AZ

Needleinthha

said by skeechan:

I am skeptical of 150/20 because a few markets in New England got their upgrades and Ultimate was bumped to 100/20 and caps were unchanged.

»ww2.cox.com/residential/ ··· ult_0329

150/20 would be really sweet though.

I agree, I seriously doubt we would have higher speeds than new england where they have fiber to compete with...the only competition here is us west...er...qwest, wait, i mean century link. they can keep changing their name but their service has sucked for centuries. i would be happy if we would get upgraded to 100/20. but even that sounds too optimistic to me...guess we will see.

jh20001
TheSaint
join:2012-11-18
Las Vegas, NV

jh20001

50/20!!!
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

It may not be official, there appears to be that premiere is now up to 45 megs according to their website.

Would be nice if Ultimate got an increase.

This is pathetic, Cox..

-Rob

unfeo
@cox-sd.net

unfeo to bryant313

Anon

to bryant313
Will the increases affect Business speeds?
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

bryant313 to Smith5

to Smith5
i was also told the same things today when calling cox for a packet loss and tilling on the tv

i was told premier is going too
62mbps down and 12mbps up

ultimate he said was 180mbps down and 30mbps

i think these are with power boost but at these speeds power boost seems unnecessary

and yes he said it would take effect on January 31st

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I think they all have no clue LOL.