Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FatBastid

join:2012-12-27
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

reply to Leathal

Re: If TekSavvi doesn't fight on Jan 14th, I'm leaving them.

said by Leathal:

Back in the 1980 and 1980s the Canadian Copyright Law allowed you to make a copy for your own person use. I bet you didn't know this did you? The law become more relaxed with CD burners started to flood the market place because the board of the Canadian Copyright decided to charge a small fee on record able digital media to try and recover some of the cost (if not all of it) from people pirating stuff.

Now that we have evolved to where we are now piracy has increased 100 fold the hidden fees aren't covering 1% of the figured amount of music, movies and software that is being pirated. So the have to take extra steps now...do I blame them? NO. You shouldn't either.

So your complaint really doesn't hold any water, the internet is a place that has grown over the years that its become more easier to track people through the IP's and such which why every person that has been suspected to be a pedophile is one. They track them the same way they now are tracking you downloading those pirated warez, movies, and songs to your computer every night.

The law says $100 to $5000 for all infringements. So why are you standing on your soapbox and cheering on a company who is manipulating the court by filing for $20,000 and asking for disclosure of all the defendant's financial information? The next time you do a rolling stop at a 4 way intersection will you pay $20,000 to the court? Your actions put the public interest at risk a lot more than someone watching a B movie. Copyright is not the same as property rights. It exists to protect the public interest, by providing incentive for the creation of new works. In that it must be balanced, and should not allow revenues from litigation to dwarf the revenues from the merits of the works. The inherent value of a work is dictated by the marketplace. If people stayed away in droves when you put out your work, maybe it's not worth much to begin with. Unless you can seed a torrent 2years later and sue a 12 year old kid for his college fund. I said it before but maybe it needs to be said again: people should not get things for free, but neither should companies. Respect for the law goes both ways. Voltage is making a mockery of our new laws, and only a fool would applaud that.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by FatBastid:

Copyright is not the same as property rights. It exists to protect the public interest, by providing incentive for the creation of new works. In that it must be balanced, and should not allow revenues from litigation to dwarf the revenues from the merits of the works. The inherent value of a work is dictated by the marketplace. If people stayed away in droves when you put out your work, maybe it's not worth much to begin with.

Well said. This is what Copyright law was created for, not as a source of revenue. Those who argue otherwise need a fresh cup of coffee.

Damen

@teksavvy.com
reply to Tx

I've been following this forum for awhile now, as a long time customer of TSI, I am too thinking of switching, it's right now 50/50 for me. I've been through many transition periods with TSI when their DSL went through the UBB issue and the growing pains when they first brought in cable access to our city and now this. I do have to admit, it has me kind of scared, even though I'm not on the "list", if TSI gives in on the 14th, they will be an easy target for other companies that are probably implementing tracking as we speak, once one bully takes your lunch money easily, the others will follow suit.

I agree with TX, I was also once falsely accused of something that I did not do, trust me, it's not as hard as anyone thinks, just because it's never happened to YOU doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I don't know about you guys, but I have 3 teens at home, I can't keep an eye on them 24/7 when they are using the internet, no one can and if anyone says they do, they are lying so don't even try cause you're full of it. I don't want to get a letter cause my daughter downloaded some mp3 she wanted to play at her friends sleep over, really.

The thing with me is that I can't feel safe using my internet anymore after all this with TSI, I use the internet for my business and to think that now there's even "more" prying eyes really doesn't give me much confidence.

I agree, keeping a shorter log retention probably would be the best idea, just the thought of keeping someone's usage log for that long gives me the hibbee jibbees..

TX is correct, business is business, when it comes down to it, it's bottom line and share holders, we really don't matter. I've worked in retail for years and it's kind of similar, managers will pat you on the back for selling lots and do the "rah rah" meetings in the morning and talk about "good" costumer service blah blah blah, but when the time comes, they will not hesitate to pull the carpet out from under you and can your ass if it means a better bottom line.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to Boop

IMO the benefits of staying with TSI far out weight those for leaving. Always had good service, the price is right and I'm good with TSI's stance on net neutrality and fairness to customers. Really don't think there would be many if any alternatives out there. Under the same or similar circumstances any Canadian ISP would do pretty much exactly the same as TSI.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

apvm

join:2003-02-14
London, ON
kudos:1

said by AkFubar:

IMO the benefits of staying with TSI far out weight those for leaving. Always had good service, the price is right and I'm good with TSI's stance on net neutrality and fairness to customers. Really don't think there would be many if any alternatives out there. Under the same or similar circumstances any Canadian ISP would do pretty much exactly the same as TSI.

