Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Lagz

Premium Member

to Lagz

Re: Some Firefox Users Can Dump Adobe Flash

said by Lagz:

It's about time. Coding to play video in browsers might become a little easier.

That's great, but can we block it like with FlashBlock extension for Flash and SilverLight videos?

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

1 edit

Lagz

Premium Member

said by antdude:

said by Lagz:

That's great, but can we block it like with FlashBlock extension for Flash and SilverLight videos?

So you would prefer Firefox keep lagging in HTML5 compliance and still have to rely on Adobe Flash to play videos? I am glad HTML5 is enabling web developers to ditch flash. Flash has lots of vulnerabilities. You would think as long as flash has been around it would have hardened itself by now, but its developers don't seem to be in a rush. Why would they at this point, since HTML5 is replacing the need for flash.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey

Premium Member

said by Lagz:

but its developers(apple)

Lol wut? Flash is currently owned by Adobe who bought it from Macromedia...

/M

Lagz
Premium Member
The Rock

Lagz

Premium Member

said by mackey:

said by Lagz:

but its developers(apple)

Lol wut? Flash is currently owned by Adobe who bought it from Macromedia...

/M

opps .. was thinking of something else

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan

1 recommendation

redxii to Lagz

Mod

to Lagz
There ought to be a FlashBlock-like extension to handle HTML5 videos, because the last thing I want is video ads autoplaying or even downloading automatically.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Technically that would be noscript.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn to redxii

MVM

to redxii
Get Adblock Plus. Free FF extension. I haven't seen an ad since installing it.

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan
Asus RT-AC3100
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

redxii to BlitzenZeus

Mod

to BlitzenZeus
Frankly noscript is a pain in the ass to just block specific functionality, using it being akin to masochism, and ABP won't work if the video doesn't fall under ABP's filters (not talking so much ad networks but solo efforts of the web designers to have a video start playing).

There's a way to disable autoplay in Firefox but if YouTube found a way around it everyone else can.

Lagz
Premium Member
The Rock

Lagz

Premium Member

No script might be a pain to use, but if more people used it there would be less infections thus making my life easier. I use it and have no issues with it.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to redxii

Premium Member

to redxii
I see you don't care for it in it's default mode, it's easy to have it allow all scripts globally, and then you can filter out the advertising sites so sites by default will work as intended. There's things noscript can protect you from even in the global mode also by default like cross server stuff. I like to combine noscript, and flashblock so I still get the chance to click to play for flash on sites I've allowed to run scripts.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Lagz

Premium Member

to Lagz
said by Lagz:

said by antdude:

said by Lagz:

So you would prefer Firefox keep lagging in HTML5 compliance and still have to rely on Adobe Flash to play videos? I am glad HTML5 is enabling web developers to ditch flash. Flash has lots of vulnerabilities. You would think as long as flash has been around it would have hardened itself by now, but its developers don't seem to be in a rush. Why would they at this point, since HTML5 is replacing the need for flash.

I don't mind dumping Flash, but are there any ways to block them?

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to BlitzenZeus

to BlitzenZeus
Mozilla has "click-to-play", which would block it.
Similarly NoScript can block it.

But there is a Bug 659285 - Extend media.autoplay.enabled to provide a way to disable untrusted play() invocations, which breaks it for both.