spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jsoto

@verizon.net

Give me a Laymans Breakdown on VOIP (backend)

Can anyone give me a laymans terms on how how the *premise phone* talks back to a Asterisk server (registration server) - and or How a Premise Phone makes a Phone Call to Anybody in the World..

The entire call is not the connection back between point A - Sip Phone and Point B - the registration server is it ?

I am having numerous issues with our Asterisk provider and running traceoutes/pings to the Registration Server shows no latency issues back to it.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6

Endpoint (your phone) --> Your gateway (for example, Asterisk) --> Carrier (a CLEC or ILEC) --> Terminating Carrier --> Endpoint (landline phone)

If you go up a layer, to the IP level, you'll have a number of routers and network links that make up the connection from your endpoint to your gateway. Each one of these is an additional potential point of failure.

If your testing shows that communication between your gateway has no problems, then I'd suspect the problem to either be with your Asterisk server or between your server and the carrier. If you don't control the gateway the latter will be challenging if not impossible to diagnose for sure.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

jsoto

@verizon.net

So the PSTN is always talking to the Gateway ?

To conclude, if I'm not seeing ANY latency issues or weird blips on the routes it takes to the Gateway, the numerous issues I am seeing is not *the internet connecton* -- aka, our fault.

I'm having various issues likes calls coming in, and I can't pick them up. The only way to get rid of the call is to hit Reject. NUMEROUS call quality issues, dropped calls, etc.

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to jsoto

I'd test another provider and see if the issues still remain.

jsoto

@verizon.net
reply to jsoto

Just so I'm 100% clear....as long as I'm not latent packets or funky routes between me and the *registered server*, then whatever issues I am having is either on providers backend & or how he has his servers tied to the PSTN.

At this point, they swear they are good on their end, if they were having issues, they would have X customers impacted.

The issues I am having --- I am having/seeing this in 5 different sites.....

jsoto

@verizon.net
reply to jsoto

This Test till Not help me out right ?

Our main # is with the provider.
IF I have the provider forward all calls to another *test phone* I have with a different VOIP provider, it would be a MOOT test since all the calls are still coming/forwarding off their *gateway* right ?

I've got a new phone with provider #2 and want to use it in the *real world* so that we can deduce and say it's not our network, etc- the problems with this alternate phone just work. However, in order to do such, I would need main # calls to come to this test phone

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to jsoto

said by jsoto :

I'm having various issues likes calls coming in, and I can't pick them up. The only way to get rid of the call is to hit Reject. NUMEROUS call quality issues, dropped calls, etc.

said by zephxiii:

I'd test another provider and see if the issues still remain.

said by jsoto :

At this point, they swear they are good on their end, if they were having issues, they would have X customers impacted.

The issues I am having --- I am having/seeing this in 5 different sites.....

said by jsoto :

This Test till Not help me out right ?

Sorry, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out what you have and haven't done...

zephxiii See Profile recommended a standard troubleshooting technique that will assist you eliminating some of the unknown variables.

IP phones can normally handle multiple accounts.

If I were conducting this test, I would:

• 1. Select one site

• 2. Create two free CallCentric IP Freedom accounts.
    This will give you two CallCentric Network 1-777-xxx-xxxx phone numbers (no need to fund account - CallCentric in-network calls are free).

• 3. Select a phone (let's call this PhoneA) that will register to two accounts - one at your current provider, and one at the 1st CallCentric account.

• 4. Select another phone (let's call this PhoneB) that will also register to two accounts - one at your current provider, and one at the 2nd CallCentric account.

• 5. Use PhoneA to call PhoneB using your current provider.
    Note any call issues.

• 6. Use PhoneA to call PhoneB using CallCentric by dialing PhoneB's 1777xxxxxxx phone number.

You may have to modify the dialing plan for PhoneA to route 1777xxxxxxx phone numbers through the CallCentric registration.

If this is too much of a challenge, then unregister PhoneA from your current provider, then call PhoneB's 1777xxxxxxx.

If there are no call issues, I would use PhoneA (if you unregistered PhoneA from your current provider, please re-register PhoneA to your to current provider) and call PhoneB using your current provider.

If there are call issues, then you just eliminated your equipment (phone, switches, routers, ISP) as being the source of the call issues.

said by jsoto :

I've got a new phone with provider #2 and want to use it in the *real world* so that we can deduce and say it's not our network, etc- the problems with this alternate phone just work. However, in order to do such, I would need main # calls to come to this test phone

CallCentric also offers free New York phone numbers ($1.50/month E911 cost recovery fee if you are in the US or Canada, plus New York state taxes if you are in New York).

jsoto

@verizon.net

The providers phone is a Polycom but I don't want to touch anything on the providers phone

I currently have a Polycom setup with another provider
We have been using it with outgoing calls PROBLEM FREE.

Per the next steps, as stated, I plan to have our # forwarded to the test phone. HOWEVER, since their *gateway* is the question mark for us at this time, with having our # being forward to this test phone, is this even a good test *even though our # is being forwarded out from their switch*. If I have bad phone calls, I can't necessarily say it's a issue on our end, because the calls are still being forwarded out from X provider.

Does this make sense..

jsoto

@verizon.net
reply to SCADAGeo

One more thing for all you Asterisk gurus.

It turns out that a portion of the issues we see, on their end, apparently they are not seeing us registered with them, even though calls are ringing through, etc.

I'm not new to VOIP....and like my OP said, traceroutes , etc look clean and not latent at any times if the day.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2

said by jsoto :

The providers phone is a Polycom but I don't want to touch anything on the providers phone

Perhaps having two softphones (Zoiper, Ekiga, Linphone, X-Lite, etc) connected via LAN at a site would help?

said by jsoto :

I currently have a Polycom setup with another provider
We have been using it with outgoing calls PROBLEM FREE.

Per the next steps, as stated, I plan to have our # forwarded to the test phone. HOWEVER, since their *gateway* is the question mark for us at this time, with having our # being forward to this test phone, is this even a good test *even though our # is being forwarded out from their switch*. If I have bad phone calls, I can't necessarily say it's a issue on our end, because the calls are still being forwarded out from X provider.

Does this make sense..

No, not really.

I realize that with 5 sites, the issue _appears_ to point to the provider, but I have yet to read that you have tested _a complete circuit_ to eliminate the equipment at any of your sites.

Why is this troubleshooting step necessary?

It will eliminate any _potential_ issue that _may_ be caused by equipment (phones, switches, routers, firewalls, systems, modems) that automatically updated its firmware/software/rules.

said by jsoto :

One more thing for all you Asterisk gurus.

It turns out that a portion of the issues we see, on their end, apparently they are not seeing us registered with them, even though calls are ringing through, etc.

I'm surprised that your customers are receiving calls when their equipment is not registered with the provider.

said by jsoto :

I'm not new to VOIP....and like my OP said, traceroutes , etc look clean and not latent at any times if the day.

No offense meant, it's a challenge trying to gauge a person's experience level by a post.

jsoto

@rr.com

Quick update. Was on a call on the *bad phone* and was watching network statistics.

Jitter - all looked within norm. 15 being max on the call, but on average it was 0-10 at most.

Under lost packets, on the phone status, it did report 40 lost packets over the course of a 20 minute call.