I was with Golden.net in the beginning and they were still the best, too bad they sold it to Execuelink and I was with them until they raised their price and lowered the cap to a point that it was no longer economical for me. I switched to Teksavvy about 2 years ago or maybe three on a group 300GB plan, the price was right at the time but now after the price hike, it is starting to lose the price advantage.

You may be right about there are not really any alternatives out there but if they are doing what others will be doing. I'll be doing what other consumers are doing, get the most economical ISP since they have already proven that they were not the "friendly neighborhood" ISP they were advertising themselves to be.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to AkFubar

said by AkFubar:

What benefits? Bandwidth? lol... You know why TSI was a target right? Any billy joe bob knows TSi stood up for it's customers rights for a fair internet back in the day and fought to keep "unlimited" a reality, but really... is unlimited needed?

That question is a tough one. For me our house uses netflix a lot. For $8 a month, we push bandwidth to it's limits and still come under a cap.

Not saying caps are right, because their not, considering what bandwidth really costs them, it's chump change.

That said, Teksavvy put a target on their foreheads long ago fighting for customers rights to download/upload (aka bandwidth) and now when things get tough, where is this fight?

There is a reason TSI was target #1. Rogers has a much higher customer base... why not them?, why not bell? Why not Telus? You're pretty well known for being very biased towards Teksavvy, so your opinion isn't really an opinion when it's not objective or subjective to certain criteria, such as right to being fairly treated.

Handing my IP over is copping out and leaving me to the wolves. To fend for myself. Now where most naive people seem to get lost in themselves is "Don't do anything illegal and you're fine". Furthest thing from the truth.

1. Teksavvy screws up the process of who to contact based on IPs handed over. 42 people for example
2. IP is spoofed. Far more common then anyone knows and you'll never know unless you become falsely accused, but hey... keep it legal.
3. Wifi is being hacked/shared by an neighbor and while he/she is laughing while downloading the next twilight you're on the hook because companies like Voltage don't care who in the house, just that it's that account holder.

I'm not a gambler so playing with those odds are not for me. I don't want to be brought up on possible charges based on something as silly as being one of the next 42 mistakenly notified but missed next time.

Why is the burden up to me, to defend myself? I've kept it legal. I'm a legit guy. I like supporting things i like. Thus i've supported TSI but not this decision. People are so ignorant to the simplicity of sharing a connection that because it hasn't happened to them, it never will.

It's as naive as saying i've never been mugged on the streets before, so i don't mind going out at 1am anyway. Until it happens a new perspective arises. Problem is why are people waiting until it happens to then bitch and moan?

Biggest problem with this country when it comes to our prices (retail, internet, cable, telephone, cell) is we wait just accept it rather then question it.

Hey it's cool though, it hasn't happened to bob. probably never will...

AkFubar

Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Tx:

said by AkFubar:

What benefits? Bandwidth? lol... You know why TSI was a target right? Any billy joe bob knows TSi stood up for it's customers rights for a fair internet back in the day and fought to keep "unlimited" a reality, but really... is unlimited needed?

That question is a tough one. For me our house uses netflix a lot. For $8 a month, we push bandwidth to it's limits and still come under a cap.

Not saying caps are right, because their not, considering what bandwidth really costs them, it's chump change.

That said, Teksavvy put a target on their foreheads long ago fighting for customers rights to download/upload (aka bandwidth) and now when things get tough, where is this fight?

There is a reason TSI was target #1. Rogers has a much higher customer base... why not them?, why not bell? Why not Telus? You're pretty well known for being very biased towards Teksavvy, so your opinion isn't really an opinion when it's not objective or subjective to certain criteria, such as right to being fairly treated.

Handing my IP over is copping out and leaving me to the wolves. To fend for myself. Now where most naive people seem to get lost in themselves is "Don't do anything illegal and you're fine". Furthest thing from the truth.

1. Teksavvy screws up the process of who to contact based on IPs handed over. 42 people for example
2. IP is spoofed. Far more common then anyone knows and you'll never know unless you become falsely accused, but hey... keep it legal.
3. Wifi is being hacked/shared by an neighbor and while he/she is laughing while downloading the next twilight you're on the hook because companies like Voltage don't care who in the house, just that it's that account holder.

I'm not a gambler so playing with those odds are not for me. I don't want to be brought up on possible charges based on something as silly as being one of the next 42 mistakenly notified but missed next time.

