Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

1 recommendation

How the internet became a closed shop

»www.theage.com.au/technology/tec···rcp.html

Some interesting tidbits an overview.

A tidbit from me.
The other day i was in a taxi and the speed warning on his GPS was going off within seconds of his driving habits.
And very accurate too.
I made some mention of this (of hand) and he became quite defensive.
I pondered what sort of back end to these satellites and cloud engine driving it and thought that big data was at least compiling a juicy white-list.
Merry xmas to all and safe driving
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
said by ashrc4:

I pondered what sort of back end to these satellites and cloud engine driving it and thought that big data was at least compiling a juicy white-list.

Actually you have no reason for concern. Most GPS'es you see in vehicles etc are receivers only just like radio. Unless the GPS is connected to something else (the internet via a wireless modem etc) your data is your own

Which makes me wonder. Does Santa use GPS these days? I do know that Bob, through NORAD, track him. Is no-one immune from tracking?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
Me is still thinking it's a three way handshake to receive the warning?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Nope. GPS receivers can calculate, from position measurements, speed and direction etc. That and the maps in many contain speed limits etc. You can even get red-light camera databases to warn you Maybe Oz has Multinova databases as well (?).

(Don't forget that Taxi's contain two-way radios. I wouldn't be surprised if the Taxi company relays GPS data from it's vehicles back to base).
--

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to StuartMW
Actually, a lot of commercial vehicles have communication with the GPSes on their vehicles. The last company I worked for had them on all of their trucks so that they knew where they were - writing you up for going over the posted speed limit was just a perk.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Agreed. But GPS per se only gathers the info. As I said if it's connected to radio/modem/the internet then you're "in The Matrix".
--

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
quote:
...if it's connected to radio/modem/the internet then you're "in The Matrix".
Correct - and some are. The older units they used would page the office manager if you went above a set speed, but the new ones know about the posted speed limits, seat belt usage, and who knows what else, and provide a lot more information to the management.