join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Lagz

Re: Some Firefox Users Can Dump Adobe Flash

said by Lagz:

It's about time. Coding to play video in browsers might become a little easier.

That's great, but can we block it like with FlashBlock extension for Flash and SilverLight videos?

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

1 edit
said by antdude:

said by Lagz:

That's great, but can we block it like with FlashBlock extension for Flash and SilverLight videos?

So you would prefer Firefox keep lagging in HTML5 compliance and still have to rely on Adobe Flash to play videos? I am glad HTML5 is enabling web developers to ditch flash. Flash has lots of vulnerabilities. You would think as long as flash has been around it would have hardened itself by now, but its developers don't seem to be in a rush. Why would they at this point, since HTML5 is replacing the need for flash.
--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

1 recommendation

said by Lagz:

but its developers(apple)

Lol wut? Flash is currently owned by Adobe who bought it from Macromedia...

/M

Lagz
Premium
The Rock
said by mackey:

said by Lagz:

but its developers(apple)

Lol wut? Flash is currently owned by Adobe who bought it from Macromedia...

/M

opps .. was thinking of something else
--

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Lagz
There ought to be a FlashBlock-like extension to handle HTML5 videos, because the last thing I want is video ads autoplaying or even downloading automatically.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
Technically that would be noscript.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to redxii
Get Adblock Plus. Free FF extension. I haven't seen an ad since installing it.

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
reply to BlitzenZeus
Frankly noscript is a pain in the ass to just block specific functionality, using it being akin to masochism, and ABP won't work if the video doesn't fall under ABP's filters (not talking so much ad networks but solo efforts of the web designers to have a video start playing).

There's a way to disable autoplay in Firefox but if YouTube found a way around it everyone else can.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

Lagz
Premium
The Rock
No script might be a pain to use, but if more people used it there would be less infections thus making my life easier. I use it and have no issues with it.
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to redxii
I see you don't care for it in it's default mode, it's easy to have it allow all scripts globally, and then you can filter out the advertising sites so sites by default will work as intended. There's things noscript can protect you from even in the global mode also by default like cross server stuff. I like to combine noscript, and flashblock so I still get the chance to click to play for flash on sites I've allowed to run scripts.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Lagz
said by Lagz:

said by antdude:

said by Lagz:

So you would prefer Firefox keep lagging in HTML5 compliance and still have to rely on Adobe Flash to play videos? I am glad HTML5 is enabling web developers to ditch flash. Flash has lots of vulnerabilities. You would think as long as flash has been around it would have hardened itself by now, but its developers don't seem to be in a rush. Why would they at this point, since HTML5 is replacing the need for flash.

I don't mind dumping Flash, but are there any ways to block them?
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to BlitzenZeus
Mozilla has "click-to-play", which would block it.
Similarly NoScript can block it.

But there is a Bug 659285 - Extend media.autoplay.enabled to provide a way to disable untrusted play() invocations, which breaks it for both.