Why is the burden up to me, to defend myself? I've kept it legal. I'm a legit guy. I like supporting things i like. Thus i've supported TSI but not this decision. People are so ignorant to the simplicity of sharing a connection that because it hasn't happened to them, it never will.

It's as naive as saying i've never been mugged on the streets before, so i don't mind going out at 1am anyway. Until it happens a new perspective arises. Problem is why are people waiting until it happens to then bitch and moan?

Biggest problem with this country when it comes to our prices (retail, internet, cable, telephone, cell) is we wait just accept it rather then question it.

Yes I m well known for for my position on TSI and I said as much previously. And you're biased against TSI. You'll stop at nothing to trash any loyal TSI customer with your B$ calling them names and trying to belittle them. We make a good pair of opposites but really, your no better or different than I am.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

2 edits

said by AkFubar:

said by Tx:

said by AkFubar:

Yes I m well known for for my position on TSI and I said as much previously. And you're biased against TSI. You'll stop at nothing to trash any loyal TSI customer with your B$ calling them names and trying to belittle them. We make a good pair of opposites but really, your no better or different than I am.

I'll stop at nothing? Bud, i have 2 TSI connections. One at my office and one at home. I've been a customer since early 2004. My post was pretty polite and furthest thing from belittling anyone.
It's also better to be unbiased about either side. Of which I am. I don't act like they are a the best nor do i say they are the worst.

Your comments 100% of the time are about how awesome TSI is with you and how amazing they've been and how they've been great with you and how their awesomeness cannot be matched. Thus biased. You won't even admit to any of their faults as you repeat the same thing to people how "well they've treated you".

Instead of commenting on my post you go on the defense & attack.

Typical.

Let's start off with the basics then... What opinions of yours outweigh that of leaving TSI? What benefits are there over anyone else? Why are these benefits better for everyone as a whole?
Price? Caps? Wait times for help? Install problems? communication issues? Privacy issues ? Not with just this IP thing but posting customer conversation logs on a public forum for example?

Better yet, address my concerns in my post.

minim30

join:2010-09-30
London, ON
reply to Boop

Hey now guys, play nice Let's see what the new year brings. Happy New Year everyone!

apvm

London, ON
reply to AkFubar

LOL, my loyalty lies with my wallet. Happy New Year.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by apvm:

LOL, my loyalty lies with my wallet. Happy New Year.

Very well said. Unfortunately some will show an undying loyalty to a company no matter it be TSI or Apple, no matter the cost. Even if it means privacy.

Apple was caught with this after a hacker got ahold of some info on an FBI agents laptop with apple customers iphone info and identifying info the phones have without us even knowing it.

FatBastid

join:2012-12-27
Toronto, ON
reply to Boop

I'm curious as to why, when Voltage accused TSI of a PR movement in asking for postponement, TSI didn't take the opportunity to question the targeting of TSI, exclusively. Certainly IP's from the larger players where found in much greater numbers when Canipre monitored those torrents. If Voltage is defending its copyrights, why did it strip those out? Where is the motion asking for Rogers and Bell to disclose customer info? Where's the action against that much, much larger number of Doe's? There's obviously an agenda here, but even though TSI is being harmed, no protest. Odd.

rrrrapirate

@sasknet.sk.ca

Completely speculating, but I wonder if targeting the little guy (little by comparison to Bell & Rogers) has something to do with TSI likely having a lot fewer resources to be able to defend their customers.

Perhaps the goal is to go against someone who they would perceive as weak... have a court force the ISP (TSI) to hand over any available customer info, then have legal precedent when they do it again with some of the larger players.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by rrrrapirate :

Completely speculating, but I wonder if targeting the little guy (little by comparison to Bell & Rogers) has something to do with TSI likely having a lot fewer resources to be able to defend their customers.

Perhaps the goal is to go against someone who they would perceive as weak... have a court force the ISP (TSI) to hand over any available customer info, then have legal precedent when they do it again with some of the larger players.

Yup. What they've done before in the US, is go after smaller ISPs, get a bunch of settlements, and stockpile that money to go after bigger fish.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to Boop

For once i think it'd be a nice thing to see all ISP's in Canada band together to fight for a common ground.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

said by Tx:

For once i think it'd be a nice thing to see all ISP's in Canada band together to fight for a common ground.

