beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

[hard drive] Had a SSD die on me..

My primary SSD went and died on me, no warning no nothing. It just out of the blue quit on me. The drive in question is a 180GB OCZ Agility 3 (p/n AGT3-25SAT3-180G), and was purchased new the 3rd week of July this year. The failure in itself was nothing out of the ordinary, I has started up Firefox and the system blue-screened. Unfortunately when the computer rebooted, the OS would not load. In fact the drive itself would not show up in the BIOS.

I tried the drive on two different motherboards and my laptop. No luck on the motherboards, but on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L875-S7308) the drive was recognized as just "IDE". Windows install failed, it would complain that it was unable to initialize the drive. Tried in both UEFI and Legacy modes.

Is this normal for a SSD to fail like this? To up and die with absolutely no warning and/or error messages of any kind?

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2

1 recommendation

SSD's utilize Flash memory. In my experience this is how Flash memory typically dies - with little to no warning. Hopefully you had a good backup!

beerbum
Premium
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

yeah.. all my important files and stuff are stored on a second drive - and all that data is backed up on my remote NAS (on-site and off-site.)

I didn't really lose anything, except for o/s settings & customizations - instead of re-installing Win 7, I broke down and finally installed Win 8 on the drive which I had just bought to upgrade my laptop. All is good now, just need to RMA the bad drive

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to beerbum

I've had two OCZ Agility drives in a row die within four hours. Got the Intel X25 to replace them and its been working great since March purchase date.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to beerbum

So there are still people out there NOT using an Imaging program to image there system partition.

Greatest thing ever invented, the imaging programs that is. Drive fails, install a new/other one, boot the PC from the Rescue media and your back up and running in 15-30 minutes.

Or Reinstall and do all your settings and programs without an imaging program.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx

1 edit
reply to beerbum

said by beerbum:

Is this normal for a SSD to fail like this?

Yes.

Anyone considering an SSD purchase will want to first comprehend the three storage densities currently in use: Single, Multi (which now, in most usage, refers to two), and Triple-Level per cell. What fails is the cell gates and triple wears them out fast. Great article here:
»www.anandtech.com/show/5067/unde···tlc-nand

IMHO, TLC is (currently) wrong-headed no matter what your read:write ratio, MLC is most people's best option, and many single-drive devices (eg: laptops) shouldn't get an SSD at all. That last decision involves weighing alot of disparate variables.

Wish I had experience with high-bred storage (mechanical drive with a large (5-20 GB) integrated NAND presence) as it's an excellent concept. Don't know if currently available implementations are good.

spookypuff66

join:2003-11-10
Silverthorne, CO
reply to beerbum

Try the below link or visit your product forums. Try the "power cycle" reset method to allow the SSD to self correct described in below link it may be all you need?

»forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State···-p/65215

beerbum
Premium
Reading, PA

too late to try.. already got the replacement on monday..