CIPPIC's doing it for free, on behalf of all Canadians. They're not asking for costs, and asking that no costs be assigned to them.
--

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by resa1983:

said by Tx:

CIPPIC's doing it for free, on behalf of all Canadians. They're not asking for costs, and asking that no costs be assigned to them.

Not quite the point. All ISP's banded together and said a metaphoric eff you, it'd send a bigger message then CIPPIC

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

said by Tx:

said by resa1983:

said by Tx:

Not quite the point. All ISP's banded together and said a metaphoric eff you, it'd send a bigger message then CIPPIC

I really recommend listening to this:
»canadiantechnetwork.podbean.com/···a-ep-03/
--

DVA

@teksavvy.com

I have already started the ball rolling, start communications here I come, not sticking up for the people that pay their bills is one thing, but their CEO seems to be on here putting up a lot of smoke and mirrors and posting misleading half truths. Good-by and good riddance.

thedc

join:2012-01-09
Toronto, ON

I've been following this discussion for a while, mostly just to educate myself, but what makes you think that Start Communications would stick up for their customers?

DVA

@teksavvy.com

Who knows what start would do, but we all know what teksavvy did, not only that I can get rid of my crappy DSL connection.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

said by DVA :

Who knows what start would do, but we all know what teksavvy did, not only that I can get rid of my crappy DSL connection.

You might want to read some of the threads in the Canadian Broadband Forum. From what I can see, they keep logs at least a year, and would almost certainly comply with a court order.

(getting rid of crappy DSL is another issue though)

apvm

London, ON
reply to DVA

said by DVA :

+1 Teksavvy gave in and the wolf pack will soon close in on them. What guarantee do Teksavvy offer when the next "Voltage" comes knocking for customers information that they will not make mistakes?

They made 42 mistakes last time.
Expand your moderator at work

jkoblovsky

join:2011-09-27
Keswick, ON
kudos:2
reply to apvm

Re: If TekSavvi doesn't fight on Jan 14th, I'm leaving them.

said by apvm See Profile
+1 Teksavvy gave in and the wolf pack will soon close in on them. What guarantee do Teksavvy offer when the next "Voltage" comes knocking for customers information that they will not make mistakes?

They made 42 mistakes last time.

When you look at the whole situation here, ISPs in general are not standing up to our privacy rights. That's cause for a lot of my concern in all of this.

The CIPPIC will be insuring that the public interest around privacy is brought up in court. I think for the most part due to the CIPPIC involvement with this case that Teksavvy subscribers interests in privacy will be represented. This may not be the case if you choose to go to another ISP.

While I strongly disagree with how this was handled by both Teksavvy, Voltage, Bell, Distributel; PIPEDA is up for review, and there is renewed calls by consumer and privacy advocacy groups (including all of Canada's Privacy Commissioners) to ensure this legislation contains some pretty hefty fines for companies who don't respect our privacy and charter rights.

IMO Charter rights should be fully upheld by the company you do business with. Copyright should not trump privacy or your right to be protected against unreasonable search and seizure. Until the law has been updated to reflect that and severely punish businesses who don't respect those rights, drop off the map completely by using Tor/VPN services. Use encrypted communications and e-mail. I had an excellent interview with digital privacy expert Chris Parsons a few months back, in which he does give some pretty good advice on how to protect your privacy online. The interview can be found:

»canadiantechnetwork.podbean.com/···a-ep-02/
--
My Canadian Tech Podcast: »canadiantechnetwork.podbean.com/
My Self Help and Digital Policy Blog: »jkoblovsky.wordpress.com/

Arcturus

join:2008-04-18
London, ON

One of the huge problems is that even if you don't use your internet at all. If you are a subscribers you can be one of the 5% or even 0.1% of errors that still gets your privacy violated and blackmailed..

This absolute lack of any factual provable evidence is insane.

Right now we are trusting in some 3'rd party company who collected data that their data is 100% accurate (I wouldn't be making bets on that) then second we rely on the scum lawsuit company to sort that data, and pass it onto their lawyers 100% accurately (again not making any bets). Then we rely on our ISP collecting all the data to match the first data 100% accurately (we already know for a fact that doesn't happen).

3 points of major failure where someone data entry operator can do one slip of a fingers and cost anyone thousands of dollars, (or hundreds of hours of time).

This is why we need to fight this crap.

kabes

join:2010-05-14
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Arcturus:

Right now we are trusting in some 3'rd party company who collected data that their data is 100% accurate (I wouldn't be making bets on that)

Actually they still have to prove their case in court, it's up to a judge to decide if the data is accurate.

Since supposedly this company collected this data WITHOUT being approached by Voltage, and instead went and collected it on their own and then sold it to Voltage to make profit, it seems very suspect indeed. Why else would they need to log 1 million Canadian IP addresses as they've claimed? There's no way every movie studio and every music studio has hired them to do this. They see it as a cash grab.

If it goes through all we can hope is a lot of people have the guts to fight it and not cave to the extortion tactics. Next time a judge will think twice about tying up the courts over stuff like this.

Arcturus

join:2008-04-18
London, ON

said by kabes:

Actually they still have to prove their case in court, it's up to a judge to decide if the data is accurate.
...snip

That is the problem, with Teksavvy not fighting, they don't need any proof at all to blackmail you!! Seemingly just a unconfirmed list of IP's and times, and all your information is theirs....

Teksavvy wants to hand you information over, proof or not. The Judge is *extremely* likely to rule in Voltages favour of getting our info when both main parties involved seem to want it to happen...this is why we are so disappointed Teksavvy isn't fighting this.

Epiralawler

@mnsi.net

First of all I am not a lawyer, nor am I certified to practice law in the province of Ontario. Neither is anyone so far in this thread that I can identify. Please take everything heard here with a grain of salt and seek the proper advice if its needed.

If tek fights this like poeple want it will mean Tek is actually incriminating itself (as a company) for wilful commercial infringement (because they are profiting off of the data).

Remember there is no 3rd party exemption for ISPs in Canada (or anyone else). If an ISP (or IP owner/poster) doesn't bend over and negotiate--it gets held responsible for 3rd party usage of the assets it is responsible for.

In essence, the ISP is responsible not you, unless the ISP sides with the plaintiff completely. This is going to either have to be modified in an amendment to the Copyright Act, or through case law (as it has not been tested yet) but this is how the law works here.

An ISP can argue during discovery (like others have) that the evidence is flawed but again that is as a defendant not an innocent 'dumb pipe'. If the ISP loses that battle, then it is now defending a full blown-out corporate lawsuit.

Vonage has filed the suit to say "give us the data Tek Savvy or were suing you Tek Savvy for the commercial infringement claimed herein. They are suing Tek for the data to go after the individual, or for the money from Tek itself.

Essentially it means Tek could be liable for a minimum of 40 million dollars. (or 2 billion depending on the Judge's decision). That would kill the ISP off completely, assets and all.

Tek isn't going to destroy itself for 2 or 3 percent of its client load, privacy or not. Why is it so hard for some people to get that....

Also few comments on worst case scenario:

-- CIPPC filed amicus to ensure privacy and charter rights are going to be respected when (and if) the data is to be transferred. That includes ensuring due process is given. Neutral evidence was presented to suggest Vonage's Request was not in compliance with the law. CIPPC did not comment on the validity of the claim just the method of handling it.

-- What is reasonable will be determined on the 13th. This will include (if allowed) a reasonable grace period for Tek to pursue requisite disclosure per privacy laws.

-- The case is being heard in Superior Court. That means the trial process is more complicated and detailed. It is more then likely a Part 13 trial as well, that means you have a full variety of defence strategies. This includes cross examination of everything including the validity of a commercial claim against you.

(FYI this costs an additional $200 or so and 1 form. For both forms in your Statement of Defence, your looking at $600, plus 2-3 hours of legal assistance to structure your argument properly. All of this can be recovered if you are successful)

-- You cannot be held liable as a "Jonn/Jane Doe" in Canadian court. You have to be identified by your legal name when being accused of something. You can Motion to dismiss ($200) if, by any chance your account with TekSavvy has errors in proper identification.

-- This also means that Vonage will have to file a claim in each region where the individuals reside. You can be accused with 20, 30, or more but it has to be filed in your region of residence listed in the (valid) information from Tek Savvy.

-- Because of this you will be given plenty of time (30 days) before you have to appear in court. Remember this will have to be a new claim for due process to be followed, so the clock resets.

This is also why CIPPC intervened.

-- If you are identified and for some odd reason were not notified per the ruling on the 13th you can hold Teksavvy liable for causing you distress and violating your privacy rights. This can be handled in small claims. I'm surprised that with of this aggressive language in this thread no one has looked at this angle already...

AkFubar

Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Boop

I agree with your post. Expect to be flamed if you tell the facts as they are in this forum. Certain people here will criticize you if appear in the slightest to defend Teksavvy's position in this. As TSI Marc has said, there is a lot of negativity here.
--